Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Log splitter, any recommendations?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looking for a log splitter, around the 200 quid mark if poss, that’s not made of cheese and is reliable. Anyone bought one or selling one?. Doesn’t have to be too powerful, only splitting logs of up to about 24 inches dia max.

Thanks.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Greg, even my homemade splitter cost more that £200 to build without the hydraulic power pack.

https://plus.google.com/photos/113038090087066024057/albums?banner=pwa

wwaswas

mcmoonter will be along in a minute…

2ft dia is pretty big for most diy splitters.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I feel that what your looking for is an axe, and your in luck. you will get change out of your 200 quid!

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Sorry, more helpfull answer is, you need to spend around 500 for a decent quality electric splitter.

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these Axminster LS5T Log Splitter. £198 and has worked faultlessly for over 2 years now (not cheap Chinese rubbish!)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Freeride_Frankie, I use a splitting maul at present, but I’d like a splitter for the sections that are knotted, that the maul doesn’t do. rusty90, I’ll have a look at that.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Greg, depending on how much you can store before you need to split stuff, it might be worth seeing if you can hire a big hydraulic splitter.

Before I built mine, I split everything with a maul, the stuff I couldn’t split I diced with the chainsaw.

It’s worth keeping an eye on eBay too. I found my hydraulic power pack locally and cheaply. The all in cost for mine with the power pack, ram, hoses and operating lever was around £400. It’s more than returned the investment!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Before I built mine, I split everything with a maul, the stuff I couldn’t split I diced with the chainsaw.

That’s what I’m doing at the moment, Pete. TBH I’ve noticed I’m getting rather blase about cutting the knotted lumps so close to my feet, ie standing on a clug to keep it still. Not good practice.

timber

and not forgetting the tractor as well mcmoonter

That axminster doesn’t look too bad, 5-ton is the same as our tractor bench, don’t think it would handle the 100 ton a year we put through our tractor bench though.
    Avoid screw based splitters, not met anyone with a good word to say about them.

dia. is fairly irrelevant, species and time down has more effect. 24″ larch is a piece of piss compared to 8″ beech.

Clobber
    Free Member

logrenade, works on the tough stuff

joat

Not to brag, but it’s going to take a bleeding powerful splitter to make logs smaller than I can with an axe and perseverence. And unless you’ve got a tiny stove, it’ll fit somehow.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Log splitter, any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.