• This topic has 61 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Lets see your Drop Offs
  • fergal
    Free Member

I know we all must like riding drops, getting the wheels off the ground just feels so right, are there any at trail centres that stand out for you, can you think of any natural features that cut the mustard, pics would be nice.
    There is a drop near me, i need some psyche for, not massive, but for a punter pretty intimadating, over head height to a steep transition, not sure i have the cajones!.

D0NK

road gap (but it’s not a road and not much of a gap TBH) at Ae is prob scariest I’ve done. Not me

There’s an old train platform near me (no tracks) I used to practice dropping off.

You obviously go bigger than me, 4′-5′ with a nice easy landing is my limit, dodgy landings and the height will need to be quite a bit lower.

GEDA
    Free Member

I will show you mine if you show me yours.

yunki
    Free Member

Woodbury Common.. (not me in the pic)

jackal
    Free Member

Must be 6 years ago now that :oops:, think I’m on my old bullit…

If you can do a drop of a few feet then head height is no prob’s, its the same technique, you just need to get your head round doing it.

😀

_tom_
    Free Member

Vid from Woburn about a month ago, now doing it all on my hardtail cos I’m well ‘ard. As always the camera makes stuff look smaller/flatter but the last drop (or more of a step down I suppose) is quite large and very fun 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uIwZsal8sQ[/video]

brownix
    Free Member

Can’t see the landing. Good 5 foot off the ground 😉

rudedog
    Free Member

The woodbury common pic looks like its going wrong

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Teh one about 32 seconds in looks like he’s about to nose dive, then you see the landing really is that steep!

Biggest I ever do is about a foot, but hit one in the peaks yesterday and the long landing/transition made it feel like I was in the air for ages!

carlphillips
    Free Member

where on woodbury is that?

xiphon
    Free Member

_tom_
    Free Member

twas the first time I’d done it and did nose it in a bit much, I thought I was going over the bars 😆 It’s so smooth when you get it right because of the steep landing.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Ae again. Nice gap. Not super hard, but a nice buzz all the same.

AlexSimon

jon – that one makes me imagine casing the landing, which then makes me feel a little bit sick.

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Me few months ago…..

gee
    Free Member

Jon- “Not super hard” – er…. I disagree… That is well beyond the realms of what my confidence/ability allows.

munrobiker
    Free Member

One near my ‘rents.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Seriously, it’s really, really easy. There’s a left hander into it from 20 or 30m above the lip. Roll in from there, no pedaling, no braking, the shape of the lip pops you up nicely without needing you to do much, and then you’re landing on the tranny which is just graded right and then rail the berm. I reckon I could do it on a hardtail.

As with all these things, it’s about condfidence. That drop has been built to be ridden on an “official” trail, so you know it’s doable. If you hit it at the natural speed of the track, how could you cock it up? If you start panicking and braking, then you’ve only got yourself to blame. Likewise if you crank into it superhard, then you could expect to overshoot. Flow it, knowing you’re doing it right and it will be right.

legend
    Free Member

jon – that one makes me imagine casing the landing, which then makes me feel a little bit sick.

I’ve seen people manage to land both wheels short of the landing! They lived….

It is actually easy to do, just either run in from straight up the hill or on the track to the left (looking) up. These give a much easier run in than going on the main line, if you hit it at the right pace you don’t really have to do anything.

Houns

nickjb
    Free Member

Seriously, it’s really, really easy. There’s a left hander into it from 20 or 30m above the lip. Roll in from there, no pedaling, no braking

I could manage the ‘no pedaling’ bit, there’s no way my brain would let me get away with the ‘no braking’ bit as that lip sped closer 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Find someone who’s confident doing it, watch them doing it, then follow them in and over. That techniques always helps with my confidence as I know my speed and line will be OK.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Theres no way I’d do that AE jump. In fact anything that involves clearing anything to get to the landing zone is well off limits..

yunki
    Free Member

carlphillips – it’s at Pines Ridge.. not at the main bombhole with the dirt jumps but back further into the woods towards the main road from the carpark..

I heard a rumour the other day that the woodland there has been sold to a very unsympathetic landowner.. 😕

GW
    Free Member

I’ve seen people manage to land both wheels short of the landing!

me too, seriously difficult to managed that tho, I must’ve hit it 100s of times and only time I’ve ever cased it I rolled in proper lazy from about 20 foot away and didn’t bother hucking off the end (a half arsed pre-load and I’d have made it over fine)

This thread has just reminded me of how shit most drops look in pics compared to similar sized jumps.

wysiwyg
    Free Member
    stcolin
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6468683/

Not me in the photo, but I droppe this in the race that day after a couple of unsuccessful attempts.

carlphillips
    Free Member

cheers yunki, ive not seen that before. not heard about it being sold off either…not good.

johnhe

clubber
    Free Member

Here’s mine…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve done 4ft to flat on my hardtail and a few hefty 6-7ft ones on the full bouncer.

The drop in this video is oine of them (you can’t miss it, the video’s only short):
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/235194/

user-removed
    Free Member

My mate in the woods behind Penshaw. The run out must be about 45 degrees and looks much scarier than I managed to get accross in the photo…

JEngledow
    Free Member

The road drop at Cwmcarn took a couple of trips before I decided to go for it and then wondered what I’d worried about!

dan314
    Free Member

The drop offs at Lee Quarry. They might not look like much but I had made a right mess of them on a previous visit ( http://vimeo.com/21398681 ) so I was pretty happy to clear them first time on my return!

fergal
    Free Member

Thanks guys some great photo’s and inspiration, please keep them coming.

I would love to do some ladder drops, that one i presume is in the Alps, isn’t there a similiar one at Mabie?.

colournoise

Something slightly different and a bit more mincy perhaps but I like the photo. The drop is only about a foot or so (back wheel is just leaving the lip in the photo), but it’s about a third of the way down this steepish little chute. Not much room to run in so you have to roll the rooty top of the chute fairly slow and then unweight the front wheel enough to get the front wheel to the smoother landing (somewhere near the light patch of sand below the front wheel).

slainte 😳 rob

kayak23

Posted in the Reign thread. Cannock Chase/Stile Cop

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Good ol’ Stile Cop

2012 was supposed to be my year of the slow speed giant huck – I have yet to even start to fulfil this goal 😆

Stevelol
    Free Member

Sovereign at Glentress, surprisingly soft landing!

chiefgrooveguru

I need more things like this to try – most excellent!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Lets see your Drop Offs’ is closed to new replies.