Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Lets get excited about Mayhem
  • Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Chaps, not long now 26 days…
    Who's been training hard and what length ride have you been doing? I've been hitting the gym hard for the past 3 month (5times a week) plus riding, I can wait 😀

postierich
    Free Member

Me went down this weekend to tape out a huge area for our teams!!! 😆
    Training consists of riding round the local footy pitches hundreds of times!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

excited, but got set2rise first, and very excited about that too.

The next 5 weeks are going to be ACE.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Me went down this weekend to tape out a huge area for our teams!!!

So your the one!!!
    Must admit that I'll be doing that Thursday once we arrive 😆
    Was thinking of doing Set2rise but think a trip along the Southdowns way will work for me )

Gary_C

Me went down this weekend to tape out a huge area for our teams!!!

Blimey, & I thought that Germans putting towels on sunloungers were bad…

😉

Brownbacks
    Free Member

mayhem's old hat

get excited about http://www.ssuk10.co.uk

I get my highest race placing at SSUK!

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Not sure about Mayhem being 'Old Hat' this is our second year and the start for us really, I base the whole year round it..!! The only thing I think it needs is a band on friday night..

oldgit
    Free Member

Bigface I really envy your enthusiasm, as much as I'd love to do another one, ten years worth of them has taken the edge off them a bit. I remember the excitement back in 2000 but they just don't seem that special anymore.

I've got 12 hour warm up rides at Set2Rise and Bristol before MM.
    I'm still not sure I've done the right thing entering solo and keep wondering if I should give up my place and try to get on a team instead.

Bedds
    Free Member

This will be my 6th and although I'm looking forward to it (probably out of tradition) my real event this year will be 24/12..

Having said that, I can pretty much bet I'll be like a kid at christmas in the week leading up to it 😉

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

hmmm. taping out your areas, it does smack a bit of sunbed bagging. despitwe having some of our team local, we won't be doing it, and if I were the organiser I'd pull up any areas that had been staked out. The size of some teams reserved spaces was ridiculous last year.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member
    brakeswithface

^ +1

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

C'mon the week before Mayhem is like the build up to Christmas… You know as soon as you drive through the gates, you'll start getting excited and if thats not there then its time not to come..

titusrider
    Free Member

isnt it just riding round a field in the rain for 24 hours? 😛

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

titusrider – Member
    isnt it just riding round a field in the rain for 24 hours?

only in the same way a football match is only watching 22 blokes kicking a bag of air around for 90 minutes.

without getting too cheesy, Mayhem is definately more than the sum of its parts. Yes, it's not a ride I'd choose to do for the sheer fun of it, but more of a annual re-union for some good mates.

I can't wait!

oldgit
    Free Member

Any news on it moving location sometime soon?
    Don't get me wrong I know the buzz you must be feeling. I remember the giant team always being there with their massive bus with outdoor video on the side. Gary Fisher was there to. The Red Bull tent next to the lake, all the freebies being thrown about I loved Sandwell.
    And I spent a week building the 'Chill out zone' for the first eastnor event, the one that had the pool table playstations fridges bean bags etc. We did the Saab test ride course as well. Unfortuneatly Saabs hospitality that week meant I put on about a stone prior to my solo.
    Happy days.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Soloing again this year but not got the miles in for various reasons so not expecting much. Probably my last at Mayhem – there are other races out there which have popped up in the last few years that provide something different.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Those sound like the good days, Freebies thats the way forword…..

will
    Free Member

i can't wait! Training wise just riding lots

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Anyone's first time?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Wish I could interest people round here in forming a team, something I'd love to do, but don't fancy the first time being solo.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Swift, Rock up on the day and see if you can find a team..Loads of people drop out and I bet you could get a couple of laps in

phildowling
    Free Member

My 1st Mayhem this year doing solo 24, more excited about to Set2Rise at the mo though.

On the camping question is there a seperate trackside solo camping area?

I'm probably arriving on Friday during the day but these camp site reserves seem to be getting

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I believe there is a separate soloists area for camping closer to the start finish.

dasnut
    Free Member

no, its shit

oldgit
    Free Member

Skills cart all you're kit into the solo tent and lay all youre food and drink on the tables provided and grab a chair. That'll stop you falling asleep in youre tent. I can't recall the policy on cooking inside the solo tent though.

Set2Rise is ace, with a helper on that you don't need to come off course. Sadly my bottom bracket fell out on that. I reckon if you can contemplate a 24 solo you can do a 12 non stop.

phildowling
    Free Member

Cheers Oldgit, Done plenty of Solo's before including set2rise, but this will be my 1st Mayhem always avoided it before.

Anyway sleeping is for girls 😉

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Nice idea bigface, only two issues are, I have no way of getting there, and in 26 days I will be back in the middle of the north sea again.

grtdkad

I can't wait, my fifth year as a solo (and I'm old and fat and crap) but the point of it is the overall atmosphere and the personal challenge.
    I've been focussed on MM since finishing last year and trying to make time to ride more than ever…but will still be crap 😐

Aiming for a hundred miles but we'll see what happens on the day…FWIW I think the natural bowl at Eastnor works well with the various, more technical aspects off in the various corners of the course.

grtdkad

Has anyone any news when the map / profile info etc will be published ? Perhaps coming through the post with the final instructions?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

reading the posts on twitter it seems like some people have been have a cheeky ride around already, Not sure when it comes out but someone did say the couse was on the other side of the castle this year?

oldgit
    Free Member

My juices are being stirred 😯 perhaps a return next year. Already got a busy 2010 with 19 road races, 11 cyclocross races and 5 XC races.

grtdkad

Oh no, I am going to have to put the chocolate hobnobs away now….

…there are miles of tracks on the hills beyond the castle, very wet and very rutted (I have been up there on a Landrover Experience day)

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

oldgit: You posted a couple of days ago and you didnt seem that keen glad you've changed your mind, Spent most of the day looking for a new gazebo to house the team… got a bad felling we may see the wet stuff…the R word..

oldgit
    Free Member

I never managed a dry 24 in ten years, well just one.

grtdkad

I have it on very good authority that it's gonna be glorious!

Ti29er
    Free Member

I've switched to Bonty 24, pairs this year.
    If a space comes up with a week to go, I might, but after a few years, it's time for a break.
    Will ride the Meridas, UK 24 solo & Kielder 100.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

have it on very good authority that it's gonna be glorious!

Cmon what info have you got then?

[/quote]Oh no, I am going to have to put the chocolate hobnobs away now….

Its all Carb loading.. Bit early

twinklydave

It's going to be dry, sunny (with some white, fluffy clouds to tart the sky up a bit), warm (but not hot), with a gentle breeze.

It just is, right?
    It just is.

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Lets get excited about Mayhem’ is closed to new replies.