Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Legs feel like lead
  • simmy
    Free Member

First big ( for me ) road ride of the year 61 miles and I don’t half feel it now.

Legs started aching after about 30 miles, when I turned round and headed back.

On the ride, I had 2 flapjacks and a snickers so I didn’t feel like I’d bonked, just the legs feeling like every turn was torturous.

I’m guessing it’s just as its the furthest ive been for a while and I just need to get back into it. Any ideas if it could just be that ?

Not felt like this for ages, just normally jump off the bike and feel fine.

crazy-legs

I did my first road ride in a while today, felt a bit crap for most of it. I’m “track fit” at the moment, just not been doing any normal riding, even commuting (due to the ice).
    Unfortunately track riding, while it’s better than nothing, is bugger all good at training for Yorkshire hills…

To be fair, I reckon a good part of it was down to being on the CX with its knobbly tyres and the wind but it’s still demoralising to be churning up a hill you know you can normally do with no problems.

Just got to get on with it – if you have lost fitness it’ll come back quick enough.

langylad
    Free Member

How old are you? As you get older it takes a lot longer to recover, my legs feel like that on 9 out of 10 rides these days (47 yrs)

simmy
    Free Member

I’m 37

Feel fine now and did last night, it’s just I don’t normally get that ache whilst actually riding. Occasionally after, but not during.

BadlyWiredDog

If I feel like that, it’s usually because I’m slightly dehydrated.

iolo
    Free Member

What about bike fit? Seat/bar height,stem length,whatever all ok?

hora
    Free Member

I’m a novice at the road thing but a protein shake afterwards and plenty of water?

MoreCashThanDash

First long road ride since November yesterday. Did a 40 mile ride in December, furthest ride of any sort since was 20, not had chance to even commute much so far this year.

Quite what made us think a 70 mile ride was a good idea, even a fairly flat one, I have no idea. And it was a bit breezy. Definitely a bit dehydrated and not eaten enough on the ride. Grovelled up the gentle hill home at the end.

Ate and drank fairly well yesterday afterwards, was expecting to be unable to move today but just heavy legs.

Gentle spin in to work this morning wasn’t too bad. Subject to weather, this looks like being able to ride everyday this week.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Starting with a cold? I managed a majestic 28km in 1:15 yesterday on the road bike, felt like 50. Just had no pep. Woke up this morning with the cold that the kids have had all weekend.

simmy
    Free Member

First long road ride since November yesterday. Did a 40 mile ride in December, furthest ride of any sort since was 20, not had chance to even commute much so far this year.

Quite what made us think a 70 mile ride was a good idea, even a fairly flat one, I have no idea. And it was a bit breezy. Definitely a bit dehydrated and not eaten enough on the ride. Grovelled up the gentle hill home at the end.

Ate and drank fairly well yesterday afterwards, was expecting to be unable to move today but just heavy legs.

Sounds exactly the same as me, I’m guessing it’s just lack of mileage

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

It’s winter isn’t it. It’s cold, grey, wet or all three. If your riding still feels rubbish on the first genuinely warm and sunny day of spring then you’ve got problems.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Legs feel like lead’ is closed to new replies.