Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Liteville 301 builds, inspire me!
  • rob2
    Free Member

I don’t get this high BB thing in the mag as I get pedal strikes if I’m not careful (150 mm forks). I think it’s just very sensitive to the sag so if you have too little it really sits up. (actually I have no idea but so that is a total guess).

The little red indicator sag thing I found to be spot on with 2 turns of rebound.

Post a pic when complete sir!

dogdaysunrise
    Free Member

Beautiful pictures and bike ecky thump!!!

I have a 301XL and I’m running 27.5 all around. According to their scaled sizing XL is supposed to be run with 29/27.5.

A Hans Dampf 2.3 fits pretty nicely in there actually. I’m running Continental Mountain Kings in 2.4. There’s very little room with that combo but I don’t ride much in mud and it’s a mountain bike so the little scratches from rocks back there don’t bother me.

The problem of that review is that he rode the 301 with 160 linkages and 27.5 combo. Then the BB gets way to high. If you’re running 27.5 all around or 29/27.5 only 140 linkages should be used in my opinion.
    Then you’re in the ballpark of a Specialized Enduro or Trek Slash.

The 301 feels like more travel than 140 already so I don’t see the point in 160 and for that a 601 might be the better option anyway.

dogdaysunrise
    Free Member

…..one thing I forgot……
    Vonplatz: the CC DB as well as the inline does NOT fit the 301!
    You will have to take a dremel to your linkages to make it work if you’re up for it.

The CC does also not perform the best in a 301.
    I recommend going with a RS Monarch + and have it specifically tuned.
    The 301 is special, not every shock works in there, most of them are overdamped.

Write Stefan an email! wildsautreiber@gmail.com
    He tunes Monarchs specifically for the 301 to your liking.
    Your riding style, your weight, your MK Model, your preferences!
    He’s become so popular that he now tunes the bikes for Liteville team riders and other professionals for Syntace.

seadog101

Will you kindly stop posting on this topic.

I would love to get a 301. But am not allowed or able to spend that much money on a bike. They are the finest and tidiest looking FS bike ever conceived . And I have hardly hear a bad word said of them.

wwaswas

But am not allowed or able to spend that much money on a bike

I was fortunate to get one in the Bromley Bike Ebay clearout last year or I’d still just be watching from the sidelines too.

vonplatz
    Free Member

Wow, thanks a lot dogdaysunrise, for every troll and facetious idiot on here you occasionally get top notch advice!!

It’s also interesting the point you made about the travel options, I’m running 140 and was toying with the idea of going for the 160 plates. According to what you said i should have gone for a 26″ rear wheel?

Hmmm, I don’t think I can reasonably drop that amount of cash on plates and a rear wheel. If it would be compatible with my QR Soul maybe but no…

As you’ve mentioned the feel of the 140 is up till now bottomless, even in a bike park.

+1 for the Bromley clearout. I’m getting to like the bike more and more and even if they release a new 301 at this years Eurobike you know that it’s not going to be some complete chassis overhaul that makes you feel like you’ve bought the bike 6 months too early.

HansRey

frame unpacked. Looks good, although the raw finish s quite underwhelming. No pictures yet. I’m waiting for payday, to order a new wheel and cranks, then it should be built. Could be three weeks..!

One nice touch is that they supply those frames with scotch brite pads, in case you want to tidy the frame up. They do think of the small details.

andytherocketeer

even if there is a Mk13 (or whatever number it’s up to now +1) at Eurobike, you know it’ll be just another small evolution on the current model.

this one’s back on my list (in 140mm). need to think if i’d run it fully 26 (got about 3 sets of usable wheels), fully 650b, or pop a 650b fork in and run 26 for now until I cba to get new wheels.

guessing an XL if i’m 6ft2 ?

rob2
    Free Member

get the stickers on and its looks better!

wwaswas

guessing an XL if i’m 6ft2

I’m 6’1″ and have a Large. It’s a long bike already, I’m not sure I’d want to be moving anything with much more distance between the hubs around for the sort of riding I do.

You’re welcome to sling your leg over my 301 for a test if you like – I’m near Brighton.

P20

I did wonder when I saw a pic of a CCDB inline on a 301. Nice advice, but I’m happy with the fox

andytherocketeer

I’m in Germany (and have only ever seen about 2 here, IRL), but thanks for the offer anyway.

Vaguely recall being on the L/XL boundary before when I last checked the size thingy (ages ago), but tbh, that’s the case for lots of bikes. Will dig up past threads and get the tape measure out before sending a wad of cash.

Multi-owner warranty too. Not many do that.

wwaswas

bit of colour being introduced across the range looking at this pic from the stw Eurobike post;

HansRey

i’m 6’2”, 6’3” and went for the XL

andytherocketeer

there’s always been a custom colour option afaik? (may need to go to the right dealer or direct for that)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

A few thoughts on sizing:
    Re the pics of the two bikes that I posted up there^
    Mine is and XL – I’m somewhere between 6’2″ and 6’3″ with long legs.
    The other is a Large – The owner is virtually identical height to me.

… so I guess either would suit you Andytherocketeer, just depends how you like your bikes.
    My previous bike was a 20″ Five
    His previous bike was a L Mk2 Nomad

Very short stem (30mm Syntace) with 780 bars works really well for both of us.
    Both are 26″ rear and 27.5″ front, with 160 plates and 160 Pikes.

ferrit
    Free Member

I noticed that certainly in terms of seat-tube length, an XL 301 is more similar to an L from most other manufacturers. Almost identical to the Nicolai Helius AC I had previously.

I’m also about 6’2″ with long legs and on a L 301, there’s no way the seat tube would be long enough.

Also, running mine in 160mm mode with 26″ wheels.

P20

I’m 5’8″ on a large. I base my bikes on toptube length. The medium would have required a layback post, there isn’t one long enough for the amount of required post insertion. The large fits me fine. Previous bikes have been medium yetis, all around the same length tt.
    Never found the bb too high. When it had the fox 140s on it, I was getting pedal strikes, much better with the 160mm pikes

dogdaysunrise
    Free Member

Vonplatz, thank you sir! Glad I could contribute.
    If you have the 140 linkages then 27.5/27.5 or 27.5/26 is fine.

For everyone being 6 foot and a bit over.
    You’re right between L and XL.
    A test ride would be best.
    I’m 6’1 and Liteville recommended XL for me when I called them. Before I rode an L. I’m glad I made the switch, the owner at Liteville is slightly shorter than me and rides a XL too.
    Since frame size is not just frame size… I’m running my XL with a 50mm stem and a 760mm handlebar.
    I dig that, with an L I would have to run a longer stem or shorter Handlebar.

chickenman

I’m 6’2″ and have an XL as I am using a 30mm stem; 140 plates, 160 Lyrics and 26″ wheels. Wheelbase is long but doesn’t seem to make the bike clumsy in the tight stuff. Wouldn’t want a lower BB.

Crell
    Free Member

I would love to get a 301. But am not allowed or able to spend that much money on a bike.

I put mine together for 3500 all in. Xx1, pikes, reverb etc. Still not exactly cheap but you just need to keep an eye out for deals.

HansRey

i’m a bit confused about adapters for my rear wheel hub. Does the liteville need a 135x12mm or 142x12mm hub?

andytherocketeer

Since Liteville was one of the first ever to back Syntace X12, I’d imagine 142×12 ?

edit: thinking about it, isn’t Liteville owned by or a brand of Syntace? or vice versa? or owned/run by the same guy?

Crell
    Free Member

142 x12

honourablegeorge

andytherocketeer – Member
    Since Liteville was one of the first ever to back Syntace X12, I’d imagine 142×12 ?

edit: thinking about it, isn’t Liteville owned by or a brand of Syntace? or vice versa? or owned/run by the same guy?

Founded by the Syntace owner and one of his designers.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Syntace X12, 142×12

Yes, correct.

Yes, this is why.

[edit] Ooops, too late, thankyou honourablegeorge [/edit]

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

its a hideous abomination. frankenstein need only add them new hope cranks to complete the monster.

HansRey

good. 142×12, thanks for confirming this everybody. Will check if i have a wheel to fit tonight

chiefgrooveguru

I noticed that certainly in terms of seat-tube length, an XL 301 is more similar to an L from most other manufacturers.

The Liteville sizing concept is that you buy the frame length that fits and the low top tube, short seat tube and 34.9mm diameter 480mm long seatpost allows you to get the pedalling height you need whether you’re long or short of leg.

I’m not sure how that translates with dropper posts but generally they’re really long – I could easily get the pedalling height I need with my dropper post on my 16.9″ frame (not a Liteville) if I was 6’2″ rather than 5’10.5″, there’s that much spare seatpost inside the frame.

dogdaysunrise
    Free Member

When you go with a dropper, I recommend using the 31.6 with the Syntace shim.
    https://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=3252

The whole package is still lighter than the 34.9 stealth for example and if you ever wanna sell the dropper it’s easier to sell a 31.6.

The X12 axle is the reason Liteville is able to sell their frames in the US.
    Specialized has a patent on the link in the chainstay like the Liteville has.
    After Syntace introduced the X12 axle,they made a deal with specialized.
    Specialized can use the X12 axle and Liteville can sell their frames in the US.

jambo13
    Free Member

Seriously considering a 301 in XXL…. The joys of being 6ft 6. Anyone else had experience with the mk11 160mm 29er set up?

Anyone know who’s importing liteville into the uk these days, is it still evolution imports as their site isn’t the clearest about it!

Also, anyone know of any dealers in Scotland? Google gives me only one shop in edinburgh who’s now been taken over by the edinburgh bicycle co-op…..

dogdaysunrise
    Free Member

Some fellow liteville riders in the german forum ride a 29er 301 XXL and love it, plus it looks so harmonious with the big wheels. I dont know anybody running 160 though but the good news is the XXL frame has a lower BB , its modified for 29er wheels where all other sizes are still based on 26″ wheels.
    Cant help with you with distributors but you can always simply order your frame directly from liteville/syntace.
    That’s what i did before there was a US distributor, so should work just fine getting one into the UK.
    Hope that helps a bit!

dogdaysunrise
    Free Member

Not mine.

boltonjon

Been running mine for 2.5 years and still love it. I’m 6ft 4″ and have a XXL frame – fits me nice, and even with big 60+ mile adventures, my back doesn’t suffer.

I run it with 26″ wheels and 160 front & rear

Pikes/reverb/Thompson stem/Renthal fatboys
    XT cranks & brakes / Saint shifter & mech / 1 x 10
    Hope hubs and Stans Flows

Weighs about 32 lbs and hasn’t broken 🙂

Great do it all bike – has taken a serious hammering. The only problems i’ve had with it were a main pivot bearing which came loose damaging the thread on the bolt and have had problems with water ingression in the downtube weld causing issues with the headset – which is sealed up with gaffer tape

Loads of mud clearance and still looks pretty tidy considering the abuse its taken

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p1JabQ]liteville1[/url] by boltonjon, on Flickr

HansRey

looking good, boltonjon! What year frame do you have?

I’ve more or less finalised the spec for the bike. It’ll be 140mm with 26” initially whilst i try that out. Hence having a rather odd front wheel combo. I’ll have matching wheels when i’m sure whether to stick with 26” or if i want to try out 650b. Choices, choices…

MK11 301 frame, 140mm plates
    Marzocchi 44 Ti RC3, 150mm
    Hope Tech Enduro rear wheel, Sun Ringle black flag front wheel
    Saint cranks (1×10)
    Zee shifter
    XT rear mech
    XT cassette
    XT brakes w/ 180mm rotors

boltonjon

My frame is a MK10 from early 2012

Mixed wheels – the shame of it 🙂

My flows have different stickers due to a big stick in wheel incident – its pains me every time I see them – but not enough to build a new front wheel 🙁

aye-aye
    Free Member

A friend of mine is selling their 26″ Liteville 301 160mm soon if anyone is interested.
    It’s a large with Lyriks, X0 drivetrain and DT Swiss EX1750 wheels

Not sure how much it will be but probably a bargain as they need to sell quickly.

edayeaye AT yahoo DOT co.uk

Cheers

boltonjon

Look at this for a weapon – they reckon 24 lbs for the medium

29er with 120mm

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p283HM]LV1[/url] by boltonjon, on Flickr

Andy

29er with 120mm

go on, go on, go on you know you want to 😀

boltonjon

I suppose it’d only be a small change from what i have now…..people might not even notice…… 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Liteville 301 builds, inspire me!’ is closed to new replies.