• This topic has 45 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Linkedin. Can somebody tell me what it actually does?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Well?

sobriety
    Free Member

Facebook for business.

binners

Its so that people who are so spirit-crushingly tedious you’d never add them on Facebook, get to pretend they’ve got some friends

DaRC_L

It’s a way of looking for a job without looking for a job.

toby1

It gives recruitment agents a way to work out random people at organisations to email with CV’s in a speculative manner!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Facebook without the poking.

GrahamS

Basically an online CV and a way to see who you know and who they know etc.

As an employer you get a candidate in, look at his LinkedIn profile and see he is connected to someone you know, so you call them up and get an unofficial reference.

As a jobseeker you find out that your mate knows someone at the company you’re applying to so he can put in a good word for you.

Modern version of the “Old Boy’s Network”, but also for girls 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Networking innit. Good way of being head hunted rather than having to hunt, apparently.

noteeth
    Free Member

It’s a way of looking for a job stalking without looking for a job actually stalking.

aP
    Free Member

Also a good way to work out who’s intending to move by the frantic mining of their outlook contacts list.

purpleyeti
    Free Member

It’s a way of looking for a job stalking without looking for a job actually stalking.

thats facebook isn’t it?

binners

Its like the Bullingdon Club for povs

lunge

GrahamS sums it up nicely for me.

From a work seekers point of view it’s another way of getting your details “out there”. Good way to look up old contacts and tell them you’re looking for work. It’s used by a lot of recruiters which may not be a bad think if you’re looking.

Edit. It also works better if you invest time in it. If you join groups, send messages, connect to people, comments on things your profile will become more prominent so more people will contact you.

GrahamS

GrahamS sums it up nicely for me.

Thanks. Can I have a Recommendation?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Don’t know but it’s very difficult to remove your profile.

lunge

GrahamS, only if you can introduce me to your network…

titusrider
    Free Member

very relevant to a contracting/ consulting point of view for recommendations

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s groups as well. These include chat forums where people chat about work. Handy for finding leads, especially as a freelancer.

sweaman2
    Free Member

It’s also useful to keep track of former collegues / classmates who have sinced moved on.. or at least that’s what I use it for..(oh.. he’s working at x now etc, etc)

bigG
    Free Member

It’s a great way to see who is looking for a new job as they add hundreds of contacts (including recruitment consultants) in a very short space of time. If that’s not a giveaway clue to your boss that you’re unhappy in your role then what is?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

“imagine a world populated by those dreadful grasping middle management sorts in their ill-fitting suits and bottom-of-the-range-but-one AUDIs, incessantly **** each other off while recruitment plebs spam everyone involved” was how it was described to me.

metalheart
    Free Member

Say what you like but within 24 hours of signing up my mate (who was crashing at mine) had an approach which led him to a just starting a job in Monaco!

I always thought he was a tosser anyways…

Del

hmm. {looksatlinkdininviteswithrenewedinterest}

compositepro
    Free Member

It’s middle class Facebook in it

Also a good way for recruitment agency scum to go through your cv and then bombard the firms you previously worked for and people your connected with at those firms with phone calls trying to place people.

Missed random Jeremy’s description but his is a better explanation than mine

thepurist

Well if you find LinkedIn baffling you’ll be truly stumped by Ecademy – as far as I can tell it’s aimed at the same sort of people as LinkedIn but you have to pay (up to 80 quid a month!) to use most of the features, which seem to be pretty damn similar to what LinkedIn does for nowt. Bonkers.

darrell
    Free Member

i get at least 2 calls a weeks from Headhunters from being “found” on linkedin

BigJohn

I just (cringingly) love the comments that people post on discussions.

They’re so obviously eager to put across the “right message” all positive, “look at me” and “yeah, go for it”.

bigjim

Its a very easy way to get invitations to interview without making any effort at all 😀

Also it is terrifying how few ‘links’ away people can be, I looked up a potential candidate from Australia whose CV I had received for a job in London, and she was only two people away from me. Small world.

binners

The only people I know who regularly ‘use’ it have one thing in common.

They all have jobs where they talk endlessly about stuff. Usually in complete management twatty-bollox. but its difficult to ascertain what they actually DO. If anything.

In fact randomjeremy has pretty much summed them up for me. Starlingly accurately actually

deadslow

Love it, You need to get profile to 100% before it is any use and get your keywords appropriate to what you want.
    It found me two contracts lasting 15 months total and then a perm role so works for me. Lots of Webinars for free explaining how it works so worth doing well.

jota180
    Free Member

Webinars

Binners was right

BigJohn

Is there a huge difference between the free and the pay-for?

binners

I’d imagine the difference is in the users. The ones who pay I would think are a salespersons wet dream

Stoner
    Free Member

what’s your most inappropriate “profile viewed by”?
    Mine yesterday:

“Someone in the Entrepreneur function in the Apparel & Fashion industry from Mauritius”

WTF?

Harry_the_Spider

“Someone in the Entrepreneur function in the Apparel & Fashion industry from Mauritius”

Sorry. That was me.

Stoner
    Free Member

love me long time?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gary Fisher looked at me the other day. As did a product manager from Fisher Outdoor just this week.

Stoner
    Free Member

*goes to link to CFH*

EDIT pffft. already in my network 🙄

(3rd degree though)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Ponders recommendation for Stoner…*

The man’s good with a graph, I’ll give ‘im that! Can’t remember who he’s already connected to, mind you…..

🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

anyway, couldnt link to you CFH, it would blow your cover eh, eh 😉 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Linkedin. Can somebody tell me what it actually does?’ is closed to new replies.