• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • London on monday afternoon – what should i do?
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

tajikistan embassy closes at midday, and i have to be at london luton airport at 16.15.

given that (assuming i get the visa i require) the day will have cost me £400, what can i do for a few hours that isn’t going to cost the earth?

oh, also… tube tickets etc – how does that all work? up north we don’t have fancy things like that…

iirc the train from london luton goes to st pancrease. i need to be at hammersmith grove by 10am – whats the easiest way to achieve this???

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

er, anyone???

not been down there for about 12 years, and i was 10 then…

andywhit
    Free Member

couldn’t you have used one of those agencies that sort out the visas for you ? Or do you have to apply/turn-up in person ?

(bit late now I guess 🙂 )

andywhit
    Free Member

This lot for example:-

http://www.travcour.com/original-countries/tajikistan.html

I’ve used travcour to get visas before, good service.

davidr

The Transport for Londom website has a great journey planner. Best tube ticket would probably be a day travelcard for the zones you need.

Go to the Tate Modern, it’s always worth a wander round

vrepami
    Free Member

National history museum…that will lose a few hrs if thats your thing.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

long story andywhit – the people on tajikistan sent my letter of invitation with the dates of my actual internship, not the dates i’d have to be in the country (flights are once per week). i’ve spoken to a visa company and they suggested that i go down tomorrow to try and get them to issue me with a visa for the correct dates.
    the tajik’s have said that they will send me a new letter, with the correct dates. but as i am leaving in less than a month i have very little time, as the process (if i wait for the new letter, and use a company) etc will mean i get a visa less than a week before i go, leaving me little time to get flights (and run the risk of them being full, or V expensive).
    unfortunately i don’t think i will be able to get a visa, but having spoken to a few people, i’ve been told its probably worth the risk/expense…
    🙂

thanks for the info – day ticket then. any idea what zone hammersmith is in? if the weather is good, i’d quite like to be outside, so areas which are nice to walk around would be welcome!

Ginormica
    Free Member

I dunno about the afternoon but go see Waiting For Godot at the haymarket theatre…Ian McKellen + Patrick Stewart = awesome!!!

nickjb
    Free Member

If I were you I’d walk back all or part way to Kings Cross from Hammersmith taking in the sights on the way. Either Hyde park, Regents park, Camden or Hyde park, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Embankment then wiggle through the city a bit. 2nd route has a lot more historic sites.

aP
    Free Member

Picc Line to Hammersmith – Zone 2.
    Get the District line back to somewhere like Victoria or St James’s Park tube, into St James’s Park then walk up through Green Park to Piccadilly then wander up through the back streets central London isn’t that big its probably only 3 or 4 miles or so to get back to St Pancras.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks guys, gonna study some maps to make sure i can find the tajik embassy, and see where these suggestions are 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

“i don’t think i will be able to get a visa, but having spoken to a few people, i’ve been told its probably worth the risk/expense…”

Consular officers have a lot of discretion. If you actually manage to sit down in front of someone, you may be pleasantly surprised (especially if it’s quiet).

atlaz
    Free Member

If you plan to visit London again ever, get an Oyster card, if not, a travel card.

aP
    Free Member

So.
    What did you do, where did you go?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘London on monday afternoon – what should i do?’ is closed to new replies.