Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Loft insulation, anywhere still doing multisave/offers?
  • spooky_b329

I need 90sq metres of 200mm loft insulation, which looks like its going to cost me £400 from Wickes.

Is anyone still doing buy one get two free type deals like a couple of years ago? Or any cost effective alternatives such as loose insulation?

I will also need to add some height to part of the loft for boarding, so will consider insulated panels etc if the m2 cost is comparable to the mineral wool+timber supports/fixings+floor boarding.

Thanks 🙂

seba560
    Free Member

Have the energy companies stopped the free insulation deals now?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Sorry I cannot help on the multi save offers bit but I paid about £70 last year from B&Q for about 80m ( 4 bed house )of 170mm rockwool to get my levels to 270mm and it was worth every penny

Part of my loft was boarded out with T&G boards and I found there was no insulation beneath em, I stuffed the whole lot with shredded rockwool and it did the trick a beaut ok its only 100mm but with the insulation provided by the floorboards perhaps it is enough and I doubted the value of putting “some height” into the loft. I have had a look at our roof when there is a frost down and the roof is white now with no thawed out spots so it is obviously working 😀 and the wife is not moaning about being cold 😯

We Also had the cavity walls done last year to on a free grant and the combined effect is brilliant the boiler is working alot less

My oil consumption has been halfed this year ok it is not so cold but at £700 a fill the insulation is worth every penny basically it has paid for itself already

trail_rat
    Free Member

I got mine out of bnq last april on buy 2 get 1 free – was the cheapest at the time.by a country mile.

Salad dodger – how long does a fill generally last you ?

globalti
    Free Member

Shop around, somebody somewhere will have a deal going, especially with the warm weather we’re having.

wrightyson
    Free Member

That’s expensive! You could get it done for you for less than that on a grant scheme. There’s usually one of the DIY stores that has it on. Last time I bought wicks stuff it was buy one get two free!
    Local builders merchant also do deals sometimes.

lump

Phone you power company. Most are still trying to by your carbon. And you should get it done for free.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Trailrat

We have a 1960’s 4 bed detached and normally a 1000ltr fill in August would be gone just after xmas but we still have half a tank left and no moaning wife = winner

spooky_b329

Thanks, I think I’ll hold on a while to get a deal.

British Gas had a free offer up until December, but I only moved in two days so couldn’t use it…now its back to over 70’s/low income only.

Its a bungalow so the area/cost is roughly double that of a two storey house. Some of the loft is covered with overspilled cavity wall insulation, some has about 50mm of mineral wool with lots of gaps, the middle 50% is boarded and I don’t think there is anything under there.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Spooky out of interest where do you live if you are in the South west I may be able to help with a company

spooky_b329

I’m Southeast near Brighton.

lump

If its boarded lift all the board, and relay at 250mm insulation depth. As anything under it is probably useless as it will be compressed if its at joist ? If you want all the help you want look at the EPC if you have just moved in ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah thats not so bad – for some reason i had it in my head that using 500 litres since aug compare to my last 2 oil burning houses was alot but your post coupled wirh the fact my old solid stone houses always felt cold and this one generally is kept comfortable due to all insulation ive fitted and a new boiler we put in

Cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Loft insulation, anywhere still doing multisave/offers?’ is closed to new replies.