Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Letters after your name – do you?
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

I am qualified in a few things but never but put them after my name, on a business card I suppose in the right circumstances its fine.. but in our line of work (engineering) you see it more and more with new graduates with a whole list of letters after their name in the signature of emails. I’ll rub some people up the wrong way but we’ve had people come onto us and in the end I know far more than them and they are far more qualified ‘on paper’ than me… quite scary.

Some of the older gaurd in here go mad when they see all these letters!

I just think its dangerous willy waving..

Discuss

LoCo
    Free Member

Never have done, neither have any of my (very well qualified) friends either

anagallis_arvensis

Dr anagallis_arvensis BSc(hons), MRes, PhD agrees with you

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Some people at my work do… they are generally regarded as being not very good at their job.

One has even added after their MBA “(Oxf)”… but declined to add Brookes.

Dobbo

Dobbo CSE Art(B) says no.

cynic-al
    Free Member

For bell-ends only IMO

Cynic-al, BSc (Hons), LLB, Dip. Legal Practice

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Al – I thought you had your EFBL?

Stoner
    Free Member

One has even added after their MBA “(Oxf)”… but declined to add Brookes

that’s particularly cockish.

I have some letters after my name, but it’s to indicate that I have to operate under professionally defined guidelines even though I dont do a commonplace activity for my profession. it’s also to give the indication that I carry PI cover which is mandatory for my profession.

nedrapier

There’s an industry standard qualification that most people who have it, use it. I do too, on bus. cards and email sigs, but don’t bother with the BSc (Hons)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, pointless, unless you find t.w.u.n.t an interesting addition to your surname.
    (I expect a ban for that)

yossarian
    Free Member

No never do. I find it embarrassing when people do it. I’m far more interested in what people say than what they studied 10 years ago.

Yossarian, space ranger, shark wrestler & keyboard warrior.

finbar
    Free Member

Bronze Swimming certificate.

Actually touch wood i’ll be a Dr soon (my viva is at the end of September), and i’ll be using that whether people think it makes me look a c0ck or not.

bigG
    Free Member

When I come across people who use letters after their name I start to add CPT (I achieved it so I’m allowed to use the letters after all) to my email signature when I reply. Usually takes them a little while for them to ask what it stands for and when they are told they soon stop using their own annoying habit.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers for the replies, we were discussing it earlier, the whole psychology of it fascinates one guy in here, hes about to retire and he says it’s all to do with technology…

neallyman
    Free Member

Yip. Do it in professional/work related circumstances only (emails, business cards etc).

In my line employer’s generally insist on it so as to maintain a professional image, give clients’ confidence in what they are paying for and show that I have the right academic and professional qualification to do my job. Guess others will be different.

GrahamS

Nope, looks ****. but I do know of places that insist their staff do this!

GrahamS, BSc(Hons) Swimming(100m)

Mattie_H
    Free Member

No. It makes you look like a try-hard.

Dr Mattie_H, BA, PhD, FRHistS

Point made.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I put mine BEng (Hons) on my business cards as it is a company standard, but then I can’t remember the last time I handed one out. They also aren’t much use I’m normally located in a client office so the phone number and e-mail address are wrong.

Job title and contact details only in the e-mail signature.

oddjob
    Free Member

I never use mine, but I can understand that in some circumstances it is appropriate.

Or if you have one of the qualifications from Imperial college (I forget which) that entitles you to write LImp Dic after your name, then it would be churlish not to 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

i think it’s crass and pointless.

I’m far more proud of the numerous attractive women i’ve charmed/coerced into bed over the years, perhaps I should put little pics of them after my name instead? 😆

MrGrim

MrGrim ECDL agrees.

I had a guy working in IT who’s email signature was:

Joe Bloggs
    BA (Hons) History

Bad enough adding letters. Worse if it’s nothing to do with your profession.

alpin
    Free Member

here in germany it is the norm.

the GF had professors at her uni that insisted on being referred to as Dr. Fritz as opposed to Herr Fritz or simply Norman.

you’ll see for example: Dr. Dr. Fritz Dpl. Ing. PhD. BsC. on someones letter box.

people here love having letters after thier name and they are carried as some sort of status symbol and show other that they have an “education”, whatever that means….

rkk01
    Free Member

Depends on your line of work / employer.

I currently do, but at various times in the past, haven’t.

If you have professional quals like C.Eng then it is generally advantageous to use them

monkey_boy
    Free Member

funnily enough just had an email…

NAME HERE Beng(Hons) DIS AMIMechE

RealMan
    Free Member

When I come across people who use letters after their name I start to add CPT (I achieved it so I’m allowed to use the letters after all) to my email signature when I reply. Usually takes them a little while for them to ask what it stands for and when they are told they soon stop using their own annoying habit.

Go on then, what does it mean?

TimP
    Free Member

On business cards only, not on emails. Looks a bit weird though as I have a very short name and quite a lot of letters
    TimP
    BEng(hons) CEng MIStructE

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d say no but mine is only a BEng (Hons) and not overly relevant to my field. Looking to change roles and go for CEng, not sure I’d use it then. As for DR, are you thinking of just being Dr Onzadog or (Phd) on the end?

Did have some correspondance with a guy late last year who had over 20 letters after his name. I tried calling him and got his answer phone which was in english and I think, esperanto!

I have to say, I was guilty of prejudging that individual!

rkk01
    Free Member

CPT – Cone Penetrometer Test

i.e. how far you can insert a cone into something with a known amount of effort 😯

uplink
    Free Member

It’s those that put letters in the middle of their names to that make me think ‘pretentious prat’

We had one [who actually was a pretentious prat]

Phillip C. Rolfe Abc123 (Hons) kIsMy arS

Or something like that

rkk01
    Free Member

rkk01 BSc MSc CGeol FGS CEng IoM3 SiLC

Could add an MCSM in there as well, but don’t…

finbar
    Free Member

I’d go for plain ol’ Dr finbar not Dr finbar (PhD). I’ve probably jinxed it now and will fail.

LoCo
    Free Member

Would have gone for a PhD if they’d been running the course, would have quite liked to be a Doctor of Motorcycle engineering 😀

GrahamS

Looks a bit weird though as I have a very short name and quite a lot of letters

Even more so if you happen to be called Beng Hons

joao3v16
    Free Member

Putting letters after their name is useful for telling the rest of us who the c0cks are

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Do you not think it hugely depends on the your situation, work environment etc? I wouldn’t bother, firstly a I “only” have a BA Hons, firstly everyone has once, secondly I have used my field since I graduated so would no longer have much of a clue if someone asked me and three its’ completely pointless as it was Psycholinguistics degree and being old bill that’s silly!
    To be fair though Mr MC has a PhD I use Dr on official paperwork for him, it’s amazing how differently you get treated when there is “Dr” on your bank statemetns, wrong I know but he worked his butt off for that so I will take advantage of the tiny bonuses it gives us.

Stoner
    Free Member

Putting letters after their name is useful for telling the rest of us who the c0cks are

joao3v16

what, like putting numbers in your login id is useful for telling the rest of us who the c0cks are?

jam-bo

I did when I first got them. Now I don’t.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont – our design engineers have a thing for it ….. as well as middle initials – it seems to be a competition over there in that side of the office – how many pointless things can i add to my email signature ….

aP
    Free Member

I put RIBA after my name for business stuff, for broadly the same reasons as stoner.

Stoner
    Free Member

yep, RIBA and RICS very similar in their professional rigour.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Letters after your name – do you?’ is closed to new replies.