• This topic has 62 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by piha.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • London to Brighton -Offroad
  • covertbaz
    Free Member

Recently signed up with a buddy of mine, and wondered if there were any other like minded loonies takin part in the 75 mile challenge for British Heart Foundation?

And of course opportunity for an unashamed plug for sponsors 🙂 please text BAZS54 £1 to 70070

enfht
    Free Member

I’m signed up. Need to fit in some high mileage rides beforehand. Hoping for good weather like last year..

sleigh62
    Free Member

yep ….. me and several other family members …. a few of whom are having 2nd thoughts …… haven’t done a bhf one since the first ‘south west randonee’ over the quantocks and exmore … that was a bit further and a bloody nightmare! 😯

trevron73
    Free Member

I am signed up with the hotels Owner and his Personal trainer. We are gonna set off at same time then i’ll see them at the finish ,ha ha

njee20
    Free Member

Half of it is just the Downs Link, it’s the easiest off road 75 miles you could do, don’t worry.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Did it last year and am entered again.

It’s quite easy, you just need to do some long rides to adjust to being in the saddle for a few hours.

Last year I did quite a few longer rides running up to the event, topping out at 50 miles about 2 weeks before which was more than enough. I did most of my longer rides on the road on an MTB with fast rolling tyres. There’s a couple of hilly bits, but they dont last long, and as has been said a big percentage of it is the downs link, so gravely old railway line.

If you’re of good allround fitness and can squeeze a couple of long rides in beforehand, you’ll be fine.

MrAgreeable

I helped sweep the route the other year. With the possible exception of the Downs Link (which is easy but a bit monotonous) it’s lots of fun.

There’s a write-up with a few pictures here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/london-to-brighton-off-road-lots-of-pics

Despite what the bloke above is saying, it’s got some tough bits. The last off-road climb from Upper Beeding is fairly brutal. Overall though it’s pitched at riders of moderate ability. In the past they’ve organised some pretty savage rides (100 miles round Exmoor was one, I think) and the dropout rate shot up to the point where it wasn’t worth running.

covertbaz
    Free Member

Looking forward to it, and will defiantely be attempting to get some longer time in the saddle as a build up

Should any of you also going want to meet up on the day and ride together, for the pub stops and some general comaradery then let me know and sure we can organise something

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve entered this years one. Did a reasonable amount of the course last year as I met a friend who was doing it. Have to say the climb at the end of the downslink out of Upper Beeding is pretty tough!! Then a long winding descent follows from the top of Truleigh Hill.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m doing with two mates, sticking on some slick ish tyres and my most padded shorts

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m doing with two mates, sticking on some slick ish tyres and my most padded shorts.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m doing it, solo at the moment but trying to rope someone else in.
    Is it a timed event – with transponders?

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Would it be doable on something like a cotic roadrat(rigid) with cross tyres?

jeffskowski
    Free Member

There were a few riders last year who did it on road bikes with slick tyres but the weather was perfect. If it is wet and muddy then I would say it would not be a pleasant experience.

stimpy
    Free Member

It’s not timed – it’s a charity bike ride. You should be getting loaded up on sponsorship for the BHF.

You get water en route if you’re quick enough to get through the check points before they run out of water.

There’s no food provided at all.

There are definitely no transponders for time recording. There is no mechanism for time recording at all unless you bring your own (GPS or cycle computer).

Rigid with CX tyres will be fine, even if it rains, unless the rain is fairly heavy. Some sections will get quite muddy if it rains heavily.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

could always use a stopwatch? 🙂

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Don’t suppose anyone on here strava’d their ride last year? I’m organising an informal ride from Kingston there with work for charity next month and we need to find our way without the signposts that BHF put up. A strava map would be excellent as I could streetview sections to find bridleway turnoffs etc.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member
    brakes
    Free Member

Stimpy said:

It’s not timed – it’s a charity bike ride. You should be getting loaded up on sponsorship for the BHF.

Thanks Stimpy, I think 😉 .What if I bring my own transponder and timing beacons?
    I’ve raised £700 so far for the BHF.

waldo1
    Free Member

I did it last year and have signed up again.
    I strava’d it too.
    Hope the weather is like last year.
    The time in the saddle is a bit tedious and leaving the hardest climb to the end is just demoralising.
    Doing it on 1 x 10, 170mm bike this year.

waldo1
    Free Member
    MrAgreeable

The descents would be more fun on an MTB (obvs) but it’s absolutely fine on a ‘cross bike.

mccraque

scott_mcavennie2 – Member

Don’t suppose anyone on here strava’d their ride last year? London to Brighton

Here you go Scott…..

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

spacemonkey

The section between Shamley and Southwater is super ‘kin dull IMO. Very very flat with pretty much nothing either side of you but trees. Thankfully it gets more panoramic south of West Grinstead. That’s also when the climbing begins 😆

GDRS

I’ve done this three times in the past with my wife and various friends who do and don’t cycle much.

The tricky climb onto the north downs ridge has been levelled with gravel and The long drag is a drag on the old railway line so it not that technical – the distance is what catches some people out.

I would take a HT, have loads of pressure in the tyres – which you can let down for the final drop in the Shoreham, Take food, think about the trip back on the train to London if that’s your thing (faff /food/ water / lights if it takes you longer than you think, as there is some urban riding to negotiate at the end, or on the way home from the station).

And finally – don’t race people, as there are going to be people doing this for a real life challenge, and the distance gets to everyone who kicks on at pace at the start. As has been mentioned the climb on to the south downs then up to the YHA is mean if you are low on juice.

Enjoy – it’s a great day out. Go Raise money.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Did this yesterday as a non-official work charity raising exercise for Macmillan. We rode from Kingston, so missed the first few miles of the BHF route. I did it on a ss cx bike which was great. I took 8 people from work with varying levels of bike experience – all being quite inexperienced off-roaders.

They were a little narked off with the ride by the time we got to the end of the downs link – the off road sections through winterfold were “terrifying” and it was exhausting.

Unfortunately, I then turned the wrong way onto the SDW at the top of the hill at Beeding and took everyone on an unnecessary collection of steep climbs all the way up to Devils Dyke, which destroyed them.

They are refusing to do another ride that I organise now. Although we did raise over a grand for Macmillan, which was nice.

However, following the official route with water supplies and signposts should be a synch. Enjoy yourselves, and do watch out for the Beeding climb – it will hurt.

wwaswas

I then turned the wrong way onto the SDW at the top of the hill at Beeding and took everyone on an unnecessary collection of steep climbs all the way up to Devils Dyke, which destroyed them.

oops. There is a quite a few corkers on that section for the inexperienced.

Glad they all made it and the run down from the Dyke into Brighton is pretty good 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

Unfortunately, I then turned the wrong way onto the SDW at the top of the hill at Beeding and took everyone on an unnecessary collection of steep climbs all the way up to Devils Dyke

That’s the only fun bit. 😕

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I actually really enjoyed the whole ride. I’ve really enjoyed mile munching on my cx bike this summer, and starting in a relatively built up area, following the Thames, going out under the M25 and pootling down little country lanes and bridleways before ending up at the coast for fish and chips is the kind of ride that makes owning a bike worth it. Doing it in crowds of other riders would probably make it a little less fun. I also would not enjoy it on a mountain bike.

The Downs Link is pretty mind numbing, but at that point in a long ride its good to get your head down and just munch through 20 odd miles.

I’m planning to do London to Brighton and back next spring when we have the next prolonged dry spell. 🙁

ciron
    Free Member

I’ve done that route several times before but carrying bivvy kit.

We tend to have dinner in a pub before really getting up to the SDW, then head west until it gets dark. Finish off the ride the next day with the 40 odd miles to Eastbourne. It works out at around 110 miles, maybe a touch more, from Richmond to Eastbourne.

brakes
    Free Member

my training peaked on Saturday with a 140 mile road ride. Half of which was on dull carriageway which sounds appropriate according to the above reviews of the Downs Link.
    I’ve raised £1,265 so far.

will the route be marked out?

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve done Woldingham (nr Croydon) to Eastbourne, NDW – DL – SDW. Nice ride.

andymc06
    Free Member

I’m signed up with my brother and a mate. Been very busy at work so haven’t done much riding at all for a few weeks. Will be doing it on a hardtail with ralphs on. A day in the Surrey Hills tomorrow marks the start of my training with two and a bit weeks to go!!! It’ll be reet! 😀

ciron
    Free Member

The Downs Link is really dull. The route I do cuts a couple of miles off from the beginning when compared to the BHF route.

gee
    Free Member

I’m riding in front of all of you checking the arrows are all still there. I feel like the rabbit at a greyhound race.

GB

j3w3ll3r
    Free Member

I’m doing it with some friends, the hills are pretty brutal, I know this as we have done them twice in the last month as part of our training for the ride

stumpy1
    Free Member

I know this is a massive ask but does anybody know of someone that might have a spare ticket due to injury or unforeseen circumstances, I have tried bhf with no luck and apologies if this isn’t the done thing on the forums just got desperate.

Thx.

tobymc

Seeing as its been rather autumnal of late, what tyres for tomorrows ride?
    SB8’s were fine last year, but something chunkier for the surrey hills this time round?

Painey
    Free Member

Stumpy, why not just turn up and give them a decent contribution into their bucket?

I’m doing the ride on my 150mm FS trail bike. Not ideal but I’ve fitted a race king tyre for the rear which helps a bit. Apart from that and maybe some extra air in the rear shock the bike will be standard. I did 60 miles on it a couple of weeks ago without too many problems.

The climb out of Upper Beeding is a tough one and I’ll be happy to not put a foot down. The Downs Link path drags on seemingly forever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘London to Brighton -Offroad’ is closed to new replies.