Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Light coloured bikes and white cycle clothing! Why?
  • ajantom

I was up Haldon this morning, and saw a couple of blokes on white/pale blue bouncy bikes and both wearing white or very light coloured shorts/tops (+ one had a white full face) hanging around looking purposeful, but rather clean considering the conditions 😆

It does make me laugh 🙄 I really don’t get the fashion for white biking gear in the UK. Unless you have shares in Daz.

Militant_biker

Was anyone taking photos? When I have been out on photoshoots, wearing ‘normal’ MTB gear does a great job of making you blend into the background…

ajantom

Pretty sure they were there to ride/pose. No obvious photographer around anyway. They were stood at the top of a pretty tame piece of downhill as I whizzed past them, and still stood there when I cycled past them on the way back up.

aP
    Free Member

Your mistake was thinking they were wearing white cycle clothing, they weren’t.

mrmo
    Free Member

white bikes are fine, and whilst i do have white shorts and tops they only get used for dry road rides, too easy to get dirty and look a mess.

White seems to be cooler than black.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Bikes wash easy, my Pipedream is a very light silver, and it doesn’t bother me. Agree white clothing is a pain, I used to be in a club that had predominantly white top, and it was never truly clean after the first ride.

_tom_
    Free Member

White bikes (unless they’re road bikes) look tired and old very quickly as well, unless you’re cleaning it all the time.

mrmo
    Free Member

White bikes (unless they’re road bikes) look tired and old very quickly as well, unless you’re cleaning it all the time.

never noticed that, but i do tend to keep the bike clean as cleaning the bike means it lasts longer

JoB
    Free Member

what were you wearing, was it ‘never goes out of fashion’ black?

al2000

I used to have a lucky white riding top, which had to be thrown away as the blood wouldn’t wash out of it after a while.

nealglover
    Free Member

I clean my bike when it gets dirty, so it works better and lasts longer, so it makes no odds to me what colour it is really.
    (unless some colours are easier to get mud off ? 😀 )
    And I don’t really care if my biking gear doesn’t come totally clean when it’s washed, it will only get dirty again anyway. I just buy whatever colour is in the sale section at CRC/Wiggle etc.

rOcKeTdOg

could have been worse..

the can you spot my shorts ride by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

ajantom

what were you wearing, was it ‘never goes out of fashion’ black?

Black shorts and red North Face fleece combo.

True that bikes clean up whatever the colour, but I really think that white cycle gear is a bad idea for MTBing.

Bregante

I have a White full-face. All the best stormtroopers do.

_tom_
    Free Member

never noticed that, but i do tend to keep the bike clean as cleaning the bike means it lasts longer

Yeah I guess mine only ever gets a clean when its properly muddy, if its just splashed I won’t bother with a hose.. my old white trailstar looked pretty rubbish after a while! Goes all faded and a bit brownish.

I have a white/black full face as well and its gone the same way on the white bits.

vdubber67
    Free Member

White lycra goes better with the shaved leg, perma-tan XC look, and actually makes you faster. 🙂

gsp1984
    Free Member

Let people do/wear what they want, I’ve never understood all the dictatorness in all manner of hobbies with people stating what is acceptable and whats not, or stereotyping like ‘all the gear, but no idea’. Chill out and concentrate on you own life, I’m sure you’ll enjoy yourself more, and your blood pressure may drop too.

Although i will say black clothing is my choice, purely from a cleaning point of view… Then a light bike for when you need to be found lying in a ditch, in the wilderness, broken. Neon yellow works well for that.

Excuse the cheesy pose 😉 and gut…

ajantom

Never anything but chilled out 😉 and I do enjoy myself immensely, otherwise what’d be the point? I’m also not trying to dictate what or how people should ride. Just commenting on how unsuitable I think white gear is for UK conditions. That is all.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Light coloured bikes and white cycle clothing! Why?’ is closed to new replies.