Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Llandegla new stuff….
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Went over to Llandegla yesterday, good snow up top, was quite looking forward to the new stuff and I’ve always been a defender of the place but have to be honest I’m starting to find it all a little tedious. I appreciate they are putting in a lot of effort expanding the trails but it is just more of the same, flat with yet more jumps. Definitely too much climbing at the end sections now with very little pay off too. It’d be good to see any further trails more rocky with some good slower technical stuff.

Definitely preferring more natural stuff these days.

jedi

blind hips, short landings, short jumps, narrow run outs.
    its good but its not right 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Definitely too much climbing at the end sections now with very little pay off too.

I’d actually say that the two drop offs, extra wood (fnarr, fnarr!) and lack of climbing ruin it for me. People eh?

cakerider

Was there at the weekend and have to say enjoyed the new section. Not been for a few years and glad I went back.

carlos
    Free Member

Also there at the weekend and I enjoyed it too. The new flowy section is great for getting some air under your wheels, although the offset blind hip nearly caught me out. Took it easy on the broadwalk stuff as it was wet, would be nice if there was some thinner Black bits that give you the option of a little detour and then re-join.

As trail centers go I feel that its improved it a fair bit, I’ve always like it at Llandegla but do prefer the natural stuff mind.

Suppose it depends a bit on if your a jumper or a roller??

cakerider

Agree with Carlos, think the place generally has a nice feel to it.

First went a number of years ago and think it has improved greatly since then. Re-visit in hopefully dry spring I think.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The last part under the lake is without doubt the poorest piece of trail design/construction I have ever seen…..truly dire. Which is a shame as the rest is very average. The proles love it ;0p

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I went last Wednesday with Portlyone and loved it. I would agree with a bit too much climbing for no reward and the end is shite. Vastly improves what was a very tame red. At least it’s a little involving now.

*cue internet trail gods*

nasher
    Free Member

The forest in Llandegla is very small compared to the forestry commission stuff in other places so i gues they are trying to make use of what they have.

Also in Llandegla there are many more people with mountain bikes who use it more than “mountainbikers” so i guess they have to cater for them more.

I used to ride llandegla woods over 15 years ago as part of a loop wee did from Llangollen or Wrexham, some awesome natural singletrack there if you know where to look.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I too was there yesterday with my mate, I think I saw you (loddrik) hanging about on the bit at the top of the 2nd black run (old bit) before heading off up the fire road.

Were you on a Maverik?

It was the first time we’d done the new black bits and to be fair enjoyed them, despite hitting the ground quicker than Luiz Suarez on the section prior to the drop shore.

My mate also exited the black section board walk stage right as he seemed to forget to turn the corner 😆

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

What is this place like in comparrisment to Coedy-brennan. This is the only trail centre that i’v been to and have heard such good things about Llandegla that i’m thinking about paying a visit.
    Do they have colour graded trails?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Persisting with this alt eh?

loddrik
    Free Member

Steve, that was indeed me. Went off up the fire road past the red to go a little off piste as there was a lot of traffic on the black which I kept getting caught up in. Which bike were you riding?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I was on the candy red Nicolai CC (bright green jacket) and my mate was on a battle ship grey Five.

Did you do the loop back up to the top of the Parallel Universe section?

emac65
    Free Member

Too much climbing,there’s about 1,300ft in 13 miles…Hardly a lot is it ?Went there Saturday & had a great couple of loops of it,fast,loads of grip & not too busy…That said I do think the first 3 mile of fire road is lame & could do with something a bit more interesting being put in there…..

portlyone

As AH said I went there recently and I quite enjoyed the new stuff.

Maybe I only liked it because it was new? I do know I wouldn’t mind going back to give it another go. This time hope my front mech is working, lots of steepish climbs followed by flatter sections; and repeat.

The red section from the lake is a bit of a missed opportunity.

kudos100
    Free Member

I went there last weekend and had great fun. Apparently it is much better than before.

I almost binned it on the blind hip! Look before you leap!

justatheory
    Free Member

I was there on Saturday and think the new stuff is a great improvement, maybe I’m easily pleased. The week before I fell off descending Cavedale a little too enthusiastically so think I appreciated the reasurance of Llandegla’s more curated contours!

For all the people who say it’s rubbish, take a look at this clip of Neil Donoghue riding the B-Line.

Where is the blind hip?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Halfway down the new red section after the new black.

As you approach, it’s a gentle right hand curve, over the hip it drops to your left quickly. If you hit to too fast without turning left into it you’ll end up in the bank on the right hand side 😯

maxiimillion
    Free Member

I did the new stuff today apart from thinking far far to much up hill towards the end there was a horrible piece of trail about 10 mins from the end, it sweeps down very sharply with a sweeping turn to the left with a ditch to the side, i think the path is to thin for the steep downhill, i ended up with my wheels slipping underneath me due to the trail sloping into the ditch on the side. Anyone eles find this?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nope 😉

Dark-Side

I rode The new stuff for the second time on Saturday, this time on my hardtail and thought it was much better. Maybe due to being slightly familiar with the trail and preemptive shifting helping with the steep little climbs.

adstick
    Free Member

To me the Neil Donoghue vid shows a good rider riding a fairly tame trail…

I’m no trail centre hater but I was underimpressed with Llandegla (though I haven’t ridden the new bits). Perhaps made worse because it was hyped up as ‘jumpy’. Small jumps, few proper landings and seemingly poorly maintained. Despite the jumps being a bit lame they seemed designed to catch less experienced riders out… Lots of UK trail designers seem to be worried about building what they perceive as big dangerous trail features, so we end up with unpredictably surfaced, sniper take offs with little or no landing – far more dangerous in my opinion. Trails like Blue Velvet in Whistler allow a less experienced rider to have the fun of reasonably sized jumps and berms whilst feeling confident and in control.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I rode the new bits for the first time Saturday (neon yellow five) and after taking a beating on ‘the beast’ in the peaks last weekend it was a nice break, still need to improve my fitness though.

The steep blind drop near the end just before the horrible switchback climb is entertaining at speed, new underwear if you don’t know what’s coming!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla new stuff….’ is closed to new replies.