Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Listed building… Survey? Insurance? Anything else?
  • crikey
    Free Member

Anyone had major problems, or got any pertinent advice?

(Can this go in the Chat forum please?)

5lab
    daznal
    Free Member

Bike content

ianv
    Free Member

Depends if it is grade 1 or 2.

1 is a proper PITA as you can do pretty much nothing without permission.
    2 is slightly less of a PITA but you will still need permission to do most things.

And any work you do will be more expensive than a non listed building. Any work done by a previous owner that the council deem to be non compliant will be your responsibility to put right.

crikey
    Free Member

So talk to council planning officer or listed building looker after then?

meesterbond

We moved into a listed building at the beginning of the year… no probs so far, or at least none that weren’t highlighted in the survey.

Paid for a full survey – not cheap, but the surveyor was there the whole day 9.30 – 5pm and we met him on site for a couple of hours at the end of the day so he could explain his findings. Meant we went into the purchase with our eyes open.

We’re currently insured through Hiscox – choice of insurers is somewhat limited and again, not exactly bargain basement.

We’ve not tried to do anything to the property which would need planning permission, apparently our local planning officer is perfectly reasonable provided you start talking to her early in the process, so can’t help there.

highclimber
    Free Member

Keep your planning officer sweet!

woodsman
    Free Member

No probs here – almost 20 years owner of a listed building. Really not that much of a PITA, unless you want to try and make it into something it isn’t, but then you probably wouldn’t want to own a listed building in the first place. Building insurance is the only pitfall, I went with the mortgage company to avoid hassle, contents through M&S.

I redesigned the windows, put applications in for Chimney rebuilds as well – no probs at all! And there is no fee if it’s something that only requires listed building consent and not general planning. VAT exempt if you do decide on extending and no, they do not expect or want a modern pastiche(sp) of the original part of the building! Modern, with local materials desirable, but quality being the main thing.

Don’t let it put you off, unless you have big plans to turn it into something it isn’t. The listed building officers at County level are really helpful and encouraging and not as rigid as you may be led to believe. Go for it!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A mixed bag here – listed building in a conservation area ( and abig multi owner building)

I cannot put in as much insulation as I would like, its expensive to maintain

However insurance is no issues – I am with M&S for contents and axa for bricks and mortar. I have done a fair amount of internal modification and have managed to restore and retain a lot of original stuff.

mefty
    Free Member

I think it varies area by area and is very dependent upon what approach the guy at the local authority takes, it can also give busy bodies the opportunity to do their worst. Particular care should be taken where a building has been knocked about abit before it was listed. As a result, relatively modern extensions of no merit whatsoever can be protected and a pedantic local officer could stop you doing stuff that actually improves the property and is more in keeping with the original architecture.

ziggy
    Free Member

I’d be wary if it was me. My parents own a 200 yr old grade 2 listed and it’s cost them a few quid over the years.

The sash windows on the first floor needed replacing as the frames were very rotten and there was more filler than wood. They were aware they would have to fit the same in appearance, but were told by the LA that they have to fit 2mm glass as per the original due to it’s reflective qualities ( I kid you not).

So balls to energy efficiency, so long as it looks nice! Oh and £8k for 4 wondows.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ziggy – you can get double glazed seal units that meet the requirements – I have them in my flat. 2 mm glass with a 4 mm argonfill gap (iirc)
    £8 for 4 windows is similar to what I paid. You can also fit secondary units as well

woodsman
    Free Member

Secondary glazing here too, behind my own design windows. The house had horrible 1960’s poor quality windows, that were rotten anyway when I moved in. I liked the design of some local style windows – featured on some listed buildings and some not, and drew up a template to fit mine , had them made up. The listed building officer was very enthusiastic when I spoke to him about my plans. I wouldn’t bother with a local planning officer – I think I knew more than them (!) go straight to county level listed buildings officer. There will only be one covering a big area! We have one for West Sussex who visits our local authoritory less than a weekly basis – he can overide/persuade the planning officers so get in with him first! Really no hassle at all, they are so used to complete numpties, that if you show some knowledge and more so respect for what you own it’s win win win! 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Listed building… Survey? Insurance? Anything else?’ is closed to new replies.