Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • wwaswas

I just used a couple of wraps of stans yellow tape to cover the spoke holes on my 65mm rims. They’ve been fine and the rim bed is a good profile for running tubeless so the tape doesn’t need to go right to the bead.

DT78
    Free Member

Good to hear about the warranty support, mine are still going strong and I’m thinking about a second set. I’ve used gorilla tape for tubeless to without any problems.

Northwind

Ells – Member

Anybody got any pointers on which tubeless rim strips to use in the 38mm wide 29″ rims?

Don’t stress too much about it- basically once the rim gets wide, you can just use much narrower tape than the rim. It’s only really an issue on a narrow rim. Reason being, if the tape doesn’t reach the sides but does come out of the well, the tyre’ll push it off when you change tyres. But if it’s all down in the well, it’s safe.

I used roval blue tape in mine, because I have loads of it. Gorilla tape seems just as good.

njee20
    Free Member

Gorilla tape is good Until you have to remove it…

Ells
    Free Member

Thanks for the info on the tubeless… are you just using the 1″ wide gorilla tape?

mattyfez

Anyone got experience of the blue schwalbe rim tape, seems thin and light which would suit me.. Currently using standard velox tape which seems quite chunky and my tyres are a tight fit so it gets pushed about if I’m not careful when changing tyres..

kimbers

I use one wrap of the wtb yellow 30mm tape on my 38mm rims, just stuck a new wtb vigilante on there and can’t wait to get out and ride on them

Northwind

mattyfez – Member

Anyone got experience of the blue schwalbe rim tape, seems thin and light which would suit me..

Even if you’re not doing tubeless, use tubeless tape- it’s lighter than any oldschool rim tape. Only really makes any practical difference if you need to replace a spoke

mattyfez

I’m running folding schwalbe ron/ralph 2.1 26er they are an arse to put on if new tyres, that’s with a 27mm internal width.

They loosen up though once stretched on lol! But you will say swear words if the tyres are new.

DT78
    Free Member

I can gorilla tape might be a pain to remove but can’t imagine why you would want to? Mine have been perfect for 18months now (been through about 5 tyres)

Northwind

DT78 – Member

I can gorilla tape might be a pain to remove but can’t imagine why you would want to?

Bust a spoke, need to get to a spoke hole. Though, if you’re a bodger you can just remove a small area to get to that spoke then patch it.

variflex
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether the 38mm rims would fit in the back of a Spec Enduro 2015 29er frame?

njee20
    Free Member

The rim will, it’ll depend more on the tyre. If you’re on the limit with a 25mm rim that same tyre may well not fit.

MSP

I am running the 38mm rims on a spesh enduro 29er currently have hans dampf/magic mary 2.35 on, and previously had mountain king 2.4’s on with absolutely no problems.

variflex
    Free Member

Super, Cheers MSP.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I should probably read the entire thread… but anyone recommend a decent, light, not too expensive hub for a XC build? Default would be DT240 but they are a bit pricey.

sq225917
    Free Member

I’m not one for mentioning work brand stuff, but the EL Guapo /Selcof Pro hubs are bloody good for the money. Jap stainless bearings, 72POE, very good sealing all round and lighter than Hope (just).

njee20
    Free Member

DT350 mrblobby?

superfli
    Free Member

Superstar Switch Ultra-Lite front is nice and light. Got one on mine and its been fine so far and only £40 http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/switch-ultra-lite-front-hub.htm

I’d get the Switch Ultra for rear. About same weight as Hope Pro 2 evo.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just seen that polish seller on ebay. Might do 240’s after all.

Superstar ones just rebranded Novatec?

Mbnut
    Free Member

Any feedback on the Novatech hubs?

Are they the same as Superstar Tesla? If so i’ll opt for something else as I have nowt but issues with the freehub teeth snapping off and damaging the hub body… 3 hubs so far so need another option.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Nova tech hubs. Yeah I had some on my last bike they were branded as Ibis and came fitted as OE on Some of their bikes. Think they were the same as superstar switch. I had no problems with the set I had bearings lasted well.

On to the LB wheels thread. Mine are in order email from Nancy today one is built the other will be done soon.

Spec is 38mm all mountain rims 27.5 on CK hubs.
    The hubs I have had for yonks and sent them to LB for them to build onto their rims. Looking forward to a nice wheelset arriving.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Are there no qualified wheel builders in this country?

nonk
    Free Member

Qualified ?
    Would you trust the bit of paper anyway ?
    Ask about find the best one and crack on

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Here’s my reasoning.
    I asked LB for a quote to supply DT spokes and build the wheels. They quoted less than I could by the spokes for in the UK or Germany from Rose etc.
    The other big plus was that they put a lot of emphasis on correct spoke tension and the risk of over tensioning spokes.
    Due to the stiffness of the rims it’s easy to get uneven spoke tension and the wheel still be straight.
    My thoughts were, that I was spending a few quid and thought it was probably a good idea to get them to build as they have the most experience with carbon rims. Rather than be the first customer to send a set to be assembled at LBS.
    Also if I have a warranty issue LB will possibly feel more sympathetic if they built the wheels.
    It was to me, the most cost effective way to own a very nice wheelset

mattyfez

Pro tip, if you buy from LB fully built, go with spokes that are easily available, I’ve just had an own fault disaster, hangar snapped sending the mech into the wheel, 7 snapped spokes. The pillar aero spokes are expensive and hard to find in the UK, so go with dt spoke if possible, can’t fault the LB service though! Very happy with the rims.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Id agree with that, they offered me pillar or DT. After struggling to get mavic spokes in small numbers before for ST wheels, I decided to keep it simple and have DT. They also agreed to send me 3 spare spokes for each wheel.

njee20
    Free Member

You can have half Pillar and half DT if you want. Chuck in a single Sapim and ACI too for good measure! Mavic et al are totally different.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Speaking of spokes for a light XC wheelset. Much benefit in going for bladed (like CX-Ray) over round (like Revs)?

MSP

I have just gone bladed on my second LB wheelset, I did it for the aesthetics but there is supposedly some advantage in stiffness under braking/drive. The guy who builds my wheels also likes building with them as he can stop the twisting when winding up the spoke tension.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Speaking of spokes for a light XC wheelset. Much benefit in going for bladed (like CX-Ray) over round (like Revs)?

Depends on the ‘blade’, some are aero, some are just squashed and offer no aero advantage over a normal butted spoke, but weigh more (because they’re not butted).

Somewhere (google it) there’s some windtunnel/CFD work of a whole lot of spokes. IIRC all bar the most expensive bladed spokes were worse or no better than than the butted spokes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Depends on the ‘blade’, some are aero, some are just squashed and offer no aero advantage over a normal butted spoke, but weigh more (because they’re not butted).

I’d probably go cx-ray or aerolite, i think they are butted spokes that are then flattened. I think DT Swiss claim the flattening actually strengthens the spoke.

Somewhere (google it) there’s some windtunnel/CFD work of a whole lot of spokes. IIRC all bar the most expensive bladed spokes were worse or no better than than the butted spokes.

I’ll try and dig that out. Wonder if there’s much benefit in rotational resistance?

oldnick

Do these rims come with staggered spoke holes and/or angled drilling?

I’m about to order a pair of 26″x33mm all mountain hookless rims and this question suddenly occurred to me and is kinda holding me back.

Alternatively do I need to think less and just order? 😯

wwaswas

When I bought fat bike rims there was a choice – what does their site say?

Although my 35mm alu rims have standard drilling.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Mine have arrived. They lol very nice. Quality looks good, finish is really nice. Very well packaged let’s hope the reliability is as good and all will be well

oldnick

wwaswas – Member
    When I bought fat bike rims there was a choice – what does their site say?

Although my 35mm alu rims have standard drilling.

I can’t see anything on their site, plus I reckoned it would be quicker to ask on here…

fathomer

Any advice on spokes?

Looking at getting a set of the 650 hookless rims built on to DT Swiss hubs and not sure what spokes to go for. The wheels will be used for a bit of everything but mainly trail riding in the Peak District etc.

Was thinking DT Super Comp? Any other suggestions?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I went for the DT spokes. Available from most bikes shops the alternative were pillar aero (I think) there not as easy to get hold of if you damage a few.

Tracey

Got my pair built with DT Swiss spokes and Hope hubs by 18 Bikes who did a first class job. Just bought another set of rims in Black Friday sale so will be having these built up the same.

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.