Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • Let's make Britain great again.
  • headfirst
    Free Member

Are we still on with this? Has anyone found Tony the Tiger yet?

retro83
    Free Member

km79 – Member

I do work in such industry. Trust me, there is nothing amazing about ‘only’ having one fatality in a project of that size. Not in this country anyway.

The accident rate was under half the industry average for this country.

kimbers

Whiile, the giddy heights of the summer of 2012 might be the peak of Britain’s greatness for some 😕
    For me it’s all been downhill since the encroachment of the Danelaw

footflaps

We had a vote,we’re out of the EU

You sure about that? Last time I checked we were still a member…

Junkyard
    Free Member

This may be a quite uncomfortable thing for people who don’t work in heavy industry but actually it was an amazing achievement.

No deaths would not even be an amazing achievement. I am not aware of any building project having an acceptable death rate- yes they happen but its,almost, always the result of failure somewhere as the point is for no one to die- even then its not amazing its just well executed.

It may be “acceptable” or to be expected but its not amazing.

Anyway zero does not equal one and jamby was wrong as usual even if he thinks they mean the same

I aim to show the difference by hoofing him in the slats once and him doing it zero times to me 😉

clodhopper
    Free Member

“@clod I wasn’t aware of the ONE fatality. Point still very much valid, thanks for backing up my point. Only 1 fatality on a construction project of that size is a spectacular achievement.”

‘Point still valid’? Are you for **** real? 😯

Yes, it’s a ‘spectacular achievement’ that 2 human lives were lost as a direct consequence of the games. Yes, 2 lives, not zero, not one. Two.

Enough of your revisionism, Jamby. We’re sick of it.

chickenman

The thing I hardly ever see mentioned is the fact that we buy most of our food from the EU. The Adam Smith Institute guy I heard on the radio the other day seems to be of the opinion that Europe wouldn’t dare impose trading conditions on us that would see a massive hike in food prices here. His logic was that they need our business; we can always buy our food elsewhere e.g. Kenya. Is it just me who finds this unlikely as well as morally repugnant?
    What little food we do grow here is largely picked by EU workers. I guess the plan is to chuck these people out and get the longterm unemployed to do the job instead? Hmmmm…

footflaps

we can always buy our food elsewhere e.g. Kenya. Is it just me who finds this unlikely as well as morally repugnant?

We do already import a lot of salad from Kenya…..

I guess the plan is to chuck these people out and get the longterm unemployed to do the job instead?

When you say Plan, this would be the ‘official one’ where we just say ‘Two world wars and one world cup’ and everything just miraculously sorts itself out, including the rotting fruit left in the fields….

PJM1974
    Free Member

Great Britain?

Well, not too long ago we managed to host a global sporting event. We made people from around the world welcome, revelled in our diversity AND somehow made the trains to and from the Olympic stadium function.

footflaps

We made people from around the world welcome, revelled in our diversity

Don’t worry, we’re rapidly correcting all those horrible mistakes.

The 52% are working tirelessly to make GB an unwelcoming as possible: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-racism-uk-post-referendum-racism-hate-crime-eu-referendum-racism-unleashed-poland-racist-a7160786.html

gobuchul
    Free Member

The thing I hardly ever see mentioned is the fact that we buy most of our food from the EU.

I don’t. I reckon 80% of my food is UK produced.

hels
    Free Member

Sorry for getting all dictionary pedantic on you on a Friday, but there is more than one meaning to “great” through history and you are all assuming the modern meaning.

My understanding is that the “Great” in Great Britain did not originally refer to the level awesomeness possessed by the country, but the size of the combined unit ? I think the term was coined when all the bits joined up.

It is an interesting topic for a square like me – I have often pondered at what point we stop referring to “New” Zealand – and just go with Zealand or the preferable “Aoteoroa”. I mean, it was first spotted by a white guy in 1642 – hardly new any more ?

And if Texas votes to go it alone – will USA become the “Disunited States of America” ?

br
    Free Member

We might be able to deliver an Olympics; we can’t, however, build a new nuclear power station without French engineering and Chinese money, and promising them double the rate per

Ahhh, seems we can’t even do it WITH them..

br
    Free Member

Eh, do you live on barley and potatoes? 😉

footflaps

Ahhh, seems we can’t even do it WITH them…

even after offering then the highest electricity prices on the planet, guaranteed for 30 years!

Only ‘Great’ Britain can manage such epic incompetence and still think it’s Great!

gobuchul
    Free Member

Eh, do you live on barley and potatoes?

No.

Meat and veg mainly.

All of my meat is UK sourced, except I will at times buy imported bacon.

The majority of my veg is UK produced and seasonal, I’m tight and I like veg to taste good.

It isn’t hard to buy UK produced food.

slowoldman

Eh, do you live on barley and potatoes? [/quote]
    80% might be pushing it but I reckon a pretty high percentage of mine is home produced. My wine consumption tips the balance though.

slowoldman

revelled in our diversity

With that in mind this is what happens when you stifle diversity:
    Inbreeding

ninfan
    Free Member

A couple of months back I think we were the 6th biggest economy in the world, then we slipped to 7th…
    So would getting back to 6th be great?

Aparrently we are fifth

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/022415/worlds-top-10-economies.asp

Huzzah!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Londons fifth the rest is just a ****ing nuisance

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Apparently 64% of Food sold in the UK is produced in the UK but it’s probably less as ingredients are imported

DezB
    Free Member

Hilary and Donald have been shouting it about the US too… (was it ever called Great America?)

To me it’s just a soundbite phrase that makes idiots wave their hands and yell.

chickenman

I think where food ingredients are produced is more relevant to the argument than where it is processed and packaged. I would guess the figure is more like 20%. Depends if you measure food by volume, retail or source value or calories though.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Anyone else fancy clubbing together and buying a small island somewhere to stay until the Brexit/Trump dust settles?

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m in.

Reading through the above I think loddrick’s quote

How far back are we talking? Do you mean dog shit everywhere, ‘NF’ written all over busses and Lasagne as an exotic food great again?

is pretty spot on. Can anyone really identify a golden era where things were really “Great”? I can’t.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s vital we have a certain proportion of our food imported from abroad, even for produce that we can produce ourselves. If we produced the vast majority of our food then in a year of drought or some environmental event, or something like mad cow disease that significantly ruins crops and slashes the amount of food we have available we would be in trouble. You can’t just at short notice demand to import food. Global farmers are not overproducing, this stuff has to be grown months ahead of demand, so you’d be having to wait until next season before you saw the imports come in.

chickenman

Bikini Atoll, going cheap…

epicyclo

When it comes to greatness, the last time the UK demonstrated that was the Falklands War IMO. Unfortunately it was the tail end of greatness and it could easily have gone the other way.

It was the end of greatness because it made it plainly obvious that the country was seen as getting weak by those who would not have dared that sort of attack any time in the preceding 100 years.

Aristotle
    Free Member

lunge – Member
    I genuinely believe Britain is better now than it has been at any other point of history. We have a high life expectancy than we ever have, infant mortality is lower, standard of living are higher, generally, we’re in a good place.

Yes there are thinks that could change and be improved, but to look at the 50’s (or 60’s/70’s/80’s) and say it was “better” then is just plain naive.

Exactly, although I will concede that there are many people who feel ‘left behind’ and there are many depressing places around the country.

Having said that, those that have been ‘left behind’ are still living in far better conditions than the poor of recent decades.

My grandparents rented a house with an outside toilet, single-glazed windows and no central heating, up until they died at around the age of 80 in the mid-1980s. My grandad’s only foreign trips were courtesy of the British Army in the 1940s

(a venture that was successful thanks to the contributions of the USA and the Soviet Union, don’t forget)

-They were working class and had a very modest income, but would not liked to have considered themselves POOR as they could afford to eat.

They would be amazed at how things have advanced in the past 30 years.

kimbers

Can anyone really identify a golden era where things were really “Great”? I can’t.

Its just something that happens as you get old, peoples spectacles get ever more rose tinted

hence why all them oldies decided that back in the day b4 we were all ruled by brussles technocrats it was all lovely so they voted to turn back the clock

maccruiskeen

It isn’t hard to buy UK produced food.

But its gets harder if everyone else wants or has to do it

Nico
    Free Member

the sun never set on the British Empire in Victorian times

This is a misunderstood saying. It simply means that the Empire covered so much of the world’s surface that there was always some bit of it in daylight.

And don’t get me started on the “What’s so Great about Great Britain” wilful misunderstanders.

“Make Britain great again” really means “proud” again. That means not saying sorry when somebody steps on your toe.

chickenman

Britain was the one country in Europe that came out of WW2 with dignity intact (if Britain had sued for peace in 1940 then the Nazis would probably still rule over most of Europe. Of course it was the US and Soviets who largely won it). The rest of Europe has had to reshape its attitudes to its neighbours after the war, Britain has not. It is our general low opinion of other nations that means we only listen to negative messages about them. A lot of us read the Daily Mail, forgetting that it thought Hitler the bees knees right up until 3rd Sept 1939 and hasn’t had a good thing to say about any European citizen since.
    Britain won’t be great again in the way it used to. Globalism has put paid to that. We were great historically because who took control of power and wealth away from the church and monarchy (centuries before other nations did) and by and large managed to appoint competent and incorruptible people to run the whole show. And had most of our raw materials supplied by slave labour of course.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Nico – Member

This is a misunderstood saying. It simply means that the Empire covered so much of the world’s surface that there was always some bit of it in daylight.
    Yes. I think that most people understand that, don’t they?

And don’t get me started on the “What’s so Great about Great Britain” wilful misunderstanders.

“Make Britain great again” really means “proud” again. That means not saying sorry when somebody steps on your toe.
    but isn’t that what makes Britain great? -similarly for somebody spilling their pint on you. Oh, and queueing too?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s Friday – LETS GET PISSED!

Binge Drinking, what truly makes us Great.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Britain won’t be great again in the way it used to. Globalism has put paid to that. We were great historically because who took control of power and wealth away from the church and monarchy (centuries before other nations did) and by and large managed to appoint competent and incorruptible people to run the whole show.

Yes. Living on a big island provided some defence/isolation at times, although there have been conquerors.

Living on this big island also required that we needed decent boats if we wanted to go out and conquer. As technology improved, we built a formidable navy to do so.

Our climate and geology helped us too.

The relative lack of day-to-day and large-scale corruption in the UK is interesting.

footflaps

If you define Great as being how much we contribute to the world rather than how much we take, then we’re heading in completely the wrong direction at the moment….

The relative lack of day-to-day and large-scale corruption in the UK is interesting.

Still plenty about, it’s just not as blatantly illegal as in places like Nigeria. Large corporates spend 100s of £m lobbying HMG to get laws passed / changed. We allow billionaires to own huge estate of Media and have undue influence etc. Corrupt but technically legal.

Aristotle
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    If you define Great as being how much we contribute to the world rather than how much we take, then we’re heading in completely the wrong direction at the moment….

The balance of trade used to be broadcast on the news in the old days. I don’t recall hearing about it much in recent times.

Aristotle
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    Still plenty about, it’s just not as blatantly illegal as in places like Nigeria. Large corporates spend 100s of £m lobbying HMG to get laws passed / changed. We allow billionaires to own huge estate of Media and have undue influence etc. Corrupt but technically legal.

Hence my use of the word , “relative”.

The UK is relatively uncorrupt, especially in day-to-day life/interaction with public officials etc.

Nico
    Free Member

but isn’t that what makes Britain great? -similarly for somebody spilling their pint on you. Oh, and queueing too?

It’s certainly a charming quality, if not unique to these islands.

The only reason Britain is “Great” is to distinguish the largest island in the British Isles from other definitions of Britain.

As for people understanding the sun setting bit, many people seem to think that it means it will go on forever like the 1000 year Reich, and use that as a tool to ridicule the Victorians for their arrogance.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Let's make Britain great again.’ is closed to new replies.