Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Let's make Britain great again.
  • slowoldman

Just what do people mean by this?
    “Again” presumably means “like it used to be”? When was that?
    What parameters are used to measure greatness, what values do they currently have and what are the values which will demonstrate that greatness has returned to these fair isles?

augustuswindsock

Well, the sun never set on the British Empire in Victorian times, when we subjugated half the world and the vast majority of people in the country were living in poverty and squalor, kids working six day weeks down coal mines and up chimneys etc. no access to healthcare or a decent education, So it seems like we’re heading in the right direction!!! 👿

km79
    Free Member

You’ll need to ask those people. You know, the ones who have an offensive nicknames for people of every other nationality bar their own. All in the name of banter of course.

A hark back to the days when **** were **** and chinks were chinks, you know, the good old days.

surfer
    Free Member

Although it was always sunny during the summer hols!

footflaps

Just what do people mean by this?

I always think they mean “White” and the people saying it are either racist or politicians deliberately tapping into latent racism to win a few extra votes.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I think its to do with ‘taking back control’ although when you suggest that to the knuckledraggers in the case of the Scots indy ref the get all sniffy.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Do we have to? Can’t I just watch towie in me onesie?

maccruiskeen

It largely a sentiment expressed by people who don’t know what the ‘great’ in Great Britain actually means.

But never mind lets do it – but baby steps. Lets start by making Great Yarmouth great again. Followed by Great Plumstead, Great Shoddesden, Great Walsingham and the Great Orme.

Then when we’ve done that lets make the Greater places even greater still. How about “Greatest Manchester”

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The vibe at this year’s Last Night of the Proms will be interesting…

Nipper99
    Free Member

I think they should close the proms with this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wod-MudLNPA&list=RDWod-MudLNPA&index=1[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Think about sport and London 2012, all doom and gloom forecasts before and naysayers the reality was we delivered the stadiums and facilities ahead of schedule under budget and with zero fatalities. The games where an outstanding success and the best ever which is quite a achievement given Sydney 2000. We are a small nation yet deliver outstanding Olympic performances at the highest level.

So more of that. More confidence, more energy, more dynamism, more outwardly focused forging new relationships and strengthening historical ones. India alone has much more potential than Europe and any potential new EU members.

We should never ever have signed the Masstrich or Lisbon treaties without a Referendum. Major and Brown did not have the bottle to do the right thing and call a referendum or simply step away.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Always fabulous and always full of many different countries flags. Brilliant.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Zero fatalities, apart that bloke that died.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Jamby nailed it

Or Gove if you want the same thing with more words.

Personally I think its just jingoistic pish as if the “past” was better or going there is a good idea

headfirst
    Free Member

It means bring back Tony the Tiger. I haven’t seen him on the telly in years.

codybrennan
    Free Member

The one-off stuff is easy- everyone rallies round hunting glory.

We might be able to deliver an Olympics; we can’t, however, build a new nuclear power station without French engineering and Chinese money, and promising them double the rate per Kwh.

Junkyard
    Free Member

GGGGGGGRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT idea

maccruiskeen

So the ‘Great’ Britain we’re harking back to is 2012? Excellent.

slowoldman

I played in a concert 2 days after the Brexit vote. It had been organised months earlier as part of the Queen’s birthday celebrations. Purcell’s Fairest Isle and Arne’s Rule Britannia, which originally had seemed quite appropriate suddenly felt strangely uncomfortable.

Shame that, it’s only music.

miketually
    Free Member

I remember when British forums didn’t just recycle Daily Show segments as forum threads. Them was the days.

Northwind

The olympics were great; and it was only 4 years ago and things haven’t got that much worse. So when people say “make britain great again”, if that’s the target, we just had to reverse 4 years of tory shitebaggery and it’s all good? But instead we’ve left the EU?

“Make X great again” is a weird thing said by people who hate their country and culture yet delude themselves that they’re patriots as they deride it and work to destroy it

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Purcell’s Fairest Isle and Arne’s Rule Britannia, which originally had seemed quite appropriate suddenly felt strangely uncomfortable.

Yes. This, I think.

Nipper99
    Free Member

What does ‘ India alone has much more potential’ mean – potential for what?

garage-dweller

I think it’s a typo I believe we’re actually going to make Britain grate again.

loddrik
    Free Member

How far back are we talking? Do you mean dog shit everywhere, ‘NF’ written all over busses and Lasagne as an exotic food great again?

footflaps

What does ‘ India alone has much more potential’ mean – potential for what?

It means the person saying it knows bugger all about India in terms of the market, the way it does business, etc. It’s just a delusion, typically espoused by Europhobics.

E.g. take cars, the big market in India is for something called the 1 Lac Car (1 Lac =100k rupees). A very, very cheap stripped down, uber basic car, sold at cost + 0.05% margin. Completely different to the typical European car, which we make.

Or mobile phones, where the top selling Indian model is a $5 handset made in China.

We can sell a modest number of high end products to the small rich set in India, but have no products, nor expertise, nor the low cost base necessary to address the mass market.

slowoldman

I think they should close the proms with this:

It’s already been on this year – last Sunday.

dudeofdoom

article 50 innit rollback to 1950 when people were nicer and those nasty Europeans didn’t give us loads of rules.
    (According to the old dear on radio)

allthepies
    Free Member

As in last night of the proms ? 10th September 2016.

You are a time traveller and I claim my future riches.

slowoldman

As in last night of the proms ?

No. It’s already been on this season (Beethoven’s 9th that is, not the last night).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We are a small nation yet deliver outstanding Olympic performances at the highest level.

So more of that. More confidence, more energy, more dynamism, more outwardly focused forging new relationships and strengthening historical ones.

So more Olympic Games is the answer ?

teadrinker
    Free Member

It means bring back Tony the Tiger. I haven’t seen him on the telly in years.

And Busby. I miss Busby.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

If we bring back Tony the Tiger do we get white dog poo too?

ninfan
    Free Member

Look at what Britain has invented over the years

we are one of the worlds greatest nations for science, technology and innovation,

we used to be the best – could, with work, be the leader once again

chickenman

Yes, but remember that Britain’s science research faculties have been net receivers of EU funding with the best science people from the EU flocking here to help make this all work the way it does. This is about to all go down the plughole incase you hadn’t noticed.

maccruiskeen

Bloody foreigners – comin’ ‘ere. Thinking up stuff like Graphene that we would have invented without them if we weren’t so busy thinking about how great we used to be.

crikey
    Free Member

Panem et circenses isn’t it? Hmmm?
    Togas for goalposts, wasn’t it, dropping down from Hadrians wall, sharing olives and shortbread with the Picts, glorious….

outofbreath
    Free Member

“It means the person saying it knows bugger all about India in terms of the market, the way it does business, etc. It’s just a delusion, typically espoused by Europhobics.
    E.g. take cars, the big market in India is for something called the 1 Lac Car (1 Lac =100k rupees). A very, very cheap stripped down, uber basic car, sold at cost + 0.05% margin. Completely different to the typical European car, which we make.
    Or mobile phones, where the top selling Indian model is a $5 handset made in China.
    We can sell a modest number of high end products to the small rich set in India, but have no products, nor expertise, nor the low cost base necessary to address the mass market.”

Although the EU spent years trying to agree a Trade Deal with India before giving up so it must be a market worth addressing.

codybrennan
    Free Member

They say immigrants steal the hubcaps
    Of the respected gentlemen.
    They say it would be wine an’ roses
    If England were for Englishmen again…

Well I saw a dirty overcoat
    At the foot of the pillar of the road
    Propped inside was an old man
    Whom time would not erode
    When the night was snapped by sirens
    Those blue lights circled fast
    The dancehall called for an’ ambulance
    The bars all closed up fast

My silence gazing at the ceiling
    While roaming the single room
    I thought the old man could help me
    If he could explain the gloom
    You really think it’s all new
    You really think about it too
    The old man scoffed as he spoke to me
    I’ll tell you a thing or two

I missed the fourteen-eighteen war
    But not the sorrow afterwards
    With my father dead and my mother ran off
    My brothers took the pay of hoods
    The twenties turned the north was dead
    The hunger strike came marching south
    At the garden party not a word was said
    The ladies lifted cake to their mouths

The next war began and my ship sailed
    With battle orders writ in bed
    In five long years of bullets and shells
    We left ten million dead
    The few returned to old Piccadily
    We limped around Leicester Square
    The world was busy rebuilding itself
    The architects could not care

But how could we know when I was young
    All the changes that were to come?
    All the photos in the wallets on the battlefield
    And now the terror of the scientific sun
    There was masters an’ servants an’ servants an’ dogs
    They taught you how to touch your cap
    But through strikes an’ famine an’ war an’ peace
    England never closed this gap

So leave me now the moon is up
    But remember all the tales I tell
    The memories that you have dredged up
    Are on letters forwarded from hell

The streets were by now deserted
    The gangs had trudged off home
    The lights clicked off in the bedsits
    An’ old England was all alone…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Look at what Britain has invented over the years

we are one of the worlds greatest nations for science, technology and innovation,

we used to be the best – could, with work, be the leader once again

So why don’t you call it by its proper name Great Britain then ?

You obviously don’t want to put the Great back 🙁

I bet you voted to stay in the EU.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Let's make Britain great again.’ is closed to new replies.