Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 176 total)
  • Let's have your… favourite quotes.
  • Tracey

It wont hurt when the pains gone away

pistonbroke
    Free Member

By an old motocrossing friend who was about 8 stone wet through and took up with a rather buxom Welsh lady. "Its like owning a 500 but only being able to ride a 125"

tyger
    Free Member

The pen is mightier than the sword – and considerably easier to write with – Woody Allen

tyger
    Free Member

‘If you’ve got a problem with someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares? You’re a mile away and you’ve got their shoes’ Billy Connolly

nedrapier

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Not sure who's it is, but I like it!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If I have nothing to complain about, I'll complain about nothing

don't know who, but sfb would be a likely contender

Also
    England Algeria Slovenia Yanks
    The Sun

"When I give to the poor, people call me a saint.
    When I ask why there are poor, they call me a communist.
    When I help refugees, people call me a saint.
    When I ask why they are here, they call me a fascist.
    Maybe I should stop asking questions"

MilitantGraham

McQ
    Free Member

Pain is temporary, glory is forever

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That which does not kill us only makes us stronger. Mao T'se Tung

Actually, that was Friedrich Nietzsche.

Mao said stuff that was mostly stupid, except for one thing, in conversation with the present "Dalai Lama"..

"Religion is poison".

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes that dalai lama's principles, beliefs and ideas are true poison when you compare them to that benign do gooder and bringer of joy, tolerance and peace Mao 🙄

RustySpanner

But Buddhism isn't, strictly, a religion – no God involved.

And for the purposes of happiness in a post enlightenment western democracy, I think we can safely disregard Mao.

warton
    Free Member

yes that dalai lama's principles, beliefs and ideas are true poison

Buddhism isn't a religion though is it?

chakaping
    Free Member

There are few sensible people, we find, except those who share our opinion.

La Rochefoucauld, 1662 (but he could have been writing about the internet yesterday).

jabbathehut
    Free Member

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. – Mark Twain.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Of course Buddhism is a religion even Whoppit , myself, Dalia Lama and Mao agree on that ..now that is a pretty broad church 😉

surfer
    Free Member

In relation to religion.

"if people dont like their ideas laughed at then they shouldnt have such funny ideas"

Gypsey Rose Lee.

mttm
    Free Member

"The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Samuel Goldwyn

surfer
    Free Member

I also like Hitchins quote.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence"

Whoops already done!

surfer
    Free Member

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby"

Baden Powell, Scouting for Boys, 1934, on the subject of shorts…

"They give freedom to the legs and ventilation. Another advantage is that when the ground is wet, you can go about without stockings and none of your clothes gets damp. Damp clothes are dangerous and would soon make you ill."

Fred Dibnah, steeplejack.

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Marcel Marceau;

"__________"

DrP

"Stoop if the roof is low"
    "A great man can make those around him feely lowly, but the truly great man makes those around him feel great"

Ancient Chinese Proverbs.

DrP

supercyril
    Free Member

Work less – buy less

"There has to be a nuclear bunker in Whitehall. Government doesn't stop merely because the country has been destroyed. Annihilation is bad enough without anarchy to make it even worse."
    Sir Humphrey Appleby

RealMan
    Free Member

"Its not about the bike" – Lance Armstrong, I think?

"MTFU." – anon

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally." – W. C. Fields

niallmb
    Free Member

its known as the stagehands creed but probably applies in most jobs:

We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful; We have done so much, for so long, with so little; We can now do virtually anything with nothing!

Bing
    Free Member

Religion is dangerous.

Rob, me ex GF's dad.

Gotta say i agree with that.

TheDoog
    Free Member

"better lives have been lived in the margins, locked in prisons and lost on the gallows, than have ever been enshrined in palaces"

Propagandhi- Todays empires, tomorrows ashes- 2000

grahamt1980

'Beyond our skills and strength, expertise and experience, we must accept the world is as it is, including change however tragic. All we can do is mind how we go on the earth and look after each other and, if we cannot turn sadness into joy. or death back into life, friendship and remembering will have to do' – John Allen (Cairngorm John)

And

'Religion. Shit it.' Stephen Fry

and finally

"Happiness is a life dedicated to occupations for which that individual feels a singular vocation. Immersed in them, he misses nothing, the whole present fills him completely, free from desire and nostalgia…For that reason we want them to never end…And really, once absorbed in a pleasurable occupation, we catch a starry glimpse of eternity."
    Ortega y Gasset

bassspine
    Free Member

"son, I want you to take this piece of advice and live by it as I do. All capri drivers are w@nkers"
    my mate Andy's taxi-driver dad

chewkw
    Free Member

"Power comes from the barrel of a gun"

Supreme Dear Leader Mao the master of the Universe and the god of maggots that step on you.

Wookster

Always liked " stand by the banks of the river long enough and the bodies of you enemies will float by"

Digger90
    Free Member

"What you own, owns you".

My mate's Father-in-law.

tazzymtb

before you criticise anyone, walk a mile in their shoes, that way if you piss them off they're a mile away and barefoot

Weyman Bennett of Unite Against Fascism.

"I support freedom of speech, but not for fascists"

silverpigeon
    Free Member

The only reason I made a commercial for American Express was to pay for my American Express bill.

Peter Ustinov

alecangus
    Free Member

"May your life be a decadent orgy of wasteful delight in the pursuit of meaningless indulgence."

–Coketalk

scotia
    Free Member

"Life is an important gift. Every minute we spend on this earth is a privilege; not a right."

Mark ‘petesgaff’ Fradgley

yunki
    Free Member

It has been my experience that those who have no vices have very few virtues.
    (ABRAHAM LINCOLN)
    Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don’t live it, it won’t come out of your horn.
    (CHARLIE PARKER)
    'Never let the truth get in the way of a good story'
    (BRANDON 'CHOPPER' READ)
    I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    (HUNTER S THOMPSON)
    'easter eggs are only **** 99p, you baby- dicked tramp!'
    (KYLE WILSON aged 11, reprimanding his selfish uncle)
    'Moderation? It's mediocrity, fear, and confusion in disguise. It's the devil's dilemma. It's neither doing nor not doing. It's the wobbling compromise that makes no one happy. Moderation is for the bland, the apologetic, for the fence-sitters of the world afraid to take a stand. It's for those afraid to laugh or cry, for those afraid to live or die. Moderation…is lukewarm tea, the devil's own brew.'
    (MILLMAN)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Let's have your… favourite quotes.’ is closed to new replies.