Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lighting for ManCave
  • kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

So in the next couple of weeks I’ll be getting a new shed. It’ll have a transparent roof, but I want lots of light to work in there at night through the winter.

It’ll be 8.5 x 4 metres in size, and I’ll need to run an extension out for power – so I want to only have to use one socket for the lighting, if that makes sense.

I’m thinking LED, but don’t really have a clue…

Any ideas, oh STW hivemind?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m going to try these in my man cave…

No idea if they’re any good but the specs suggest they’ll be quite handy.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Nice one, one of those in each corner would give plenty light – only 10W too, tasty.

Cheers for the link!

maccruiskeen

Floods just create shadows, typically your own hand casts a shadow on the thing you are trying to work on. If you have to use them paint the walls / ceilings white and bounce the light off them.

Even light is better than lots of directional light

A few strip lights would be better, just 3 or 4 across a space that size – a more defuse light and no shadow. They won’t use more power than those LEDs, and certainly not more than you’ll be able to take off your extention, with plenty spare.

carlos
    Free Member

Far from a lighting expert and power usage, but I’d agree with maccruiskeen and the 6′ strip light option.

I’m running 3 in my mancave that I got off the bay cheap and they shed plenty of light.

On another note – How secure is the transparent roof going to be??

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Ah ok – this is why STW is good, I hadn’t thought of the shadow thing…

Was planning on painting the interior white as you say mac.

Security isn’t really an issue, if someone wants into a shed they’re getting in. People looking in to see what’s up for grabs shouldn’t be a problem as it’s out in the country, not in town. Good point though.

RustyMac

You may want to have a look at this web site

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Shed-and-Garage-Solar-Lighting.htm

I was looking into making my own system for my shed with a couple of LED strip light and a flood outside with a motion detector. I may also wire in a desk lamp lamp on my work bench.

RustyMac

OOPS double post

Dangerboy
    Free Member

i bought some flexible led strip lighting from deal extreme for my man cave. Runs off a 12V battery or a transformer. Color changing and everything! Really pleased with it.

am on my phone now so it’s difficult to find an appropriate link, but there might be one in my history if you’re really intetested…

cbike
    Free Member

Labcraft 12 v LED Strip is pretty good, I’m sure the stick on stuff is just as good and possibly cheaper too. (I needed the alu extrusion and waterproof exterior mounting)

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Ah, I remember now, it was over on Candlepowerforums I was looking for advice.
    My post is here

The light I bought is here

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lighting for ManCave’ is closed to new replies.