Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Llandegla – Any good – what's it like?
  • dustytrails

As title really – been to Coed y Brenin, Nanty Arian etc in North Wales but not Llandegla yet – thinking of going this weekend – Worth the trip or better to travel a bit longer?
    All comments appreciated

peachos
    Free Member

use the search function 🙄

fozzybear
    Free Member

forum search, been talked about a LOT!

grumm
    Free Member

Uh-oh!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I'll start then

I thought it was proper shit

chvck
    Free Member

Just go there, if you like it then it's a worthwhile trip and if you don't like it then it's a lesson learnt.

samuri
    Free Member

How good are you? People who are crap on bikes think it's rubbish.

glenp
    Free Member

Mostly fast wide(ish) swoopy – nothing like CyB. Some people find it artificial, thousands of others clearly love it, cos car park is usually nice and full. Good café, nice people.

grumm
    Free Member

To assess whether you will enjoy it or not, we need to know whether you sometimes wear sportswear around town, or 'talk common'.

franki
    Free Member

It has been discussed a lot on here.
    For what it's worth, I've been twice and enjoyed it. Would go again.
    Very "man made" indeed, but a good laugh for a couple of hours, rather than a big ride in the hills type of thing. 🙂

dustytrails

samuri – like to think i'm pretty reasonable – been doing it since back in the day – before even suspension forks were thought about – never did go in for flouro lycra tho.!!

stumpyjon

It's alright, better trail centres are available. Worth maybe an hours drive, wouldn't be my first choice again at 2hours.

franki
    Free Member

Oh yeah, avoid sunny weekends if poss. (No problem there, then at the moment!)It gets rammed.

dustytrails

grumm – don't ever wear sports wear round town – i try not to even go in to town

hp_source

I enjoyed it, not as 'techy' as some bits of CyB, but not bad by a long way.

If you're heading that way how about Penmachno?… bit more interesting

stumpy01

I liked it. Only been once.

It was a bit busy though & there were large groups of kids who insisted on stopping right in the middle of the trail & dumping their bikes. Up a steep switchbacky climb was the most annoying.

Almost worth a trip just for the cafe if you ask me….the burgers are the schizzle….(whatever that means).

stumpy01

I liked it. Only been once.

It was a bit busy though & there were large groups of kids who insisted on stopping right in the middle of the trail & dumping their bikes. Up a steep switchbacky climb was the most annoying.

Almost worth a trip just for the cafe if you ask me….the burgers are the schizzle….(whatever that means).

dustytrails

hp – there's a thought – trouble is my mate hasn't been riding much & i'm trying to drag him out on the pretense of it not being too heavy going

Haze

Don't expect any dusty trails.

Include the mast loop (returning via Offas Dyke) for a nice little singletrack extra.

glenp
    Free Member

Quite good for an inexperienced rider – the first climb might be a bit off-putting but just requires patience. The blacks aren't really black (one of the sources of criticism) so it can feel quite flattering to a newbie. I wouldn't take them down the jumps sequence though.

unklebuck
    Free Member

It's good, not techy but if you really go at it hell for leather it still gives enough "twitchy" moments.

I bet those who don't like it take about 2 hours to get round! 😉

dustytrails

MMMMM. Might give it a try – if it's wide trails we'll have to ride it fast! Or maybe Nanty Arian / Coed y Brenin again Or Penmachno

Telemaster18
    Free Member

dusty how long will it take you to get there?

glenp
    Free Member

If its the same kind of journey I'd go for Nant y Arian every time – Mark of Zorro is that good.

scruff
    Free Member

Up a steep switchbacky climb

Sorry, you are clearly mistaken.

glenp
    Free Member

There is a steepish switchbacky climb up from the bottom of the black bit?

Telemaster18
    Free Member

the second black bit (or the third if u count the quick boardwalk thing) does have a switchback climb yes

mccett
    Free Member

Agree with samuri, slow riders think its crap, they will be the ones putting braking bumps in all the berms. Fast riders will always find it fun because its a trail that rewards fast riding.
    Its only half an hour away for me so its a good midweek blast and you can mix up the trails a bit.

Maybe do it as well as another centre on a weekend, or get a map and check out trails out of the forest as has been suggested. You can head out over the moors and do a good route out to Llangollen and back.

If you dont like it, come on here and moan, its seems to be compulsory.

gazman
    Free Member

i would say its ok for a newish rider like your mate, i took my missus and we did the blue route it was a bit daunting for her at first but i soon had her stood up on the pedals and going for she really enjoyed herself so go for it what have you got to lose, gaz

steve_b77
    Free Member

I personally like it, I also like totally natural riding across "proper" mountains/hills all over the shop and blasting local woods too.

Don't go expecting a techy rock-fest or totally rad 'shore, and you'll have a good time.

It's a great place to introduce/re-introduce others to biking, and to have a blast round something different.

Burgers are killer too!

amodicumofgnar

Do go expecting Cake Hunters.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I rode it for the first time yesterday, thought it was pants really but I can see why other people like it.

It's very accessible, mostly it's been designed around giving easy access to people from places like Chester and Wrexham. From the point of view of encouraging people to get out on a bike, it is really excellent.

The trails, all of them, including the black runs, are groomed to within an inch of their life. They are 'three quarters to dust', smooth and bullet hard like a BMX track. The black runs in particular are like pump tracks so if you can pump, they are sort of entertaining. They really need you to know where to carry speed though so on first approach it can feel a bit of a slog. I had to session a few places to really start to get any sense of fun.

There are clearly a lot of other pump/bmx like sections that are just waiting to be opened but are not yet rideable.

It's a very different place to CYB – it is very man made but it should be applauded for what it sets out to do.

Penmachno is more fun but a lot of it is getting very overgrown. I rode that on Monday and scratched my left arm to bits riding up against the brambles. That trail also really holds loads of water so even if its not raining, you can get soaked. But it is still a pretty good ride.

speaker2animals

It's too bermed and jumpy for me. I'm not good at that sort of thing or riding wood so found it disappointing. Nice setting and I'm tempted to go again as it's a reasonable drive for me. Just makes me a little wary of train centres nowadays. I'm really looking for easy to navigate trails that mimic natural riding but maybe with extra singletrack and armoured so as to be weather resistant. I'm not looking to be forced to ride jumps/north shore etc.

unklebuck
    Free Member

Because it's so tame at low speed it is fantastic for beginners, they can comfortably ride it slowly and they feel like they've done some propper mountain biking. Then go faster or try more techy stuff elsewhere having gained a bit of confidence.

If you like trails that present a challenge to just ride along you'll hate it, if you can pump, jump and rail round the corners you can get enough speed up to properly scare yourself. Once you've come close to running off flat out into the trees a couple of times you start to see the other side of its split personality.

genesis
    Free Member

Ask the A&E dept at the Maelor Hospital if they think their 'customers' from Llandegla find it easy and pants.

samuri
    Free Member

I've done it (the black) in under an hour. Anyone who thinks it's easy and crap should try it at that speed and get back to me. If you're doing it slower no wonder you think it's crap.

Oh, on a singlespeed.

/waves willy

Quote: "A canal towpath is hard if you ride it fast enough. – Samuri."

LMT
    Free Member

The cafe is great, the red/black combined trail is good too, but like others have said its more like a BMX track its very over man made! i really hate the last bit climbing back up, and it seems so flat after with very little variation but up until the end of the black or red its a good trail for honing skills etc.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i didnt like it at all!!!and the cafe was a rip off!!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Crap riders think its good because they can then boast on STW forum that they are some kind of ally superhero on a bike because they've bimbled around a woefully mis-named 'black route'. If you don't like it too technical (and con tray to the sword-weilding oriental its anything but, no matter how fast you ride it) then its worth a visit but otherwise better is available. And yes, I've ridden it on a singlespeed (on my jump seeking DB Holeshot), on a 'normal' singlespeed at a fair old lick and on a Giant Trance in order to give it a fair chance in case I was over/under biked but at no time did it provide anything other than exercise. It is MBR subscriber fodder or somewhere for locals to get an easy ride in and little more. Of course if you do find it technical then I'd steer clear of proper black routes and don't even think of booking a trip to the Alps.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla – Any good – what's it like?’ is closed to new replies.