Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Locknut on Rear Hub Coming Loose
  • MartinGT
    Free Member

I have a Shimano FH-M435 rear hub and after approx 300-400 miles the locknut is coming loose.

Has anyone else had similar, if so, how did you sort it?

Cheers

MartinGT
    Free Member

Anybody?

ahwiles
    Free Member

shimano hubs are tricky, to fix it yourself you will need 2 x 17mm spanners, a cone spanner (15mm?), some degree of mechanical sympathy, and about an hour to learn what you’re doing.

basically, get the tools and tighten it up*.

or, phone a friend who can do it for you, and fill them with beer/tea/cake/tasty snack of choice.

i’ll do it for you if you’re in sheffield…

(*each cone + locknut need to be tightened against each other, AND preset so that they’re not too tight and not too loose – this is the tricky bit.

Dancake
    Free Member

My First Meta Did this. Flexy swingarms act like a big spanner. It was either the locknuts or the qr coming loose. Bought a Dual-cam QR and locktighted the Locknuts which made it last a lot longer

Changed the hub to a 12mm bolt thru in the end. Sorry thats no help at all

Dancake
    Free Member

It never has happened on any of my other bikes BTW. I blamed it on me being a 100kg+ lard arse stomping on the pedals and twisting that long swingarm…Even with locktight and locking the locknuts super tight to each other, you wouldnt believe it.

rock
    Free Member

Had the same problem. Reassemble with loctite on the driveside nuts to ensure that it’s only ever the non-driveside that comes loose

MartinGT
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

It is the driveside locknut that is working its way loose. Ill retighten tonight.

Oh and Dan I am 68kg 😕 so hope its not my weight 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Locknut on Rear Hub Coming Loose’ is closed to new replies.