Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lights for night trail running
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Clocks are soon going to change and I’ve built up a nice routine that’s going to see me running xc in darkness once a week.
    I’m really looking forward to it, BUT don’t want an injury on the un-even ground.
    I know alot of the trails where I run but often explore other paths, and this is proper trails, not running in a glorified park, so I would expect to find badger holes, roots, rocks etc.
    I have a magic shine on the bike and a small AAA cree light for my helmet but neither of these would really be practical for running.

So, what do others use?
    I’ve looked at the Petzl range and the £20 and under range doesn’t really seem adequate, but there’s a big price jump to the better stuff and as I’m only going to use it once a week I don’t want to spend too much.
    Any ideas?

sandwicheater
    scotroutes

That ebay link is to a “clone” of the LED Lenser H7. I bet there’s little or no difference. Good light for running as the battery balaces out the light unit, the strap is adjustable and comfortable, the beam can be directed into the right place and it has good controlability of zoom and power. I got one last year after a similar request for recommendations on here.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Was in Decathlon yesterday and they have a cracking one that is specifically for running with!
    Front on the chest, rear on back (obviously) but all carried in it’s own specific stretchy holster thingymagigiggamannydooberywhatsit!

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Thanks Sandwich & Scot, looks like it’s worth a go at that price (Bloody hell it’s cheap).
    Ordered.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been using the one in sandwicheater link for camping trips, son has also used it on DoE camping trips and again its been faultless. Great light for the money.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I’ve run and ridden with one of these for 4 years:
    http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/head-torches/mj-838-junior-magicshine-front-light-set-includes-helmet-mount-and-extension-lead.html

It’s ace and still going strong. Battery life is way longer than advertised.

surfer
    Free Member

Just bought an improved one from Alpkit. Looks ample for off road running. Battery on the front which is not the best for balance but seems fine

craigxxl
    Free Member

I bought a LED Lenser SEO5 for the same reason. A really good light with ability to focus the beam to give a nice spread to suit your needs. I’ve used it on the lower setting so far and the batteries last well. The higher setting is seriously bright but probably at the expense of the batteries.
    Strap is wide enough to be comfortable without looking like a bandana. The battery is behind the light unit but it’s not heavy and once in positioned stays where it’s put. The wife uses the same and finds it comfortable too.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Alpkit Gamma isn’t bad for running, its a bit of a fine spot though, but the red light on the battery case on the back is a nice to have on dark lanes.

For more serious stuff, I use my old Hope Vision2 with the headband. Did a Ratrace night race (Mighty Deerstalker in Innerleithin) a couple of years ago and it was noted to be the brightest light on the mountain, visible from the other side of the valley 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

Surfer which Alpkit did you get the Viper or Manta?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lights for night trail running’ is closed to new replies.