Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Local Mountain Rescue complaing about accidents at Gisburn on NW Tonight
  • stumpyjon

Just seen the piece on the local news, apparently 11 call outs in 10 months is threatening the service the team is able to provide. Ironic that many incidents are dealt with by the Cave Rescue Organisation or the regular emergency services before the MR get there. No mention in the article about the benefits of cycling generally or how many call outs they get for other incidents in the wild. Rather a negative story in the main stream press, shame really, could’ve been a lot more balanced IMHO.

RustySpanner

MR complain about EVERYONE. 😀

It’s like teachers saying it would be a great job without the kids.
    They love it really.

matt_outandabout

Our MR never really complain (unless people are being muppets and deserve it). The only complaint this week is the chopper guys stole the glory and the heli ride..
    http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/10/25/helicopter-crewman-takes-to-hill-to-rescue-walkers-lost-with-only-a-smartphone

RustySpanner

We recently had an after dinner talk from Karen Frith, of Penrith M R and this lot, the Lakes SARDA team.

Very inspirational. She was very non-judgemental, as have been all the MR people I’ve met previously in their official capacity.

Often hear some slightly fruitier language when you buy them a few drinks though. 😀

Oh, we got to meet Dottie too:

She’s great.

project
    Free Member

Just seen the article, theyre just tin rattling, they do a good job, just like RNLI and the air ambulance, all charities.

But seeing as a trail centre has trail roads big enough for ambulances what do they need to be there for.

ampthill

But seeing as a trail centre has trail roads big enough for ambulances what do they need to be there for.

In case your shattered body isn’t actuallly lying on an access road?

I don’t think an ordinary Ambulance crew would try and stretcher along much single track…

project
    Free Member

In case your shattered body isn’t actuallly lying on an access road?

I don’t think an ordinary Ambulance crew would try and stretcher along much single track

But then there are usually quite a few fit people who ride bikes able to offer a lift and carry to the nearest ambulance or helicopter.

mrphil
    Free Member

They helped me at Lee quarry a fortnight ago. Glad they were on hand to be fair.

A donation will be made tomorrow.

Hope they keep up the good work as the winter months will most likley be the most busy time for them guys/gals.

stumpyjon

Lee Quarry is covered by a different team, Rossendale and Pendle MRT. They usually are required to drag the casualty to a fire road (Gisburn has a fairly good network), the ambulance crews don’t have the equipment. Project is right though, it’s often other riders that stretcher the casualty out.

RustySpanner

Sister in Law is a member of Rossendale MR.

90% of the casualties at Lee Quarry fall off the seesaw, apparantly 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

I don’t think an ordinary Ambulance crew would try and stretcher along much single track…

Depends on circumstances but have done it several times.

mrphil
    Free Member

Ahh, mistaken due to being in Lancs.

Seesaw? This was near flat lol.Rider error unfortunatly. But hey atleast I admit it haha.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve never been to an FC forest that hasn’t had barriers preventing the public from liberally driving around the trail roads. I don’t think they have a man permanently on every barrier waiting for an ambulance either, but correct me if I’m wrong?.

havinalaff
    Free Member

i think you’d be surprised where us “normal” ambo crews will get people from 😉

Snow, mud, fields, horses, bikes, its all part of the job!!! Scoop stretcher and a few pairs of hands can get pretty much anywhere!!

stumpyjon

All the Gisburn access gates have combination padlocks that the emergency services and the mountain rescue team are supposed to have the code for (the MR team have cos I gave it to them when we had a ride around looking at blackspots and access points) or get get hold of with a phone call.

thepodge
    Free Member

The Edale lot get a fair old chunk of cash from me every year, I’d say I’m due a rescue come January next year

project
    Free Member

all access gates are usually fitted with emergency keyed alike padlocks, keys are carreied in emergency vehicles for such purposes.

Also if there are a few riders available and a a scoop stretcher why wait for the part time mountain rescyue to appear from their work get to their base and then drive to a location, just to lift somebody out of a forest, when they could be better used where ther eis limited road access like up a mountain.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

jon, maybe the info isn’t being dealt with appropriately?, maybe the emergency call centre. My understanding is that call centres often default to MRT’s when words like rocks, forests, hill, mountain are used in the call out location. In the past I’ve been told to specify what isn’t needed, altho in the heat of moment most people aren’t sure.

tomaso
    Free Member

We were in Clapham 2 weeks ago in the pub just after mountain/cave rescue got there and in the long queue for the bar they mentioned the number of call outs to Gisburn being quite high. The most recent person to have needed them was in a serious condition on Hully Gully. They didn’t seem indifferent to a group mountain bikers that had just been out for a ride on a filthy night.

As a club we give as much as we can afford every year to all the mountain rescue services where we ride and the air ambulance.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Just watchd the programme. it is here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01nhwg8/North_West_Tonight_25_10_2012/

at 17m30s. It says it is only available til Fri tea time.

It’s not the CRO that is being questioned, it’s the Bowland MR that is complaining. I think they are only a tiny group and not really comparable to the CRO

C

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yup second the riders stretchering riders, Ive been carried quite a distance by mates and a couple of other riders I’ve never met when I tried to break my spine. Conversely I’ve also helped carry a couple of other mates and riders I’ve never met before who have require stretchering out.

On a couple of occasions the Ambulance crew were wondering if they should call MR to help move the stretcher and the riders present have just just said that they would do it and the ambulance crew have seemed surprised that we would be willing to help.

That’s one of the things I love about riding, (generally) one rider will always help another whether they know each other or not.

martinhutch

Glad I didn’t bother popping down in the last couple of days – would have had to dodge NW Tonight…

If it was CRO moaning, I’d take a lot more notice.

I don’t agree that MR teams will moan about anything – generally they only have a go at people who are very poorly equipped or taking the proverbial. There was a recent case in the Lakes where they rescued the same clueless idiots two nights running, and an MR member suffered a nasty injury in the process. On the whole most teams are made up of outdoor enthusiasts – walkers, climbers, fell runners and bikers.

Looking at Bowland’s incident list, you can see they just aren’t a busy team – a big chunk of their work appears to be assisting police, looking for vulnerable people. Perhaps the previous relative unpopularity of their area in terms of outdoor activities is the issue, rather than MTB in particular.

binners

If anyone would like to help raise money for the Mountain Rescue chaps, moany or otherwise, then come and drink beer at Rammy Oktoberfest, as all proceeds go to them.

I know its a big ask, but we all have to make sacrifices in life. I’ll be being public spirited and doing my bit.

stumpyjon

Yeah it’s not the CRO moaning, in fact the Gisburn head forester who created the trails is part of the CRO. I had a good look at the BPMRT call out log and it’s fair to say Gisburn MTB incidents account for a qaurter of their call outs (9 out of 36 this year, not 11 as the Team Leader stated, the other 2 call outs to Gisburn related to kids under 16 getting lost). Of those 9, on 3 occaisions the team were stood down before they got there. In contrast CRO have had 11 mtb incidents at Gisburn out of 63 call outs this year, (for balance Rossendale & Pendle MRT have had 2 MTB callouts out of 41 this year).

Looking at the wording on some of the incident logs on the BRMRT site there’s not a lot sympathy for mountain bikers though.

http://bowlandpenninemrt.org.uk/2012.htm

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Local Mountain Rescue complaing about accidents at Gisburn on NW Tonight’ is closed to new replies.