Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • life cycles..opinions??
  • transporter13
    Free Member

watched it last night..

cinematography was excellent..but..there wasnt enough riding 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

Anyone got the bluray and if so, any good/worth the extra over normal dvd?

druidh
    Free Member

I watched the first 30 seconds and just about nodded off.

grim168
    Free Member

Just watching it from youtube and like it. Want to see it at its best so am definitley buying it on bluray. There is more than just riding bikes which I like and the music is good.

dreednya

Exactly, seemed to be a bit deeper than simply riding bikes. I thoroughly enjoyed it for that reason

transporter13
    Free Member

i know that its not just about the riding…but it just seemed a bit too concentrated on…ooh.. i can see a spiders web..lets zoom in….was waiting for attenbrough to chip in at some point

Urchinboy
    Free Member

Just bought a copy off US iTunes. It is VERY pretty, but it doesn’t really make me want to go riding in quite the same way Roam or Seasons did when I first saw them.

Seems like they got very into all the cool stuff a RED cam will do, and lost something along the way. Feels like I’m watching a very long advert. It’s a bit anonymous too. I know who the riders are but they never speak or appear much from behind their goggles.

And that voiceover is ludicrously pretentious.

It’s upped the bar on production value though, really beautiful.

PeteG55
    Free Member

I’d agree with pretty much everything said above. Its fantastic, looks amazing, it really is art and not like any bike film before, but it didn’t make me want to grab my bike and leg it out the door. Probably a good thing with current conditions.

JCL
    Free Member

It’s hardly from a UK perspective so I can see why it wouldn’t be well received there. IMO it’s a masterpiece.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Agree with JCL, if it had been a bit less arty and with more riding then it would be another collective and i have 3 of those films.
    The first section on the freshly cut trails makes me really want to ride my bike.

ahwiles
    Free Member

liked it a lot.

yes it’s a bit naff (life is a river…).

but i liked that i didn’t really know who the riders where, yes it could have been Matt Hunter, but it could have been one of my mates.

i liked that the filming/editing was done in a way that the size of the jumps was disguised – they might have been huge, they might have been modest. they were presented in a way that suggests size doesn’t matter.

i liked that i often couldn’t really identify the bikes – i’m a bike geek, i can identify a bike from it’s smell, and often i was left guessing.

and no bloody thrash metal, the soundtrack was very good.

steveh

I’m also in the pretty but not great club. It’s 46 mins long and 8 minutes before anyone gets on a bike! I think they got a bit too excited about the HD stuff and making it arty and forgot that bike films are generally all about the riding.

thomthumb
    Free Member

overall i liked it. although i appreciate the comments there was a lot of salo-mo, the narration was cheesy and the season fades seemed like ‘seasons’.

the bit i didn’t like: the jumps in the cornfield; were they there or was the corn field cgi’d in later?

also watching jumping, for me, is not about the trick done between lip and landing, which was all we got to see, but the flow through a set, this we did not get to see.

all of my opinions are marred by the fact that i couldn’t sit in the seat comfortably and it made me grumpy!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

grim168 – Just watching it from youtube and like it

Link please. cannae find it.

tovey
    Free Member

Yeah it looked good and they’ve raised the bar with respect to production but it was way too short, not enough riding, too much filler, boring soundtrack and over hyped. Dust and Bones on the other hand is awesome and totally inspirational.

wl
    Free Member

Cupid Stunt – haven’t you got better things to do than watch bike vids? Like working on some fresh jokes about the size of my head, ready for next summer. Hope you’re well. Call you soon, unless you beat me to it.

Haven’t seen this film yet, but I hope it’s not full of teenage freaks in skinny jeans doing backflips. Dull.

chvck
    Free Member

I enjoyed life cycles, I thought that it was more of an art showcase featuring bikes but that’s fine with me. I really liked the cinematography and the soundtrack, all in all I thought it was a great film.

That said, I’m not so sure it would have been so good if I hadn’t watched Vast just before it. I reckon that the 2 films complimented each other really well. Vast had loads of riding and I got my fill of watching people ride bikes and then Life Cycles was something different so kept me interested too.

Andituk
    Free Member

I loved it, but its not a riding film. But then, there are a million and one of those, full of teenage kids shouting gnarly and doing backflips, which is great, but its nice to see something different too.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Boring, and too much blah blah blah, then the riding was OK.
    I didn’t like the transitions between the seasons, looked very CGI to me (mainly going into snow). Some clips were pretty and it is a step up to most bike films. Still didn’t get me anywhere near as hyped up to ride as the Brendon Fairclough section in Follow Me.

The best bit for me was watching the mechanic at work, I’d let him work on my bike!!

ahwiles
    Free Member

… Dust and Bones … is awesome and totally inspirational.

agreed.

clubby

It’s true that there should have been more riding or less filler, but I only paid $8.99 for HD copy on US iTunes so I’m happy with it. Not sure if I’d be happy if I coughed up £20 for dvd or blu ray though.
    I loved the slo mo, especially the way the riders were changing direction in between the berms, and when one rider’s bar was inches from the ground. It made a nice change from all the vids that are all spins and flips. It’s getting to the stage where the tricks are technically amazing but have no style or flow.
    That said, I bought NWD 10 at the same time and thought it was brilliant. No that impressed with the much hyped “hell barge” but the rest was great. A big improvement over other NWDs.

_tom_
    Free Member

Just watched the trailer for Dust & Bones.. The Bronx is the soundtrack for the trailer, sounds like my kind of film already 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘life cycles..opinions??’ is closed to new replies.