Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • P20

Cheers njee

njee20
    Free Member

Spokes won’t break because they’re a bit too short.

You know what I mean, more likely to be the (alu) nipples breaking, point was still the same.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve had wheels similarly built go on for years. Especially under a lwt like you 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

so what does each rim work out at £127 excluding import duty? (for the $170 rim)

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve had wheels similarly built go on for years. Especially under a lwt like you

Aye, sure they’ll be fine, hence why I proceeded with the build 🙂

so what does each rim work out at £127 excluding import duty? (for the $170 rim)

That’s gonna depend on the exchange rate… Google reckons £101 currently.

trickydisco
    Free Member

That’s gonna depend on the exchange rate… Google reckons £101 currently.

I was adding on the delivery ($43)

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

Are folk successfully running these tubeless? Does it require more than just yellow tape? I appreciate that this can vary with tyre brands – I tend to run Maxxis Minion EXO 2.5, so any information about compatibility with Maxxis tyres would be appreciated.

Reading on mtbr.com it sounds like a lot of people were using Bontrager rim stips, I’m not sure how well this would work on these wider rims.

julians
    Free Member

Im using stans downhill rim strips on mine, the narrower strips dont fit. they went up really easy, which is more than can be said for fitting the tyre itself, it was pretty tight.

bigjim

The newer hookless rims are listed there too.

Hmm I don’t see the 26″ ones. How much is the paypal fee?

Northwind

Paypal fee is $13.65. But the shipping’s $3 more expensive so it’s about £6 more to buy off their website than from ebay. There’s hookless 29ers I see but not 26ers because we’re obsolete and pointless.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Messages on their website say the 26 hookless went into manufacturing at the end of feb and they are already taking orders so they should be up soon…

Northwind

Yeah, they’re available, just not yet fully listed. Just ordered mine! See if I can get them built before Proutster.

proutster
    Free Member

Northwind
    Yeah, they’re available, just not yet fully listed. Just ordered mine! See if I can get them built before Proutster.

Pretty good chance – still “awaiting customs clearance” 😥

tonyg2003

Just got an update for Light Bicycle. Mine are still waiting to be built 🙁 At least the weather will be a bit better when they arrive.

Gee76
    Free Member

It appears mine have finally set off too… Wohoo. It’s only been about three weeks since ordering but I did press for a lighter batch and 28 holes.

Almost getting excited!!!

Gee76
    Free Member

MB ran my last set fine with yellow tape. Went up a treat. Will have to experiment with the new uns I guess, should b feet!

Northwind

proutster – Member

Pretty good chance – still “awaiting customs clearance”

I’ll bring mine down in April, you can see what you could have won

messiah
    Free Member

My new carbon rims have been dispatched 🙂

waldo1
    Free Member

I’m waiting on a set to be sent to finish my enduro.
    29er, 35mm hookless on hope hubs.
    I initially wanted some derbys but he’s out of stock atm.
    I did ask if they ccould make them with a sealed rim bed so they’d be fully UST but was told that the rim depth wont allow for this.
    So I’m guessing stans dh tape is the one to use?

julians
    Free Member

stans DH strips work fine on the 33mm rims, I guess they’ll also be fine on the 35mm rims, but havent tried it.

proutster
    Free Member

Northwind

I’ll bring mine down in April, you can see what you could have won

Stop rubbing it in, still awaiting customs clearance – could be up to 7 days, so they’ve just said 🙁

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Just as a quick note the 33mm wide rims are still available in both ‘hooked’ and ‘hoodless’ rim profiles so be sure to specify when ordering if doing it through the LB website as they only had the clincher type up when I order and I had to go back an specify I wanted Hookless as they are a different part number.

bigjim

think I’m going to do it… hookless…. 8)

collostomy
    Free Member

Very interested in a pair of these for my 29er hardtail for XC use… Which rims would be the recommendations of the collective?

njee20
    Free Member

I’d get (rather I got) the Light Hookless jobbies

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Our group has just ordered 6 of these rims. Interesting comments on the mis-quoted ERDs. Think I will hold off getting spokes until I can measure them myself.

sq225917
    Free Member

and

more at http://www.flickr.com/photos/59684834@N08/sets/72157638740866764/

The ERD was spot on on mine, built up with Cx-rays and Hopes, 20 & 142 (40t). They weigh the same as my Crossmax SX did but I’ll warrant they are stronger and will hold true for longer. And yes my tyre profile is now about 5mm wider. They hold a lot more at steper lean angles than they used to do.

J273
    Free Member

@waldo1 Do you have a link to the ones you ordered ?

Thanks

bigjim

If those who built up 33mm 26″ on Hope hubs could post their spoke lengths that would be great, I’ll measure anyway but would be good to have a reference. Also what length nips are people using?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Wow.. They look like fat bike tyres!

waldo1
    Free Member

@J273 No link sorry.
    I just emailed Carolin with my specification and everything was a ‘go’, apart from the tubless rim bed. Its doable on the 26, 33mm but not these 29, 35mm.

I’m being told by my lbs that ENVE tubless tape is basically gorilla tape~printed, and to use This….

One thing i didn’t think about when ordering is straight pull or j bend hubs.
    Apparently straight pull are stiffer for 29.
    Have i missed out by buying j bend?

honourablegeorge

sq225917 – bike looks fantastic.

What spoke lengths did you use?

Are CX-Rays tougher than DT Revolutions?

njee20
    Free Member

They have a higher fatigue strength yes.

If you use with alu nips that just means that nipples break instead of spokes, with the same net effect (experience talking).

Unless you break a lot of spokes I’d get (have got) Revs.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Tonka Toy!

They look super Phat.

honourablegeorge

I’m wary of Revs at my weight (about 100kg)

Wouldn’t use Alu nipples – do you have to use them on CX Rays?

aracer
    Free Member

How does the tyre width come up on the 35mm hookless rims compared to a Flow EX?

aracer
    Free Member

No reason not to use brass nipples with CX-Rays. Then again, no real advantage to them over Revs on a mountain bike – they’re effectively the same thickness and hence the same stiffness, so will build up just as strong a wheel. In theory CX-Rays have better fatigue strength as njee says, but in reality that shouldn’t be an issue with a well built wheel. If you’re wary of Revs because of your weight (they will build a less stiff and less strong wheel than DT Comp or Sapim Race) then exactly the same issues apply to CX-Rays.

daveh
    Free Member

Can anyone explain hookless to me? How does the tyre stay on? Do you need proper rim strips? Do you need proper UST tyres?

gee
    Free Member

Their fat bike rims are nearly ready now.

90mm, double wall, 650g. Shame they aren’t 550g or so.

Square profile.

twonks

Thinking about a set of these for a SC Superlight to replace Hope Hoops with Arch EX rims.

The main reason is that I want to put the Hopes onto a HT build and as the FS is the main bike it is getting an ‘upgrade’ if they are deemed to be so.

I’m a little worried as I am 110KG and although don’t ride DH or jump around, I do hit things quite hard occasionally (mainly through too much speed as against talent ;o) )

The Stans rims are coping fine so I think the LB rims should be ok, but I’d be interested to hear peoples thoughts before I press the buy button.

Am thinking of the 33mm hookless with their spokes to build up onto a spare pair of Pro 2 hubs in my parts bag.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.