Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Location to stay near Hatfield, decent for riding my bike.
  • pictonroad

Morning STW wisdom keepers.

I’m starting a new assignment that requires me to stay overnight near Hatfield once a week (Wednesday night). This week was the first time and I picked the Ramada in Hatfield. It’s not really my kind of place, I’m not into dual carriageways or shopping centres.

Given that I’ll be free of children I plan to take a bike, (CX probably) and head out for 2 hours or so after work.

Which towns should I look out for? any particular good loops? (Garmin links especially welcome.) I don’t have to be in the same place every week and this job is likely to last the year at least or until I can get out of it…

Anything within 30 minutes drive of Hatfield business park in the morning, but closer the better.

Cheers,

James

pictonroad

bump, anyone… 😕

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s been 15 years since I was over there, but if you head north to wellyngarden city, stevenage and Baldock you can string together some bridleways. Horrid sticky clay mind, if it’s wet. There’s some stuff over towards Wheathamstead (sp?) And a bit north of Luton to near Barton le clay.

Very much xc territory IMO.

toby1

Knebworth area possibly. Broxbourne woods?

Overall area isn’t going to wow you!

angeldust
    Free Member

There was an Evan’s Ride it event (MTB and Road) a couple of weekends ago. Route might still be online.

pictonroad

couple of leads there, thanks. Toby, after a night on a dual carriageway and an hour browsing the shopping centre anything will do!

toby1

Ah the Galleria – bargains though 🙂

benp1

Lots!

OS map is your friend here

There is a old rail track running in one direction to St Albans and the other to Welwyn and onto Hertford. Lee Valley canal at the end of that

Broxbourne Woods isn’t too far away, but there’s lots of tracks and paths for a CX type ride

Also another track called the Ayot Greenway, runs from Welwyn, that takes you into a lovely part of Hertfordshire

Look for the Rapha Hell of the North rides (7th or 8th installment this year), as they’re rides that would be perfect for your CX bike

Where is your assignment and what time are you going? Traffic can be hellish round there at certain times (I used to work near there). Within 20-30 min you have places like St Albans, Harpenden, Hertford, Stevenage (this last place is very average). This will all let you explore a different part

There’s nothing gnar around, but there’s lots of cycling. A lot of the roadies and CX groups will head up that way from Central London

A few people saying Epping Forest area is ok in my ‘crap surroundings’ thread on the chat forum. Kryton and senor j have offered guiding services.

Think it’s around 30 mins to Hatfield from here

pictonroad

cheers for the answers.

riding window will generally be Wednesday 6-9ish if anyone lives that way and that’s their normal time.

James

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Stay in Hertford. Nice County market town, good food options.

Get out around Hertford, Essendon, Brickendon – lots of Bridleways, good rolling countryside, but nothing to wow you. Easily string 2-3 hour loops without much effort though.

Welwyn also nice, lots of riding in and around the Brocket Estate which you can link up with the Bramfield Woods area.

senorj

Loads of stuff perfect for cx.
    I’m on me way yam ……
    Will reply in more detail later- enjoying mid ride coffee after mucho Herts off road cycling 🙂

pictonroad

For next week I’ve booked the travelodge in Hatfield (£75 maximum hotel rate so quite limited) with the intention I’ll drive out to ride somewhere.

I looked at the average journey time to get back into Hatfield in the morning… 😯

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Lots of good riding if you know where. I used to live in Harpenden and know loads of routes around the back of Wheathampstead, No man’s land,the Ayots and Kimpton. Sign up with OTT mtb who are based in Harpenden.They used to do an evening ride.

nickharv

I live just between Harpenden and St Albans, and as Jolly Green Giant said, there’s lot to be found. Here’s a route from the Ramada to get you going, takes you through Sandridge, Wheathampstead into Harpenden (good for cake and coffee) and back to Hatfield. A mixture of bridleways and quiet roads, about 35k so just right for an evening blast.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14174418

samunkim
    Free Member

As mentioned parts of the evans Ride-It map would make a very good starting route.
    There are an awful lot of bridleways round here that should suit your CX bike very well. Just keep off the road called Coopers Green Lane ( proper death trap)

Using the quiet roads and tracks behind Hatfield House will get you straight into the Countryside. Take beer tokens 🙂

Farmers Boy in Brickenden is a bit of a MTB’s hangout whilst Emily’s TeaRooms in Whitwell is always chockfull of roadies

chakaping
    Free Member

Good for CX riding round there, nice mix of lanes and BWs.

If you have an MTB (a dangerous assumption to make on here these days), I’d consider taking that and finding a friendly STWer to show you round Broxbourne Woods – or join an existing group ride if there are any going now.

senorj

Hello OP – I took the long way home…Loads of good advice above..
    If you’re exploring solo ,imo – It’ll be much easier to go North northwest. The corridor between A1 & M1 is fairly quiet.
    EG. Ellenbrook fields-Coopersgreen ,Symonshyde wood – Wheathampstead,Ayot St Lawrence,Codicote , Whitwell Up to Preston (Hitch wood 🙂 ) the planes landing at Luton ensure you know roughly where west is. 😀
    A clockwise loop featuring cycle route12 north to Knebworth ,Datchworth ,Bramfield,Hertford & back on cycle route 61 is also fairly easy to navigate.
    Broxbourne is definitely worth visiting – but make sure you look for Wormley woods which is a little further South..
    I don’t normally ride 6 to 9, but my psychiatrists say I have to get out more…so , I’ll be available to show you around wed 22 june (hols before then) if that’s any good to you?

loris
    Free Member

There’s plenty around Hatfield, the Alban way is just across the road from The Comet (or Ramada as it’s now called), very CX friendly, go down there and explore any side tracks you find, should get you going.

badnewz
    Free Member

Hertford is nice but the traffic is hell, particularly from Hatfield.

dissonance

As others have said whilst nothing absolutely amazing the area is well served with bridleways and restricted byways. It has mostly dried out now as well so isnt the horrendous claggy mess it can be.
    For a quick road/old railway loop.
    Whilst the mountain biking is a bit disjointed there are a few fun sections even relatively close by eg Symondeshyde and riflebutt roads.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Location to stay near Hatfield, decent for riding my bike.’ is closed to new replies.