Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • njee20
    Free Member

I used DT Swiss ones and they were fine.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Cool, thanks njee.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I measured the 35mm 29er ERD as 584mm when ours arrived last week. Waiting on spokes now we’ve ordered them.

First impressions were nicely finished and laterally very stiff.

njee20
    Free Member

I was really impressed when I went to stress mine during building – put the hub on the floor leant on the rim and… nothing. No movement, no spokes unwinding slightly.

bigjim

Well it seems I have the customs charge letter but no parcel, whatever that means?!

njee20
    Free Member

That you have to pay the charges before they release the parcel… What else do you expect?

proutster
    Free Member

By the way, just changed to summer tyres on my LB rims and the combination of the deep rims and wider profile on the tyres means that the ratchet straps on the wheel trays of my bike-rack won’t now lock in place.

Bungee straps have now been bought, small price to pay for the extra volume / lightness / stiffness.

2.3″ Butcher Control on the front and 2.3″ Purgatory Control on the rear btw.

Northwind – enjoy the wait, that’ll teach you to gloat at my waiting 😉

Northwind

proutster – Member

Northwind – enjoy the wait, that’ll teach you to gloat at my waiting

I REGRET NOTHING!!1!

proutster
    Free Member

Northwind
    I REGRET NOTHING!!1!

😆

Apart from having an unreliable car? You missed out on a cracking trip up Snowdon and then at Antur Stiniog!!

Might have to organise a trip up to Scotland later in the year to visit Fort William, Glentress and Innerleithen – you up for guiding duties?

bigjim

That you have to pay the charges before they release the parcel… What else do you expect?

Its been the other way round when I’ve bought stuff from overseas before, received the package then a customs charge slip. That was from the US though.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough! No, I got a slip like the “we tried to deliver your parcel”, but it said “give us monies”, which I did, then I got one saying “we tried to deliver your parcel”.

Northwind

proutster – Member

Might have to organise a trip up to Scotland later in the year to visit Fort William, Glentress and Innerleithen – you up for guiding duties?

Yeah, defo… Would have still made it down if they’d sent me a good injector first time but only got the replacement replacement on the friday before 🙁 Annoyed.

kimbers

anyone know actual ERD for 35mm 659b hookless?

jimification
    Free Member

Scienceofficer: Thanks. The drawing I found online quotes 589mm for ERD of the 29er/35mm. Did you include the nipple heads?

I always just googled for spoke lengths ghetto style before but I’ve found, with ali nips especially, the spokes have to be bang on (if you don’t want the nipple heads to fail later due to not being supported by the spoke) so did some looking up on correct ERD measurement…I’m sure everyone except me does it properly but just found this vid and might be helpful in case anyone doesn’t know:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVpW3Kd1HgI[/video]

Then you can input your ERD value here to find correct spoke length: http://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/Calculator.aspx

bigjim

what nipple lengths are people using? LB seem to use 14mm for their own builds.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Jim, you’re right, I forgot to include the nipple heads. Factoring them in, it seems the quoted ERD for the 29er 35mm is actually bang on.

jimification
    Free Member

Ah cool, nice that that works out…Including the nipple heads in the ERD measurement didn’t make sense to me at first but of course, it’s where the spoke ends come to that is what you want since ideally they would end exactly flush with the outer face of the nipple head.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got about 2-3mm of threads sticking out of my 12mm nips, which is odd if the quoted ERDs are appearing correct, perhaps it’s the info American Classic supply that’s off 😕

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You don’t have the 35mm rims do you njee? Perhaps measured by a different person more accurately this time round?

njee20
    Free Member

Ah, no, I don’t.

I didn’t measure at all – for reasons of not wanting to wait another week or so for spokes I just went on quoted ERD & hub dimensions!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s precisely this reason I waited, only to measure it wrong in my excitement!

Northwind

I’m just going to throw mine at steve deas, say “make wheels” and leg it. If I have any more involvement in the process I’ll probably ruin it all.

jimification
    Free Member

Njee: are your spoke threads showing below the nipples? (ie: are the spokes a bit too short? Do they go into the nipple head ok?)

bigjim

just picked mine up, very impressed with them, size to weight just doesn’t compute. excellent finish.

davosaurusrex

Mine arrived today, only shipped on Tuesday! No customs note, do they sometimes arrive later or have I been lucky? Look smashing, will weigh them once the kids have gone to sleep. As my 4 year old boy is currently hanging upside down out of his bed and asking how you make beer and do giants have birthdays etc it could be a while. I remember going out on Friday evenings and getting on it…..

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If the courier has left them and they’ve come by Parcel Force then you’ve probably escaped it, mine have always come will a bill 1st then delivery once paid. Hope my new pair slide through too 😉

davosaurusrex

Bang tidy! Rims weigh 416 and 418g, pleased with that too

Northwind

Just paid my customs, £27.31, not too shabby. Still annoying that it’s 50% handling fee, despite the piss-poor service.

neil853
    Free Member

Can’t wait for mine to arrive! Thinking about hubs now, proII’s or something exotic…..

goodgrief
    Free Member

My 650b rims measured 554 erd although I had some spoke protrusion so I could have probably used 552 in the calculator.

davosaurusrex

If it’s any consolation my rims were handed to customs at 2pm yesterday and released at 8pm. I also appear to have dodged paying any duty or handling, did I mention that bit? Ah, right.

As an aside my mates who are somewhat less confident about Chinese carbon products than myself think they’ll shatter into a million tiny shards at high speed. As I stagger about picking up bits of broken bike and teeth they expect me to find a couple of small pieces of paper that were concealed inside the rims in the style of fortune cookies. These will read “Buy cheap buy twice” and “A fool and his money are soon parted”.

davosaurusrex

I’m going for pro 2s – fancy rims, reliable hubs. Supercomp spokes and DT brass nipples

Northwind

Mine are going on DT240s- got a set of wheels that I’ll break up for the hubs (as DTs cost ridiculous amounts new, but seem to sell used pretty cheaply). Can’t decide on spokes, was going to go supercomps but d-lights or cx-rays are tempting…

neil853
    Free Member

I’d like 240’s as well but couldn’t find any second hand?

Northwind

Mine are coming out of a set of EX1750s that I got for a good price a while back. PS, anyone want to buy some tin rims?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Looks like our sultan builds are still pretty similar Dave. That’s exactly how I’m building mine up too.

davosaurusrex

Great minds think alike SO, or more likely two fools one thought as they say in Germany! Got your Pikes yet?

bigjim

these are going on pro 2 evos with the 40 tooth thing. haven’t decided on spokes but nothing fancy, think I can get cheap sapims.

neil853
    Free Member

Can a std proII be upgraded to the 40t thing?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

No, they can’t be altered.

I’m building my 29 hookless on Pro 2 evo with DT Revolution from Rose Bike, should be a nice light build.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.