Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Light weight crankset
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

XTR crankset = 770g.

What's as good, better and lighter.

Eldrik
    Free Member

I couldn't say what's as good/better as I haven't used any of the below, but how about one of these, with claimed weights as follows:

Truvativ Noir, 785g? (triple)
    SRAM XX, 754g? (double)
    FRM CU2 M18, 668g? (double)

There's also the Middleburn Duo option, which is around 775g including a BB, I think….

onandon
    Free Member

KCNC, around 650g inc BB for the double

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Cheers but I'm after a triple for a race bike

Coleman
    Free Member

Looks like it's XTR then. 🙂

Speeder

What's a set of Middleburns with an SKF BB?

pate
    Free Member

Race Face Next SL (triple) around 695g
    Race Face Next (triple) around 730g
    Money no object but rider weight restriction Clavicula 440g cranks and BB here:http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=365

sputnik
    Free Member

756g for the crankset with rings. Not triple but on a race bike.

Offroading
    Free Member

The new Race Face Next SL is a very nice crank indeed, stiffer and lighter than XTR. Im hoping to pick one up in the next month.

If i was a few kg's lighter however the Clavicula would be mounted already! That thing sets the bar as far as im concerned.

UK-FLATLANDER

What about a Tune crank and BB, not sure of exact weight as theey are not sold complete but they are light.

Alb
    Free Member

There's nowt as stiff and as light as XTR

Dibbs
    Free Member

FSA K-Force light = 750g inc BB
    BB30 FSA K-Force light = 720g inc BB (but you will need a new frame) 🙄

racing_ralph
    Free Member

get a double you girl!

RepacK
    Free Member

FSA 750g
    Race Face SL 695g

However both are a sh1load of cash

trail_rat
    Free Member

on one were doing the kforce carbons for 159 quid …..

just a bit warey of them as there have been a few instances where the spiders sheared off

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, the FSA ones from On-One have got to be worth a look.

XTR were always the best comprimise IMO, but now they're so expensive I'm less sure.

THM Claviculas are nice, but they're £800+, which is slightly absurd!

Race Face have well documented problems, and are not known for making reliable light weight kit, their fitting method isn't great either, just gorilla the bolt on the crank and hope for the best…

Extralite E-Bones? Probably not as stiff, but light. The KCNCs are meant to be good.

And for a race bike, get a double! 26/40 or sommat should be plenty low enough!

clubber
    Free Member

JohnClimber – Member
    Cheers but I'm after a triple for a race bike

Unless you're doing races that include road and lots of very steep climbs then swap to a double and you'll save plenty of weight compared to the small weight savings/massive costs of the alternatives.

organic355
    Free Member

sputnik is that a giant XTC composite frame? looks similar to mine and I was also considering the Agilis crankset, did you get the oval chainrings and if so how do you find them? Any more pics of the full bike?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

As per clubber, most if not all Pro XC racers only use a double ring set up, 1×9 is also becoming popular.

The KCNC compact crankset is fantastic, I want one.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

The Tune gear is very light in comparison and you also have the back-up that they are very well made bits of kit.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I had Extralite e-Bones, couldn't detect any difference in stiffness between them and my other bike with XTs. Your tyres/wheels/frame are going to flex a hell of a lot more than a crank arm.

sputnik
    Free Member

Organic355, here is a pic of full bike. I do ride a XTC composite but the Storck is a mate's (from Oxford) I know from the racing. The rings are oval by the way but I can't comment on their performance.

njee20
    Free Member

The Tune gear is very light in comparison and you also have the back-up that they are very well made bits of kit

Back-up!? They're widely renowned to be shocking. It was good for a season when Zyro did it, but now it's back to dealing with Posh Bikes it's rather hit and miss. The cranks are a very old design, I wouldn't use them 8 years ago, I wouldn't use them now!

samuri
    Free Member

is it just the angle or are those cranks on the storck about a foot long!!??

KINGTUT
    Free Member

All that lightweight kit on the Storck yet it has lock ons and a Thomson stem..

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

i've been happily using the tune fastfoot cranks and bb for years.

what went wrong with them before?

i also run the hubs, stems, qr's and a fair few other bits without problem.

hepstanton

The Fifteen G triple looks right on the money – 711gm without BB, 780gm with BB.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Mine is fantastic. Cannondale SI Hollogram, 705g including bottom bracket, bearings, rings, arms, spider etc,

C

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Light weight crankset’ is closed to new replies.