Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Lithium Chainsaw
  • organic355
    Free Member

I know there have been lots of chainsaw threads on here but I spotted one of these in BandQ the other day:

a lithium battery powered chainsaw? surely the battery would last long enough to get through 2 or 3 logs?

Anyone used one?

Saying that I have a Bosch battery powered lawnmower which is great. but that cuts grass which will be a lot easier on the motor than wood no?

cr500dom
    Free Member

They are surprisingly good, even the little Black & Decker one, you are not going to be cutting all day with them but for stealthy trail pixies and Northshore building they are ace

organic355
    Free Member

so could I get through a tonne of logs with one charge?

cr500dom
    Free Member

Unlikely IMHO
    They are really designed for heavy duty pruning rather than stocking up for winter.
    Petrol is the way to go if you have a lot to cut and dont need the stealth approach

organic355
    Free Member

I don’t know why but petrol chainsaws are a lot scarier than electric, I am sure they can do the same damage, but a petrol one just seems more vicious? perhaps its the noise?

wwaswas

The advantage of the ryobi stuff is that all the tools use the same battery so you can just keep buying ‘bare’ tools and using same batteries.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I am sure they can do the same damage<

In theory but the power delivered by even the smallest of engines way exceeds these electric jobs

flip
    Free Member

You could buy a basic petrol one for the same money, which would go all day with 3 or 4 fills 🙄

And noise is good.

geoffj

I think the size of the limb being cut in the picture tells you all you need to know.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

If thats all it can cut get a Silky and save some money.

flip
    Free Member

My spare Husky was only 200 notes, never let me down..

Love chainsaws, noisier the better 8)

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Love chainsaws, noisier the better

Not when you’re being using them all day. Though its good to rev them up when someone is trying to make a call on their mobile 🙂

timber

Seeing more adverts for battery saws in forestry journal, more of a garden or climber alternative to a top handle saw. In theory, you should get a good torque figure from an electric motor, but depends what they have fitted relative to a petrol saw.

Main thing to look at is parts availability / disposability of saw in the long run.

Personally I wouldn’t bother, bow saw or Silky for the workload that is designed for.

organic355
    Free Member

whats a silky? a handsaw?

Right where is that chainsaw thread I started 6 months ago?, need a petrol one me thinks, gotta get through at least a tonne of logs, some up to 30cm diameter.

flip
    Free Member
    bristolbiker
    Free Member

Right where is that chainsaw thread I started 6 months ago?, need a petrol one me thinks, gotta get through at least a tonne of logs, some up to 30cm diameter.

If you’re just logging (and, obviously near a power socket) then a decent electric will do. Got a Husky 321 for logging at home as it’s a lot cleaner, quiter and more than powerful enough. Also quiet a bit lighter, which makes a difference for continual pick it up/put it down faffing. Obv, petrol is the way forward down the woods…….

geoffj

I got a Husky 236e with the tooless tensioning. I’ve been very pleased with it.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My old man has an electric Bosch chainsaw and it is crap for cutting down trees and chopping up logs.

I had 6 pretty big conifer type trees at the bottom of my garden that I needed to cut down borrowed his Bosch and it took about 45 mins to get through one of the smaller trunks (about 20cm across) I ended up using a bow saw to do the next. After realising that wasn’t ideal I went into B&Q for a mooch and came across a small petrol saw knocked down to £20 because apparently it wouldn’t start, these are normally priced up at £100 and seem very reasonable at full price. Its quite a light duty one as you would expect but it coped really well with chopping down my trees, some with trunks up to 40cm across, and then chopping it all into logs small enough to lift. The chain was a bit low rent and blunted quite fast but what can you expect for that kind of money. OK its a bit of a pain to start at times but I would much rather it to an electric on any day.

This is it.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11337540&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=20&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372012}%2fcategories%3C{9372021}%2fcategories%3C{9372064}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dchainsaws___loppers&fh_eds=%C3%9F&isSearch=false

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I had 6 pretty big conifer type trees at the bottom of my garden that I needed to cut down borrowed his Bosch and it took about 45 mins to get through one of the smaller trunks (about 20cm across) I ended up using a bow saw to do the next.

If it’s not a case of the electric saw stalling, due to lack of power, then it’s just a case of a blunt chain, surely?

swamp_boy

+1 for the Silky – or a traditional big [24 – 30″] bowsaw, with a new blade to replace the one that’s been rusting away in the back of the shed.

Cheaper, quieter, safer and good exercise.

I_Ache
    Free Member

bristolbiker.

It just didn’t seem to have the grunt, as a disclaimer these are the only two chainsaws I have ever used. The electric one didn’t have the kick that the petrol one does, when I was looking at petrol ones I noticed that the petrol saws have a higher chain rpm so im sure that makes a difference.

Stoner
    Free Member

and dont forget to make yourself one of these too. Brilliant time saver.
    [img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nDE4IRmq5-I/TgjnxuQuTLI/AAAAAAAAABg/BOIjzWP9fFQ/s640/IMG_0127.JPG[/img]

organic355
    Free Member

and dont forget to make yourself one of these too. Brilliant time saver.

What is it?

beanieripper
    Free Member

it’s his north shore obstacle…

geoffj

It’s genius, although I’m not 100% convinced about the wisdom of burning pressure treated timber.

Stoner
    Free Member

the treated stuff went on the bonfire, not in the log burner.

its homemade a cantilever saw horse based on something like:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SawJaw-Logga-UK-New-design-Saw-Horse-Development-/260673001375?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item3cb152579f#ht_702wt_911

geoffj

the treated stuff went on the bonfire, not in the log burner.

Glad to hear it. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t know why but petrol chainsaws are a lot scarier than electric, I am sure they can do the same damage, but a petrol one just seems more vicious? perhaps its the noise?

The thing with elec saws is that they don’t have to have a flywheel and when the power is cut they can use the motor to actively stop the chain, rather than just letting it roll to a halt. Much safer really, but definitely the weedier brother, especially if battery powered. I’d love a battery powered one for stocking up on logs I see lying in the forests clearing trails of dead wood.

beanieripper
    Free Member

that electric saw must be pretty gutless to be sold without a chain brake.. you cant even compare that to a half decent petrol saw, definately no good in the long term for logging up..

derek_starship
    Free Member

Lithium Chainsaw – great name for a band !

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Lithium Chainsaw’ is closed to new replies.