Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Llandegla – Extending to include the radio mast?
  • mrh86

Read a few things on here about extending the llandegla black run, so that it includes going up to the radio mast? i can see this looking on an OS map, but where on the waymarked trail do you leave? and what path do you take up to the tower? If any one has a gps file, or mmo file, that would be good. email: martyn(at)mrh86(dot)co(dot)uk

Cheers

happysv
    Free Member

I thinks its a foot path and you will get shouted at by some bird watching bloke waving his stick at you. 😆

TenMen
    Free Member
    johnikgriff
    Free Member

Its not a "legal" route as its only a footpath, and there tends to be "issues" when you meet bird watchers up there at various (mating, nesting and young birds I guess) times of the year and there are alot of them up there today, so I wouldn't ride it at the moment.

genesis
    Free Member

Please don't, there are loads of issues with the planning authority and extension of RoW. Keep to marked bridleways only, and the RSPB are an important partner for TillHill so try and be nice to them too!

Bregante

Does this include the railway sleeper section Genesis. For as long as I've been going, I've ridden up to the mast, down that stream bed/rutted track and onto the road, before looping back along those railway sleepers back into the centre 😳 – I also could have sworn MBR did a route a few years back which involved riding along those sleepers??

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

We've been doing the same thing for years Bregante. We've always been under the impression that the only bike legal section is the road in between the the mast and the Planks of Doom.

smeg
    Free Member

Not sure about the bit up to the masts ? but the bit from the masts to the road is def cheeky. The boards back to the forest is part of the Offas Dyke path and this bit of it is bridleway and goes right through the forest which can also be used to extend the trails, but not signposted and if heading down it watch out for walkers! Normally use it to head back up to loop round the black again.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

What's the point in pissing off an organisation like the RSPB. A mate had a conversation a couple of months ago with a member of an MTB club who ride fairly regularly at Llandegla, and this person (club member) didn't seem to feel there was much wrong in riding across the bird sanctuary. Knob.

genesis
    Free Member

The only permissive access is across the Planks of Doom as it is indeed part of the Offa's Dyke path. mfl, I can guess who the club is and its important to remember that without the co-operation of a lot of people and parties the trails would not exist.
    Planning meeting again tomorrow where no doubt the neighbours will kick up a fuss about cars being parked in the passing places, riders being on cheeky trails etc. Its now getting to the point that all future development is in jeopardy.

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

What is Till Hill's position on the original bridleways being used for cycling in the forest Genesis?
    I often use the old routes in the forest rather than the trail centre tracks.
    I've had some grief from some people walking dogs who tride to tell me that the bridleways are now footpaths because the trail centre tracks have been created.
    I park in the pay and display car park when I drive over and ride back down the approach road and then hop over the fence.
    Is it even legal to block off the old car park as it in turn blocks access to a bridleway?

genesis
    Free Member

That's utter cr*p, tell them that politely 🙂 As far as I know the position on all bridleways as marked on OS maps is no different to what they always have been, the legal RoW exists as it always has done for horse, cycle and foot traffic on the Offa's Dyke path.

Nick

Used to like parking up at the Ponderosa and riding in under cover of darkness, although you probably don't want to hear that.

Used to, it's been at least a couple of years since I last did 🙂

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

My incident(s) of discontent were on the bridleways actually in the forest, not on the Offa's Dyke.

genesis
    Free Member

If you're on a trail marked on an OS map you're fine.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

genesis – Member
    The only permissive access is across the Planks of Doom as it is indeed part of the Offa's Dyke path. mfl, I can guess who the club is and its important to remember that without the co-operation of a lot of people and parties the trails would not exist.
    Planning meeting again tomorrow where no doubt the neighbours will kick up a fuss about cars being parked in the passing places, riders being on cheeky trails etc. Its now getting to the point that all future development is in jeopardy.

Good luck for the meeting, hope things go your way.

I've only ridden llandegla once, due to ill health, but hope to get their a bit more regularly as & when fitness starts to improve.

The club BTW isn't local to Llandegla, more local to me (about 40 miles away), but I think from other posts on STW it may be known to you anyway.

People need to remember that the motorised RoW network was decimated by NERC in part through careless/illegal use of RoW without the higher rights of action, similar titting around with the BW/footpath network now may see MTB'ing isolated to trail centres alone in the future.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla – Extending to include the radio mast?’ is closed to new replies.