Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Skill Course – Jumps Drops Pumping
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

So I would like to go on a skills course the focus being on jumping especially gap jumps, drops bigger ones and pumping.

Done a couple of course before that have helped other parts of my riding.

I live in the East Midlands anyone have any good suggestions?

Stevet1
    Free Member

For jumps and pumping you could join your local BMX track and head down for gate practise.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Go see Tony and/or Nath at UK Bike Skills.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I should consider going to pump tracks, where I live has quite a few good ones.

Stiggy

I have just got back from a session with Tony from UK Bike Skills and he had me concentrating on what you’re after, the progression I made in a few hours was phenomenal.

dan86
    Free Member

At our local pump track we used to have races where you’re only allowed to pedal down the start ramp, then pump the rest of the track without pedalling. Great practice for technique!

bruceonabike
    Free Member

I’ve booked one at Cannock in December, I’ll let you know how it goes.

jedi

Stiggy, was great to meet you after all the forum years

jambalaya
    Free Member

UK Bike Skills is the best money you will spend on your bike/riding. That being said getting down to the pump track and working on things will clearly help but you could just be reinforcing bad habit/poor technique

SOAP
    Free Member

Jump and drop of a kerb its a lot cheaper and you will soon get the hang of it.
    A four inch drop is the same technique as a 4ft drop.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Technique is one thing, confidence is another.

Stiggy

^^This

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I have been taught to do drop offs and can I do fairly large ones up to about 5ft. But not massively confident and I think my technique could be improved.

jamiegardiner
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for Jedi from me. I have done several different courses over the years and always come away with something new. However, a day with Jedi was truly eye opening. I can’t put into words how simple Tony makes everything seem. Get down to UK Bike Skills and prepare to fly…

HindlePie
    Free Member

What Jamie G says. Tony’s teaching technique is incredible. Because he keeps everything so simple, you never get overwhelmed or over analyze.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

fr0sty125 – Member
    I have been taught to do drop offs and can I do fairly large ones up to about 5ft. But not massively confident and I think my technique could be improved.
    how often do you practice your jumps and drops then? because if you leave it for months between practice then it will be like starting all over again, its ALL about the practice

andermt
    Free Member

I’m thinking of doing the Neil Donoghue one at Llandegla next year, has anyone done this one?

superfli
    Free Member

Got a tailored course with Neil at FOD Mon 1stDec. Working on flow/corners/pumping and then some jumps in the afternoon. Would have preferred degla, but its too far away for a day trip.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Lawmanmx – Member How often do you practice your jumps and drops then? because if you leave it for months between practice then it will be like starting all over again, its ALL about the practice

I will admit big drops and jumps are not on my usual rides so I don’t practise them often and I haven’t been doing any downhill runs since May.

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

I have done Neil Donoghue’s course at Llandegla and it was well worth the cash.

Pumping, drops and jumps were all on the agenda.

I can’t comment on how it compares to other courses, but I got out of it what I wanted and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

fr0sty125 – Member
    Lawmanmx – Member How often do you practice your jumps and drops then? because if you leave it for months between practice then it will be like starting all over again, its ALL about the practice

fr0sty125.
    I will admit big drops and jumps are not on my usual rides so I don’t practise them often and I haven’t been doing any downhill runs since May.
    there’s yer problem then mate, the thing with Any skills is if you don’t use it You Lose it!
    practice practice practice 😉

jedi

Thanks for the recommend guys

sonofozzz1
    Free Member

How ever far you have to travel, I recommend to anyone that wants to get more from their riding to visit Tony Doyle at UK bike skills. You will not regret it.
    I did a coaching day with Tony about two months ago. He has totally transformed my riding, particularly where jumps are concerned. As others have said, the way that he simplifies the instruction makes the techniques very easy to put into practice.
    I used to feel that I could only jump on my free ride bike and I could only take on certain jumps if I liked the look of the take of angle etc… After my session with Tony I now feel I can jump anything on any bike. I am no longer a passenger in the air and am starting to add style, getting the bike leant over.
    The money I spent at UK bike skills has been my best value mtb purchase to date. No amount of bike or kit upgrades can improve your mtb experience like this.
    I wish I had done it years ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Skill Course – Jumps Drops Pumping’ is closed to new replies.