Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Light but strong wheelset- recommendations
  • hora
    Free Member

Widish rims to avoid pinchflats.

Any recommendations? My King/321 rear wheel has been great but now I fancy something light but still pretty robust….yet special.

handyman153
    Free Member

American Classic wheels are definitely worth looking at.

I have got a pair of the MTB26's but there more of an XC wheelset. They do an all mountain wheelset which is light, fairly wide, and really robust.
    The hubs are the best part of them, lighter than hope, really good quality, and run soooooo smoothly.

In my opinion, definitely worth a look.

Cheers
    Josh,…

bol

Traversees special enough for you? I don't think there's much to touch them for lightness/strength compromise. I'm a heavy, clumsy rider, and they stand up well under me. Only way 1580g a set too. Maybe not niche or custom enough to fit the bill for some builds though I guess.

alfabus
    Free Member

<stock answer>hope hoops with stan's flow</stock answer>

Dave

devs
    Free Member

<stock answer>hope hoops with stan's flow</stock answer>

Tick.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I can vouch for Hope Pro II SP on ZTR's – I have used them for the Dyfi enduro last weekend and fairly rough descenting on dartmoor – sl flex on big stuff but otherwise spot on 🙂 I am around 77Kg – and there is a wieght limit on these 🙂

I guess a bit stronger go for flows but bit of extra weight.

rolymo
    Free Member

another vote for roval traversee. strongest wheelset ive owned, yet very light. over a years abuse in the lakes and scotland, not a dink or buckle.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Traverses are strong but not particularly stiff if that makes sense. I ran a set for 18 months and the remained true and in one piece but they were flexy as all hell, especially on landings and fast turns.

+1 for the stock answer but run them with Stans No Tubes for extra special light weight feel.

hora
    Free Member
    swallow
    Free Member

Ive had some spinergy xyclones for quite a while and found them to be pretty much indestructible. weightwise I think theyre ok too

hora
    Free Member
    Blower
    Free Member

Superstar

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Get a Hope Hoop with Mavic xc717s (and Pro 2 hub) then see how long you get sick of everyone telling you it should have been a Stan's 355 rim… 😆 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Stans flow with DT240s and Sapim Cxray spokes – a bit spendy though.

hora
    Free Member

Ok its looking like a Stan Flow on Pro3 (if I can find a rear one cheapy instock).

Ta guys.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

build stans flows onto the King hubs?

hora
    Free Member

The hub itself needs major work. Basically the shells fine. The rest needs renewing now (Its 7yrs old)

Flow Rim+King parts+labour = is it really that viable-territory.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I've got Pro2s on 819s. Light and strong.

younggeoff

How've you managed to shaft the internals of the King, strip and clean should be as good as new. I only have problem with the shells 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Freehub's chewn to bits, lots of play- I've left the play too long so its not been too kind to the ratchets

tron
    Free Member

EN521s are an ounce lighter than 321s. But flows are 2 ounces lighter than 521s.

hora
    Free Member

Are 819's quite narrow though? As Im heavy and like running low pressures- Ive always got on with 321's but not the likes of 721's or X719?

Carbis

Another vote for Stans on Hope Pro 2's…

If you are after the Hope Pro 3 SP-AM4 Stans Flow wheels, they are currently £306.98 for a pair at Winstanleys including rotors. They do tend to be 7-10 days though. Best deal I could find.

Ps I have 719s (same width as 819s) on one bike at the moment, I'm wanting to go for wider rims and I will probably go for 521s, as on a cost based decision Flows would be that bit too expensive for a rebuild.

njee20
    Free Member

Don't bother with the Pro 3, just get the Hoops on Flows.

MisterT

sharing a bit of learning regarding those HopePro3 SP specials from Hope, they are great until you break a spoke and then a right royal pain in the backside. the issue is that there are so few spokes (26 iifc) which means with one spoke gone, then the whole wheel buckles wildly and you can't even ride home. I've never had such a problem on builds with 32 holes, I've even ended a ride with 2 broken spokes and just an inch of sideways wobble.. by with a single broken spoke in my front wheel the rim goes wildly out of true such that the tyre (2.0 maxxis xc) touches the fork (SID team)and can't be ridden.

obviously, if you can ride without breaking spokes then they are great. (but I broke one last weekend @ Enduro6, and my mate did the same this weekend at Colne Valley challenge )

if you keep them for racing, and have a spare set incase, then I recommend them.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm in that case Its Pro2/Hoops with Flows.

Roval Traversee's are NOT strong in any way whatsoever. Expensive crap from my wallet stinging experience.

The front still vaguely resembles a hoop, but I've just replaced the pringle at the back with an EN521 on Hope Pro2.

chakaping
    Free Member

Traverses are strong but not particularly stiff if that makes sense.

I agree with this. They feel quite "soft" to ride.

It also means they lack a bit of acceleration compared to a similar weight Crossmax wheelset, for example.

zaskar
    Free Member

Mavic 719 rim is pretty light and stronger than a 717.

I use XTR hubs but don't ride DH or anything.

719 with some hubs of your choice? 20mm axel?

hora
    Free Member

I hefted a rear Hoops/DT EX500 tonight in Evans (EX500 is the 5.1 now). I was pleasantly surprised (obviously pre-cassette).

Plus : http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/proiidt-ex-51-9841

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I'm sure I've read a few comments on hear about the DT5.1 being surprisingly soft and easily dinged compared to similar size rims.

If you want strong, light and wide then hope hoop flows fit the bill as good as anything. Seem they can be had for around £270 ish, which considering the price of flow rims alone, is a cracking deal.

Anthony
    Free Member

The Pro3 AM4's have 32 spokes. The XC3 (24 spoke) version isn't available with Flows as it's a lightweight wheelset.

At £306 for the pair they work out cheaper than the Pro2 Hoops if your looking at buying rotors too.

hora
    Free Member

I'm sure I've read a few comments on hear about the DT5.1 being surprisingly soft and easily dinged compared to similar size rims.

I've run a 5.1 on the front for eons! No problems at all.

Will keep a lookout for a flows or 5.1 (pro2) rear only on deal/offer. Thanks guys 🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

Pro IIs on a Stans Arch rim. Very strong and very light weight (for intended use).

or

Pro IIs on a Flow rim.

I use both and they are very good.

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

Pro IIs / Stans flow get the thumbs up from me

DT EX1750 even better with the lovely 240s hubs but pricey

Northwind

"TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Roval Traversee's are NOT strong in any way whatsoever. Expensive crap from my wallet stinging experience."

What a load of balls 😛 I stuck a pair on a hardtail and rode inexpertly down aonach mor 4 times, then managed to break a spoke by hanging up a double on the world cup 4X track. So after discovering they didn't have my size in the shop I just kept riding, 5 more goes, and a few laps of the world cup XC, then home- and the wheel didn't even lose true. Tough as old boots these things, for their skinny weight.

That said, the big bike has Flows on Pro 2s, which seem a perfect combination of weight, strength and price for me.

Northwind – Member
    "TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Roval Traversee's are NOT strong in any way whatsoever. Expensive crap from my wallet stinging experience."

What a load of balls

Smiley noted, but excuse me…… I've shagged these wheels in 4 months riding. The pic below shows one of 3 similar dings. There's no point bending it out again as the wheel has flat spotted, resulting in loose spokes that can't be tensioned.

Don't start giving me any crap about tyre pressure or riding style – I've been riding long enough to know if kit is any good or not, or whether I have my bike set up right. In over 15 years mtb'ing I've had to replace one rim due to damage and that was on a 3' drop to flat on a HT. The only other time I've replaced them is due to rim brakes wearing through after years of use.

My view is shared by my lbs wheel builder, who is very well respected, is a multiple Polaris winner, Australian Polaris winner and Iditarod competitor (posting a top 10 finish). He's encountered more than one set with problems. They may be a decent XC wheelset, but they are not fit for 'all mountain' riding.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Light but strong wheelset- recommendations’ is closed to new replies.