Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Lightweight strong finishing kit – thoughts?
  • letmetalktomark

My current go to for finishing kit is Thomson.

The Thomson stuff sure seems strong but and its fairly lightweight.

If I wanted strong but lighter weight where should I be looking?

Looking for seat post, bars, stem.

ton

blackspire stuff is proper tough.

Daffy

Easton EA90/EC90/Haven.

wrecker
    Free Member

Syntace?

letmetalktomark

Are they going to be much lighter than the Thomson stuff?

stevied
    Free Member

Syntace? Not cheap but very good quality.

My Megaforce stem is about 50g’s lighter than the equivalent Thomson

njee20
    Free Member

What sort of use? Is this XC lightweight, or lightweight but landing 6′ drops clumsily?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Answer pro taper sl bars, renthal apex stem. No idea about posts as i use proper droppers! 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

You aren’t going to lose a huge amount of weight from changing finishing kit. 200g maybe?

ton

just go for a good shit before riding……….a pound is easy to shit.

jonnym92

Ride more.

letmetalktomark

Thanks all for the thoughts.

Looking for XC use – going to go on a “race” bike but at near on 100kg some of the really light weigh stuff scares me!

dustytrails

Easton, Enve, Raceface, Renthal but as said above you’ll only save 200g if you’re lucky and it will cost too unless you can find some deals!

dustytrails

ALSO….Don’t buy lightweight stuff from ebay – too many snide bits on there…I always go to a “proper” shop for stuff that could be catastrophic if it brakes…IE. Bars, Stem Seatpost

Kryton57

Looking for XC use – going to go on a “race” bike but at near on 100kg some of the really light weigh stuff scares me!

Just buy the kit thats on XCracer.com’s shop. All my KCNC stuff, Carbon Mt Zoom bars & light QR’s have taken quite a hammering in crashes and are fine. The end of my bars – covered by a foam grip – have been a little splintered by a crash but have been fine since*

* and if you knew me, you’d know my paranoia levels are higher than the average fellow.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Thomson aren’t light, posts are OK, stems are heavy.

KCNC do some light posts and stems, not sure how tough they are though, and styling leaves a bit to be desired.

everyone
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Ritchey kit and if you’ve got the cash then the superlogic stuff is seriously nice

nikk
    Free Member

Stem – Ritchey C260 is very light and IMO well made : http://ritcheylogic.com/road/stems/wcs-c260-84d-blatte-stem.html

Bars – Mt Zoom http://mtzoom.com/handlebars/ultralight-flat-bar-720mm-9-degree-bend-124g/

Thompson elite seatpost is competitively light, even if you get into carbon posts.

If you want lighter than any of that, go for expensive German carbon.

ton – just go for a good shit before riding……….a pound is easy to shit.

🙄

Or do that _as well_ as lighten your bike, unless you like cycling around with the turtles heed?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Syntace or Enve

cynic-al
    Free Member

ton – Member
    just go for a good shit before riding……….a pound is easy to shit.

Can I see your turd on your scales to prove this?

Dream on, 200gm max.

eshershore
    Free Member

3T do some great MTB kit which is regularly discounted online. I picked up a stem for £25 and wide flat bars for £35 both heavily discounted. Both are light but stiff/tough, 3T certainly have experience with aluminium alloys.

Went with Easton for a full carbon seatpost, not cheap at £85(discounted) but money well spent, light well built and comfortable compared to the aluminium post if replaced.

I’ve had lots of Thomson elite/x4 over the years it was nice to try new kit

taxi25
    Free Member

Plus 1 for xcracer.com I’ve got mnt zoom bars and kcnc stuff all over my light bike. I’m no lightweight and nothings broken so far.
    As for having a dump before a ride, I do and my bikes light as well 😀

bensales
    Free Member

heheh. The saddle on my new bike has a 240lb weight limit. I’m 212b butt nekkid… But that said, in 20 years of being a weightweenie, I’ve never broken anything even when I’ve been heavier than I am now. Stuff is tougher than you think it is.

br
    Free Member

Easton, Enve, Raceface, Renthal but as said above you’ll only save 200g if you’re lucky and it will cost too unless you can find some deals!

SDG I-Beam saddle and carbon post, probably saved 200g already.

Then Renthal 740mm bars are sub 180g and top off with an On-One CNC stem at just over 100g (with Ti bolts).

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Mt Zoom Carbon Bar – 125g (£95)
    Kalloy UNO Stem – 100g (£20)
    Hylix Carbon seatpost – 150g (£45)

Northwind

Thomson’s neither especially light nor very strong ime- bent my seatpost in a nothing incident, it wasn’t a bad weight but it wasn’t very strong. Cracked my stem faceplate, was annoying as their response was more or less “Yeah it’s perfectly normal for that to happen”. Hasn’t happened to my Pro or KCNC stems, which cost less than half as much and have had probably 5 times as much use, and are I think lighter to boot.

Bars- maybe check out RSP’s Ego DH carbon, I don’t want to swear by strong as I’ve only had mine 6 months or so but it’s rated for DH use and certainly not fragile, it’s a reasonable weight (200g for the 760mm flat, slightly more for the 780mm riser, nice shape, and costs about £50. Shiny finish which is a wee bit offputting but still, very good stuff for the money. By no means the lightest, but practical, properly wide, and good everyday kit.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Rental, Enve,

dirtydog
    Free Member

Wonder what happened to SMICA (Post Moderne? )?

They did a few budget, lightweight posts and stems, seemed to have disappeared off scene.

Anyone got a link for those Kalloy UNO stems, can’t find much?

bearGrease

Can I see your turd on your scales to prove this?

Dream on, 200gm max.
    Have you seen the size of him?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Anyone got a link for those Kalloy UNO stems, can’t find much?

ebay.

dirtydog
    Free Member

mtbmatt – Member

ebay.

Cheers Matt, just ordered an AS025, quoted as 101 grams for 100mm.

damascus
    Free Member

If you are on a budget aerozine stuff is pretty good. The x1 cranks are lighter than xtr. The seatpost looks like a copy of the kcnc stuff. They do narrow wide rings and expander cogs too.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight strong finishing kit – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.