Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Loch Lyon circuit
  • downshep

Going to Bridge of Orchy this weekend for a knees up. Have often looked at but never ridden the path going east under the railway horseshoe past Beinn Dorain up to Loch Lyon.

Google Maps suggests this path links up to another around Loch Lyon but doesn’t give any clue as to whether it is rideable. Anyone ridden around Loch Lyon?

irc

It goes all the way along the south side of Loch Lyon. Looks unbroken on the north side as well. I cycled it a few years ago. Track is a bit rough up to the loch then smooth all the way along. When I did it a few years ago there were no bridges over the streams. May be better now.

ton

rode from Killin the full length of the pathy on the south side of loch lyon all the way down to the viaduct and on to kingshouse, it was a fantastic days riding, well worth the effort.

downshep

Thanks guys. Sounds like I should head east on the north shore first, fresh legs and more time to hike a bike to the dam, before riding back on the south side.

Dear weather, clegg and midge gods…..

fasgadh
    Free Member

I did it from the dam last year. Easy road all the way around with the all important exception of the river and burn crossings. The one on the Meuran Arm (the inlet on the north side of the loch) is particularly big. No problems in dry weather but I have in the past been beaten by one of them.

Ford, Eilean Riabhach

© Copyright Richard Webb and
    licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Abhainn Ghlas

Allt Fionn a’ Ghlinne

matt_outandabout

^ as above. Good, easy LR tracks with some exciting burns in wet weather. From Bridge of Orchy, there is 100m or so of no track on the ground at the col.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Something silly like 110 x water crossings on that circuit (incl the straight lines thro the river meanders)

Whoever built the new track wasn’t a fan of piped culverts.

Summer or hard frost type of route – bleak in bad weather. Rather sad the ruins of Duncan Ban MacIntyres house in Auch Glen is an unmarked / crumbling sheep fank.

downshep

Did the loop today from Bridge of Orchy. Warm dry conditions so river levels quite low. More fords than Dagenham though. Track is complete from Auch, right round the loch and back. Nothing too technical and a fine sense of scale and remoteness.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Loch Lyon circuit’ is closed to new replies.