Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • London cycle commute
  • andyjf
    Free Member

Hi, looking for some advice from any London cyclists out there.

I’m about to start cycing the last leg of my commute and need to travel from Euston Station to Shepherds Bush in the mornings. I want to go via hyde park so I get some time off the roads, but can anyone recommend a decent route from Euston to Hyde park that avoids any un-necessary hassle such as Oxford Street…

Thanks in advance!

aP
    Free Member
    atrthanks
    Free Member

I think you are best off asking on the BikeRadar commuting chat forum.

kimbers

largely agree with that route ^^^

hyde park is a bit of a detour, tho its quite pleasant

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I used to do Shepherds Bush to Waterloo, but going from Waterloo to Euston isn’t too bad (do it a couple of times a week). Takes about 11 minutes even in morning rush hour on a Boris Bike.

For routes I’d probably try and follow my nose a couple of times and see how it works out. With the road works and diversions you’ll most likely have to make some adjustments and the closest in terms of mileage may not be the best in terms of safety/flow and so on.

What bike are you going to use for the commute?

Stoner
    Free Member

If you’re going into the park, you’re going to make quite a detour unless you only drop onto North Carriage drive (at bottom of Connaught gardens) and then come out again where the west carriage drive hits bayswater. Theres no legal route from the top of west carriage drive westbound inside the park.

I regularly ride in the area, and can recommend the bayswater road westbound is pretty safe, wide, and well surfaced all the way to the SB roundabout. Just watch some of the traffic at NHG where the roads narrow a little.

the route west from Euston via Harley Street/Marylebone/Portman is quite enjoyable, although its actually nicer riding eastbound (Wigmore, Cavenish, Mortimer)

andyjf
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips, I know heading straight down Bayswater Road will be by far the shortest in terms of mileage so will most likely end up taking that route most days. Only asked about the park to break up the tarmac a bit. I have a VERY inexpensive road bike at the moment, unfortunately I will have to leave it at Euston overnight as I can’t take it home on the train, nor can I take it in to London each morning…

lunge

I have a VERY inexpensive road bike at the moment, unfortunately I will have to leave it at Euston overnight

Brave, or stupid, either way I’d not be doing that.

Pick up a cheap fixie or single speed for £300 and use that. No way in the world I’d leave a good bike in a station overnight.

andyjf
    Free Member

I bought mine off ebay for way below £300, but might look out for a single speed any way

Andy_B

It depends where you want to end up in Shepherds Bush but I’d definitely follow the last section of the cyclestreets route from near the western end of Hyde Park. I have never enjoyed the section from Holland Park to Shepherds Bush roundabout in car or on bike.

kimbers

I have a VERY inexpensive road bike at the moment, unfortunately I will have to leave it at Euston overnight as I can’t take it home on the train, nor can I take it in to London each morning…

I leave my commuter at euston overnight and weekends and its fine, cctv etc and the police often having their fag brakes in the bike sheds (in front of the no smoking signs)
    just leave a big lock there with a cable loop for he wheels

Stoner
    Free Member

My bike lives at Paddington.

Its a singlespeed, coaster-brak’d, 70s raleigh Falcon. Full mudguards. Splashes of unidentified paint on the frame. Chips. Insulation tape crap. I love it to bits, but it’s utterly un-knickworthy. It’s done over 5,000 miles in it’s current form. I might take it home once every three years for a major overhaul, but apart from a dab of lube once a year, it gets naff-all love. New rear tyre last week was a bit of a treat though.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Have you considered the Boris Bike? I guess £2 a day will add up very quickly, but it may be an option to just figure out the route first and not be lumped with the bike while you do.

Stoner
    Free Member

You can buy annual access for £90 rather than pay the day rate

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/santander-cycles/register-for-your-own-key

But it’s not a lot of fun clunking a 30kg boris each way on your commute, esp not up and over the col du Notting Hill Gate from SB

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Granted they’re pretty crap to ride.

But it beats having to carry a lock, or having the low level “will it, won’t it be there” anxiety that comes with leaving a bike in a public place!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘London cycle commute’ is closed to new replies.