Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • halal meat and christmas carols at a church of England School
  • sweepy
    Free Member

How does halal compare with kosher?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I think most places that mass-cater pre-prepared meals buy Halal by default for ease of and cost of bulk buying, and as a result many of their large suppliers will default their production to Halal. All our police custody meals are Halal for example.

kimbers

Won’t somebody think of the chickens !

PC madness, world gone mad, what about baby Jesus and Santa, is his mince pie halal, what does Donald Trump think?

LHS
    Free Member

I got suspended from my C of E school for the last week of school for not singing Christmas carols. I had a teacher scream at me because I was pointing out the basic errors in the Christmas story to the whole class. I asked the teacher why he was screaming and he just walked to the headteachers office and told the headteacher that I had called him a Fing C and asked that I be removed from school, which I was.

I was a little prick at school but that teacher was a monumental bellend.

Got that off my chest, saved me $3000 with my shrink.

Cougar

Just think, by way of showing your gratitude you could buy a Premier digital subscription with the money you’ve saved.

(-:

LHS
    Free Member

i’ll take one for xmas

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@sweepy – pukka

I hear donald tdumps waded in on canadian abbatoirs now. Says they should all be shut down.
    Beacause of all the moose limbs.

Eh? Eh? Moose limbs? No?

konabunny
    Free Member

sweepy – Member
    POSTED 42 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

A different group of hirsute pedants wanders around once a year and collects a cheque from the processor.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@just5 and what happens when the industrial scale that is non-Halal slaughter fails to stun the animal ? My belief that the number of animals who are not stunned correctly exceeds total Halal meat slaughter by a very large amount.

I am guessing no Rabi’s are involved in Halal 😉 I would think the two are quite similar as they have the same “health and safety” derivation

kimbers

Jamby is speaking sense

ransos
    Free Member

Sorry but this is just plain wrong. The British Veterinary Assoc. could not have been clearer in their last observational study of slaughterhouses – slaughter without stunning causes significant avoidable suffering particularly to larger animals.

1. The vast majority is stunned.
    2. Stunning doesn’t always work.

When considering the entire meat production chain in the UK, focussing on stunned halal vs stunned conventional slaughter is an utter triviality. It’s difficult to take at face value the concerns that are expressed on this issue.

slowoldman

Put that another way: halal slaughter may have been preferable to non-halal slaughter in the absence of better methods; but if we have better methods then rather than being preferable it’s actually worse.

Well religious zealots are not particularly well known for applying the old stories logically.

rOcKeTdOg

amazingly halal meat tastes the same as meat killed in any other way. how carnivores can get upset how the animals they eat readily are killed is beyond me.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

how carnivores can get upset how the animals they eat readily are killed is beyond me.

Really? I find it fairly easy to understand why meat-eaters might be concerned about the production and slaughter methods used to provide them with meat.

Have another go and think about it again.

rOcKeTdOg

Really? I find it fairly easy to understand why meat-eaters might be concerned about the production and slaughter methods used to provide them with meat.

if you’re that concerned maybe you should consider veganism? animals are bred for one thing and it’s not for petting and billing and cooing over

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

animals are bred for one thing and it’s not for petting and billing and cooing over

It doesn’t automatically follow that they should be exposed to unnecessary suffering.

It is perfectly reasonable that someone should want to eat meat which hasn’t involved cruelty and unnecessary suffering in its production.

I’m surprised that anyone should struggle to understand that.

wrecker
    Free Member

Becuase the British meat industry treats animals so well

Fair point. If the way in which animals are supposed to be killed worked, it would be fair to say that it’s more humane than halal, but it doesn’t. In fact there isn’t a lot in it.

SaxonRider

I was pointing out the basic errors in the Christmas story to the whole class

Aren’t you just the cleverest? Well done.

Even if things I said as a primary school child had a grain of truth in them, I still feel embarrassed even thinking about them now. Maybe because I’ve had a few accomplishments since.

fin25
    Free Member

Unnecessary suffering???
    Most of the animals we eat lead lives of almost constant suffering.
    I used to be a butcher, and have spent a not inconsiderable amount of time in abattoirs and all killing is bloody unpleasant for the animals.
    I never hear anyone moaning about intensive farming (if you saw the “farms” your milk came from you would be sick) being cruel, always with the same old “halal is barbaric” bollocks.
    Guess what?
    Meat is murder…

(I eat meat.)

chewkw
    Free Member

In the far east we don’t mix. i.e. we let you decide what you want to eat.

We are a multi-racial country but our govt says we are a Muslim country … apparently.

If we eat or like pork then we go to pork eating schools but if we go to non-pork eating school we obey their rules by not eating pork. i.e. majority govt funded ones. Even in some govt funded schools we still have different stalls selling different food catering for different religions but not many.

However, if they come to our schools (non- Muslim or semi govt funded) they just eat from the Muslim stall preparing Muslim food at school. i.e. we have two catering teams. Most schools have at least two sub-contractors catering for food.

We can eat their food but they cannot eat ours … simple. Woohoo!

As for OP’s school you have a head idiot running the school.

In the UK your Muslim population is making such a big fuss about this that their views are even more extreme than ours. What’s with this shite that suddenly all of them becoming so religious all of a sudden? FFS! Just eat elsewhere or eat from different catering team.

Yes, we have all the baddies there too …

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

We are a multi-racial country but our govt says we are a Muslim country … apparently.

What Newcastle?

So it turns out that Donald Trump was that far wrong about the Islamification of Britain.

Btw London is further east than Newcastle so less of the ‘far east’ please.

mrsfry
    Free Member

? You do know that the school offers a vegetarian and vegan option as well. Should they be forced to eat meat and dairy products?

Jeez chaps it’s meat. A decomposing mass of flesh that had a miserable and tragic life and a grotesque death. The school offers options so what’s wrong with taking advantage of those options.

Not having to take part in hymn singing or Christmas is not a new thing. I’m in my forties and remember kids being excused from taking part, plus having selective meals. Just that back then the children were Jewish.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Jeez chaps it’s meat. A decomposing mass of flesh

You need to hone your shopping skills.

You’ll generally find a ‘use by date’ on supermarket meat products.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

chewkw – Member

What Newcastle?

So it turns out that Donald Trumps was that far wrong about the Islamification of Britain.

Btw London is further east than Newcastle so less of the ‘far east’ please. [/quote]

Ahhh … No, not the Geordie Toon.

I was referring to the land I once used to live where I still and like to refer to as “my country”.

The Toon is my home now with the blessing from the Queen but somehow it does not feel exactly like “home” because I was brought up in a non-western environment … We don’t go PC like you lot. We tell it like it is to your face. Yes, we do. That is the norm over there but people just laugh it off without taking much offense … both sides.

Trump is not wrong. Your muslim population here is actually “more muslim” than those from the muslim country like ours. Unfortunately, in UK you have inherited got a bunch of shite stirrer, I am afraid, from Asia continent. In our country (ex) the local muslim don’t like them (from Asia) even when both have the same belief but tolerate them to some extend.

London? It’s just an expensive slum … it’s a little foreign country according to my far east outspoken ex-PM.

😀

edit: FFS! What’s the big deal? Why not just have two canteens … nothing to go anal or PC about this.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ahhh … land I used to live which I still and like to refer to as “my country”.

So why do you keep banging on about UKIP and constantly come out with all this crap claiming refugees should be denied asylum if you don’t even consider that the UK is ‘your country’?

It’s a bit of a nerve interfering and telling people what they should do in their own country, isn’t it?

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Ahhh … land I used to live which I still and like to refer to as “my country”.

So why do you keep banging on about UKIP and constantly come out with all this crap claiming refugees should be denied asylum if you don’t even consider that the UK is ‘your country’.

It’s a bit of a nerve interfering and telling people what they should do in their own country, isn’t it? [/quote]

I like UKIP with their non-PC approach coz they speak their minds and I am use to that.

Yes, some say it’s like turkey voting for Xmas. What? We are in the 70s now?

Besides, I don’t buy the argument of EU Superstate coz it’s just stoopid utopia …

As for whichever country I called “my country” they are all shite to be honest. They are all hell holes and yes they are. When you have not much money regardless where you are they are all shite.

I don’t exactly deny the refugees but rather they should respect the bureaucratic procedures by not swamping the system. (the weak spot for in the bureaucratic system as they are slow to process the information) I learned this the bureaucratic way here so try not to get too emotional about this. They MUST respect the system. As for experience of refugees well where I used to live we have tonnes of them to the point of almost overwhelming the local population.

You called that interfering? Really? 😆

C’mon! Have some confidence in yourself. I think you being kind to think that way by giving me such credit … yes?

If I can really make a different by interfering then that is the day I become the Dear Leader in this country.

Are you really so affected by my response? Crikey … 😮

edit: Where I came from the locals don’t fly the national flag instead it is the “foreigners (2nd/3rd generation migrants)” that fly the national flag. 😆 You fly the national flag you are a foreigner and we can spot you miles away. In the UK it is the opposite … funny world this is.

mefty
    Free Member

One of the great strengths of the CofE is its willingness to take into account other peoples’ wishes, others would argue it is a weakness but I wouldn’t be one of them.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes, some say it’s like turkey voting for Xmas.

Not in your case. You got here as an economic migrant and secured yourself UK nationality, despite apparently not considering the UK to be ‘your country’.

And now you want to deny Syrians fleeing war, for example, asylum in the UK.

It’s nothing like turkeys voting for Christmas.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Yes, some say it’s like turkey voting for Xmas.

Not in your case. You got here as an economic migrant and secured yourself UK nationality, despite apparently not considering the UK to be ‘your country’.[/quote]

FFS! 😆 Do I have to fly the flag? We don’t even do that where I used to be. It’s not something we do.

Our motto is simple. Respect the locals/natives whatever and if we can do that then we are already part of that society/country. Simple. What’s this shite about our country, your country … once friend cheered “Singapore!” loudly during a game of table football (yes a game) as a patriotic gesture he nearly got a good hiding from us.

And now you want to deny Syrians fleeing war, for example, asylum in the UK.

No. They just have to follow the bureaucratic procedures. If they want to seek asylum then fill in all the necessary forms. Get process, queue up etc but why swamp the system? Just because they can or they want to? As my Jewish mate grandma once say … children died if you leave them alone. People die all over the world everyday not that I am heartless but that is the fact.

It’s nothing like turkeys voting for Christmas

Yes, it does coz the lefties once (or several times) said that to me on STW. 😛

konabunny
    Free Member

One of the great strengths of the CofE is its willingness to take into account other peoples’ wishes

Only appropriate considering it was founded to take into account one particular person’s wish to be shot of a spouse. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Barely but it is permissible for Muslims to eat it – oddly enough the racists people deeply concerned about the welfare of the animals factory farmed for their table dont seem to get quite as irate as that

duckman

Ernie getting sucked in by the chewky tractor beam… 😀

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Ernie getting sucked in by the chewky tractor beam…

It is a glorious sight to behold….

milkyman
    Free Member

nowt wrong with not partaking in other peoples so called religions about some invisible sky god.

sweeping stament, how do we know there is no good, to dismiss it out of had is just as bad as being a religious nutter

slowoldman

sweeping stament, how do we know there is no good, to dismiss it out of had is just as bad as being a religious nutter

Doesn’t it come down to whether you require evidence to believe something or whether you accept things through faith?

richc
    Free Member

Doesn’t it come down to whether you require evidence to believe something or whether you accept things through faith?

Do we have all the evidence to prove this one way or another? As I would hate to jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts; especially as our very best optimistic guess we know about ~5% of what the universe is made of, so armed with that extensive knowledge you should be able to make a irrefutable conclusion… just like any teenager can tell you how *everything* works 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

duckman – Member

😆 Beam me up Scotty!

bongohoohaa – Member

It is a glorious sight to behold…. [/quote]
    Oh c’mon! It is not that bad … I did not probe anyone you know. :mrgreen:

Northwind

I think it more or less comes down to this; animal slaughter in the UK has within it fundamental cruelty. So it’s interesting how many people only care about it with halal. In particular, when they don’t care about shechita. Obviously there’s many reasons for this, I don’t know exactly what the split between ignorance, hypocrisy and racism is.

rOcKeTdOg – Member

amazingly halal meat tastes the same as meat killed in any other way. how carnivores can get upset how the animals they eat readily are killed is beyond me.

It’s really not very difficult to understand tbh. Personally I prefer animals to be killed as cruelly as possible, to add to the guilty pleasure.

(ok, really- I’m not comfortable with the level of animal suffering in our slaughter industry. But there’s more than one way to reduce that. Ultimately I’m happy with the idea that we kill animals to eat but we make it suck as little as possible)

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t know exactly what the split between ignorance, hypocrisy and racism is.

Nicely put. 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

So it’s interesting how many people only care about it with halal. In particular, when they don’t care about shechita.

I don’t think your bog standard bigot has got much love for Teh Jews either and if they knew about Jewish ritual slaughter they’d bang on about that too. But they don’t know about it – mostly because there are ten times as many Muslims in the UK as Jews, and you practically never see kosher as a food option. There’s nothing sinister about halal being focused on more than the Wee Frees’ requirement that chickens be kicked to death on the sabbath before its flesh can be consumed (a requirement I just made up).

Otoh I agree that for a certain class of newspaper columnist it’s less uncomfortable to yabber about halal than shechita because they don’t have many Muslim friends, colleagues or bosses.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘halal meat and christmas carols at a church of England School’ is closed to new replies.