Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Long shot – Campden Tablets
  • funkynick

Now I know this is a long shot, but I know there are some brewers on here… but does anyone in the Rugeley area have any Campden tablets?

We just got a load of apples to make some cider, and I just realised we don’t have any, and want to get the apples pressed before they start going bad…

john_drummer
    Free Member

Wilkinsons (Wilkos) will have them. Should be open Sundays

Cougar

I have some.

Where the Frank is Rugeley?

funkynick

Tried there, they are sold out at the moment… and are listed as being sold out on the website as well…

I think things are conspiring against me, even the homebrew shop in Burton was closed when I went over earlier!

funkynick

Just the other side of Cannock Chase from Cannock… half way between Lichfield and Stafford…

Cougar

Well, if you’re up for a 200 mile round trip you’re welcome to mine. (-:

funkynick

I appreciate the offer so thank you, but that might just be a little far….

I was kinda hoping there might be someone closer!!

neilc1881
    Free Member

I’ve just pressed 180 litres and don’t ever add anything to it. I know some do say to add Campden tablets and then leave for a day before adding yeast. I just press, get the airlocks on and let it get to work naturally. So long as the fermentation kicks in within a day or two it will prevent any of the moulds developing which would spoil the cider.
    There is a risk you will get more spoilage without using the campden tablets, but I like the idea of not bothering to add anything.

Neil

Haze

Bottled water?

E2a Ah, cider…-assume you don’t want them to knock the chlorine out the water then…

funkynick

I had originally planned with going with your plan Neil, but after speaking to several experienced cider makers they convinced me it was a good idea using the tablets…

And now panic over… I just had a flash of inspiration and remembered that I had bought some, and where they were… wooo hooo!

funkynick

Also it looks like I am getting a shed load of pears tomorrow as well… it looks like it’s going to be a busy day!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I pressed my first batch of early wind fallers yesterday and added less than half the recommended dose of tablets to discourage the nasty yeasts and let the good natural yeasts dominate. Hope the theory works.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Long shot – Campden Tablets’ is closed to new replies.