Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • long travel ss
  • lock
    Free Member

im talking 160 travel any material hardtail ss,

dont bother telling not to or why just want some frame options ,see some pics and hear from riders who are riding this kind of bike

im looking at the transition transam at the mo ,dont want a santa cruz

CountZero

I read a review a while back on one of the US sites of the Transition as a SS. the rider was doing North Shore stuff, and thought it was a stupid idea at first, but totally changed his tune after getting used to the bike. He loved it, and IIRC he had a pair of Totems on the front! I don't see any problems if you've got the legs/stamina to pedal the thing. I've got a hooligan On-One 567 which I've got 160mm Nixons on, which has slidey drop-outs, so I could easily convert it to SS. you could try an O-O 456 with a chain tensioner. Nice cheap steel frame, chuck some Lyrics, Nixons or Fox 36's on. Sounds like a bundle of laffs to me. Go for it, who sez a jump/trail bike has to have 100mm forks.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Banshee did a frame suitable for this. It weighed a ton though. CRC now flog them cheap for what they are. Heavy though…..

Clicky linky thingy

psychle
    Free Member

one of the chaps on here is selling a Banshee Morphine… I've been tossing it up as an option for exactly this kind of thing (though I'd have a 150mm Specialized E150 fork up front and an alfine out the back)…

psychle
    Free Member

that Scratch actually looks pretty good built up…

What's the deal with the bottom bracket though? And would an alfine fit it OK??

Rex
    Free Member

Evil sov?

lock
    Free Member

the banshee does look nice but to heavy,the soverign seems ok but pricey

psychle
    Free Member

I've picked up a Orange Sub-zero and will be fitting one of these to run an alfine on the back (I don't like tensioners)… could be a good solution for you as well?

nbt

Brant will be doing a singlespeed Blue Pig – designed for 140 to 150, not sure about 160 though

CountZero

Hey, what's 10mm between friends? A 160 fork with a tad more sag ought to be fine.

Kuco

10mm a lot on a commencal it void any warranty.

CountZero

Who's talking about a Commencal? We're talking about a Ragley Blue Pig. I'm pretty sure Brant has designed his frame in such a way that 10mm difference won't matter.

Kuco

eh eh Calm down

si-wilson
    Free Member

Our Chumba Hx1 will take up to 160 mm travel and has an EBB for SS duties.

Rickos
    Free Member

I'd defo look at that Chumba. EBB that's set real low (11.75 inches IIRC) which means that it isn't stupid high even when the chain tension is adjusted, unlike the Chameleon that starts at 13 inches and only gets higher!

CountZero

I was just having a shufti at that Banshee, and half it's weight has to be in those wheels! Those tyres must be over a kilo apiece. Just having a lighter wheelset would make it a proposition. Cool looking bike, always had a soft spot for Banshees. Still think a 456 with one of those EBB adaptor jobbies would be ideal. Not too heavy, tough enough for most riding you're likely to find in the UK, and Alpine stuff as well.

lock
    Free Member

anyone else checkout the transition am

cynic-al
    Free Member

not the same but I run 130mm forks on my ht. I find it odd that folk think they are too long, but I'm not doing the kind of riding that justifies anything longer.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘long travel ss’ is closed to new replies.