Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Long shot: Minolta scanner + Mac; software that actually works?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Minolta Dimage ScannerElite 5400. Mac Pro, 10.6. Scanner software V 1.1.6 is shite, and just stops working after scanning in one image. Had enough. I just want the **** thing to work. Minolta/Konica went bust I believe, and Sony who bought the remains aren't supporting their stuff any more, which I think is bang out of order. The thing does work after a fashion on my old iMac in 10.3.9, but that thing is soo slow and can't handle 5400dpi scans.

This is really pissing me off; a £600 scanner and no support. Wish I'd bought a Nikon one.

Anyone got any solutions? Anyone using one without problems? 3rd party scanner software that actually works?

**** digital shite.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Tried the mac forums?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Tried Googling, but not getting much at all. It's an older scanner, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

I may have to install a Tiger partition on a HD, use that to do scans. Annoying though.

It's a pity, because it gives fantastic results when it works. The software's always been flaky though.

Just wondered if any photo/designer types on here might have knowledge and experience of using one.

CaptJon
    Free Member
    trailmonkey

mac incompatibility issues. who'd have thunked it ?

woody2000

Vuescan maybe?

http://www.hamrick.com/

Sandwich

VueScan is your friend at Hamrick software.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh here we go. There's always one, isn't there? 🙄

It's not a 'Mac Incompatibility Issue'*, it's shite software that just doesn't work properly. KonicaMinolta (now owned by Sony) aren't supporting older kit any more. Nice way to treat your customers. I wouldn't even mind paying a few quid for a driver. I will never ever buy their products again. Ha! That'll learn 'em! Bastards.

I have discovered 'VueScan and 'Silverfast'. Anyone got any experience of these? Downloading trial version of VueScan. Fingers crossed…

*I have a 10 year old HP printer that simplyplugs and plays,a swell as an Epson. Neither need drivers. Don't even start with Windoze; I have a PC with XP SP2. Utter shite.

trailmonkey

i have a g3, awesome machine. just suffers from mac incompatibility issues.

carry on.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No maybe it suffers from Trailmonkey issues… 😉

My old G3 iMac is fine, it's just a bit 'slow' by today's standards. It is 10 years old. Trying to get it to handle a 120MB file with dust removal, 16-bit colour etc is asking a bit much of it. The MacPro is the bollocks machine for all this, yet the KonicaMinolta software is shit.

VueScan seems to be quite good. Only £25 or so, too. And apparently it can work with my old neglected mothballed Umax scanners. It's even got settings according to what brand/speed/type of film you're scanning! Plus dust removal. Hmm.

CountZero

mac computer incompatibility issues. who'd have thunked it ?

Fixed that for you. Try getting that scanner to work with a Windows 7/Vista machine.

RaglanSurf
    Free Member

I've tried Vuescan and didn't really get on with it, it was clunky and I wasn't that impressed with the results so have stuck with the Nikon software, I've heard good reports of Silverfast, it's supposed to be very good but not particularly intuitive.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Try getting that scanner to work with a Windows 7/Vista machine.

You think I like getting upset, sobbing uncontrollably and feeling useless?

No thanks. I don't care what anyone says- Windoze is shit. End of.

VueScan seems a little 'quirky', but far better than the Minolta shite. I'm going to try my flatbeds with it tomorrow.

CountZero

No thanks. I don't care what anyone says- Windoze is shit. End of.

My point exactly.

DrJ

Wish I'd bought a Nikon one.

NikonScan is no better – won't work on Snow Leopard :-((

RaglanSurf
    Free Member

You can download an evaluation copy of Vuescan, it puts dollar signs on the scans as a watermark, not sure about Silverfast though.

DrJ

I've heard good reports of Silverfast, it's supposed to be very good but not particularly intuitive.

Not particularly cheap, either :-((

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

NikonScan is no better – won't work on Snow Leopard

Or with a Minolta scanner, for that matter.

VueScan looks like the one. It works, at least. I'll give it a go with some slides and my flatbeds before I commit a whole Twenty Five Pounds though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Long shot: Minolta scanner + Mac; software that actually works?’ is closed to new replies.