Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Lighting fires with petrol.
  • genghispod
    Free Member

After lighting my garden fire tonight with about a litre of petrol, I was thinking of a conversation at work recently where I claimed that learning how to light a fire with petrol was part of the manhood rite of passage. My collegue said ‘you shouln’t do it’ to which I replied ‘well you do’.

So am I right, or is everyone to scared to have a fire nowadays in case everyone dies?

Torminalis
    Free Member

It’ll be a childs face next time.

cranberry
    Free Member

Wise men use diesel – less likely to flash over and burn you to a crispy cinder.

project
    Free Member

Dont you realise theres wars going on around the world for petrol, people getting kiled daily,people stealing it from parked cars and petrol station drive off, and yet you feel the need to waste, a seriously reducing product on proving your manhood.

LOL.

CHB

A whole litre……!!! Are you made of money?

pault41
    Free Member

Do it boy scout way
    Rub two sticks together ,that proves your manhood.!!!!!

trout
    Free Member

why do you need to use petrol when Bear Ghryls can light a fire in the rain forest with a spark and a bit of fluff

pault41
    Free Member

Watch a few episodes of RAY MEARS !!

sausagefingers
    Free Member

rubbing your manhod between two sticks proves nothing !!!

genghispod
    Free Member

It’s petrol contaminated with diesel and removed from a vehicle, and costs me nothing.

The guy at work lit a fire in a 45 gallon drum the other week and it sounded like a bomb when it went off. Shook all the windows in the building. I nearly went outside to see if he was ok.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I’ll bet you’re glad you posted now! FWIW I agree.

cranberry
    Free Member

Torminalis
    Free Member

Hope this this wasn’t you.

yunki
    Free Member

did you check your fire for hibernating hedgehogs first..?

pault41
    Free Member

rubbing your manhod between two sticks proves nothing !!!

Even better when the bed collapses on you.!!!

provided fire wood thou.!!!

Drac

Ah yes people who light fires with petrol, I’ve met a few of them with no eye brows, tips of nose, fringe and often their arms look like this guys.

If you need petrol to light a fire you need lessons on lighting a fire, a rite of passage is learning to light a fire the correct way.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

is everyone to scared to have a fire nowadays in case everyone dies?

It’s not the fire that’s the problem, it’s the explosive nature of petrol. The son of the owner of my local asian grocer’s decided one day that he would burn a load of rubbish in the garden. He piled it up high in a fairly confined area and doused it heavily with petrol. When he lit it, it exploded – it killed him.

Saccades
    Free Member

why on earth would you need petrol? never mind a litre of it to light a fire.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

why on earth would you need petrol?

I think the point he’s making is that paper and tinder is for girls and gay men, whilst petrol is for proper men.

Personally I think it singles out those who missed out learning survival skills in the scouts.

maccruiskeen

The guy at work lit a fire in a 45 gallon drum the other week and it sounded like a bomb when it went off. Shook all the windows in the building. I nearly went outside to see if he was ok.

A bomb did go off – filling a metal container with petrol vapour and lighting it means a bomb was pretty much what he’d made. Bombs you have to stand right next to in order to detonate them are possible among the least sophisticated bombs you can make though. Petrol’s rubbish for lighting fires, it flares off so fast, if you can use it to get something alight you’re pretty much demonstrating that you didn’t need to use it.

TooTall
    Free Member

Man – you are one testosterone-laden hunk of het.

I’m suprised you have time to type – the local women must be beating a path to your door just to be near you. I truly wish I was man enough to use petrol to light fires. 🙄

onehundredthidiot

FAvoured way of BBQ lighting at work is get a wee spark then turn on the O2 tank.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why cant you light a fire without petrol?
    Are you going to explain how we crack a nut with a sledge hammer next week?

piha
    Free Member

Genghispod’s garden bonfire – impressed!

Hairychested
    Free Member

If you were man enough you put the fire down with petrol!

highclimber
    Free Member

Drac, I think you will find that that guy came to be that way because Robocop drove him into a tank of toxic sludge IIRC.

maccruiskeen

I’m reminded of this bit of fun

“The air in your enclosed stove is now superheating, rising exceptionally rapidly into the sky and sucking in its wake the cold, ground level air through the cracks between the paving slabs. This phenomenon tightly concentrates the fire within, sending jets of flame several feet through the primitive wood roof, and is familiar to the bombers of Dresden as “firestorm.”

Stand back a little.”

Drac

Drac, I think you will find that that guy came to be that way because Robocop drove him into a tank of toxic sludge IIRC.

Robocop didn’t drive him into Toxic sludge, I’ll think you’ll find.

genghispod
    Free Member

Saccades I used petrol because I have several gallons of contaminated fuel as mentioned above.

Re the rite of passage thing, I was suggesting that learning to do it safely was the thing that mattered.

Sorry but this reply has been delayed as my ex-wife has been on the phone reminiscing about my glory days.

New Topic – is it ok to use petrol to light the funeral pyre of your (not dead yet) ex-wife?

Gary_M
    Free Member

learning how to light a fire with petrol

I’m confused here, what’s to learn?

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Using petrol to light a fire is only used by by people who are ignorant of the risks, the vapour burns and can travel quite some distance which means that it could could be ignited by a nearby spark and can create a flash fire.Besides as previous posters have said it is rubbish as it burns off too quickly.
    Use diesel or parrafin instead much more stable and will get the job done but to be honest why do you need it anyway as normaly a bit of cardboard will get most fires going and if not what you are trying to burn is too wet and will only generate lots smoke to wind up the neighbours

highclimber
    Free Member

Damn my memory!

Drac

Pity help mine, I can remember 1000s of crap like that but ask me about important stuff and I’ve had it.

matt_outandabout

Having spent a day a week back on a neolithic firelighting course, anything other than a spark, some pre-prepared horse-hoof fungus (or my secret stash of tinder fungus) and birch back is cheating in the OAB household, or for any of my staff at work.
    Last nights fire of said tinder fungus and birch bark took one set of sparks to ignite 8)

Even better, the storms brought down loads of birch and our drying room at work is full, and I discovered a tree with LOADS of tinder fungus on behind my house 🙂

genghispod
    Free Member

maccruiskeen I didn’t stand next to the bomb when lighting it I threw in a burning stick previously dipped in petrol. I also sometimes use the real man’s method of lighting the spray from an aerosol can and directing the flame onto the flammable material.

I probably could spend time rubbing sticks together of using firelighters which I would have to pay for, and I used to build exquisitely constructed fires in the lounge when we had a real fire, but at the end of the day I want to burn a load of crap in the garden. Fill 45 gallon drum with dried sticks, pour in FREE petrol, throw in flaming stick. Simples

And it makes me feel more of a man ‘cos I didn’t die.

Pieface

Light a fire with petrol???????

MTFU

qwerty
    Free Member

napalm is where its at

maccruiskeen

the vapour burns and can travel quite some distance

The vapour is the fun bit – you know where you’ve poured the petrol but you can’t see where the vapour is going, you would guess it goes up but it often spreads out at ground level. Watched some try to light a camp fire with petrol, only a cup full, the flames went around and behind them – a radius of about 5 feet.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I light my fire with hedgehogs.

genghispod
    Free Member

Napalm? Doesn’t that involve simply dissolving polystyrene in petrol? I can do that!

If I had a helicopter I could deliver it from above and save all the time I spent cutting back the jungle in the first place.

I can see a summer of fun approaching. My 8 year old daughter is going to get an education too. She’s going to love napalm!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Lighting fires with petrol.’ is closed to new replies.