• This topic has 47 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Leeds
  • stocker7385
    Free Member

Hi,

I will be moving to Leeds in September to start a new job. Any recommendations on where is good to live? Looked at some flats in the city centre but I think I can get a better place outside of the centre. Also any recommendations on cycling clubs?

Thanks

Ed2001
    Free Member

Why not take a look at
    Beeston
    Chapel Town
    Seacroft
    Armly
    Gipton
    Harehills
    amongst others

ton

….is a shithole….. 😉

i live in rothwell 5 or so miles outside the city.
    it is ok, pretty quiet.
    chapel allerton is the ‘in’ place to live in leeds, very expesive tho.
    some of the flats by the river are nice, but the majority of them are empty, to the state that some are being bought by the council housing for cheap accommodation.
    generally outside the ring road is nicer to live.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gwj72
    Free Member

I lived Pudsey way (Farsley). Easy into town, easy out to rides. Even some local riding to be had towards Calverly and Horsforth.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Don’t listen to Ton these places are full of down to the earth salt of the earth type characters you will love it 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

1) north of the river
    2) outside the outer ring road, or as close to it as you can get
    3) between the A657 and A58
    or
    4) Shipley/Bingley/Baildon – much more bang for your buck and still only 20 minutes on the train into Leeds 😉

cycling clubs? go onto Bike Magic & search for North Leeds in the Rides forum. Or Bad Brains if you opt for south of town or even Wakefield.

NB Evans Cycles at XScape is in Glasshoughton (Castleford), not Leeds. No matter what they tell you otherwise

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Live as close to your work as possible/practical.

Loads of people in Leeds commute for miles, which seems a bit perverse. One of the great advantages of not being a Londoner should be the very short commute.

PS, there’s an Evans right next to the train station in the city centre.

ton

rothwell, woodlesford and oulton are all a 25 mins canalside commute in to the town center.

Philby

Depends on whether you are moving on your own or with family.

If you are single North Leeds is probably the place to head for – Headingley, Far Headingley, Weetwood, Chapel Allerton, Roundhay, Oakwood and Horsforth all have a range of decent accomodation and facilities such as pubs and takeaways. Or if you fancy somewhere less urban Otley is a nice place. North and North West Leeds have the best access to the trails.

Avoid all places mentioned by Ed as many of them feature quite high in the national burglary charts.

Don’t know about bike clubs as don’t live there any longer.

CHB

Tell us a bit more about who you are and what type of living and budget you have.
    Ton, firestarter, gooner, me and a few other live in leeds and know it well. Happy to help if you can give us an idea of what yiu are after. Ed above lists all the places to avoid, particularly gipton.

Ed2001
    Free Member

😈 I have been rumbled. I believe the correct answer to your question is don’t and commute instead.

stocker7385
    Free Member

CHB and others,
    moving with my girl friend in september. We are both 22 so would be good to be in a location where we can go out reasonably easily. Don’t mind cycling into work which is about a 5min walk from the station. Looked at the flats in the city centre but I think money could go further elsewhere I.e leave more for bikes! I think our max would be 700 a month but would prefer 500ish if that’s possible. Ideally furnished.
    Cheers for the help

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Otley?????

That IS a shithole! As rough as anything in most of the pubs there.

Save up and buy in Ilkley instead 😉

CHB

Have a look at Woodlesford. Two trains an hour and a ten minute journey to leeds. You have the canal and motorways near too. Crossgates and cookridge are pretty good value for money too, with excellent bus service into leeds. North leeds (Rodley in the west spanning to roundhay/shadwell and adel in the north east are supposedly the places to live, but you have to choose carefully. Leeds is a lovely city, but you really can go from posh to slum in half a mile…you have to know the city. I dont like chapple allerton as its too close to the drug areas.
    Happy to help further if you need owt.

ton

and if you choose woody, you are invited on my canalside pootles…………… 😉

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I used to live in Chapel Allerton, it was lovely.

I put that down to the fact that it was full of Southerners 😉

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Stocker,

you a “colleague” by chance?

Happy to help!!

MRanger156
    Free Member

I used to live in Chapel Allerton and its pretty good as bars & restaurants on your doorstep but you pay for it. Now live in Moortown where you get more for your money. I’d recommend:

Moortown
    Roundhay
    Chapel Allerton
    Alwoodly

Basically north leeds avoiding the sh*tholes. Don’t know much about south leeds im afraid.

Basil

Went there today, not going back.

Basil

I need to correct. I will go back to Leeds Ikea.

Basil

Is there an Ikea elsewhere?

john_drummer
    Free Member

ok, at 22 I’d go for student-land: Headingley, Hyde Park, Burley, Kirkstall; Horsforth or Bramley at a push as they’re still on the train lines; any further out is for when you’re older like me & want a quiet life 😉

However, studentland is very heavily subscribed & probably over-priced because of that…

south of the river means Holbeck, Hunslet, Beeston, none of them particularly nice places to live;

east side of town not nice at all (I’m from East Leeds Irish stock, grandparents lived in that part of town, not somewhere I’d want to go back to);

west = Armley, Wortley, Bramley & heading out towards Pudsey & Bradford. Having lived in the latter from 1982-98 I’d say avoid anything with a BD1-BD9 postcode, although parts of Wrose, Eccleshill & Idle (BD2) are ok

john_drummer
    Free Member

Basil – there’s one in Warrington. And another in Washington I think. Gildersome is nice by comparison

Save up and buy in Ilkley instead best get started saving now then 😉 It is nice, but boy is it expensive. and the A65 through the town centre is very slow, except when it floods, when it’s even slower

CHB

john, you cant write off huge areas like that. There are some nice bits to east leeds, crossgates, colton, whitkirk. And south leeds too has some lovely bits, Rothwell, woodlesford and garforth are all nice. West leeds (pudsey etc) are not my area of expertise, but give me seacroft over armley any day!
    As said above you need to know the nice areas. Areas like beeston, gipton, halton moor, belle isle, harehills are all best avoided, but to be fair 30 seconds of driving in these areas makes it flippin obvious.

R.lepecha

Ton, can I be invited to your canal side pootles?

Another vote for woody, oulton and rothwell.

Its quiet but has decent road links. M1 and M62 either end.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d recommend Saltaire to the west of Leeds 15 mins on the train to leeds, great local bars, fantastic riding from your doorstep. Late train back from Leeds for nights out.

45 min cycle commute to Leeds centre not on a single road!

twohats
    Free Member

Having lived in both Seacroft and Armley I can safely say they are both sh*t holes.
    North Headingley, Cookridge, Horsforth would be the sort of areas I’d be looking at, great riding out that way too.

R.lepecha

Having lived in both Seacroft and Armley I can safely say they are both sh*t holes.

This I agree with.

Although Headingley is full of stupidents which is O.K, if you like that sort of thing.

john_drummer
    Free Member

There are some nice bits to east leeds, crossgates, colton, whitkirk. And south leeds too has some lovely bits, Rothwell, woodlesford and garforth are all nice

very true but they’re very much “out of town”; I was thinking more Halton, Harehills, Gipton, Middleton, Burmantofts, Belle Isle…

I’d recommend Saltaire to the west of Leeds 15 mins on the train to leeds, great local bars, fantastic riding from your doorstep. Late train back from Leeds for nights out.

45 min cycle commute to Leeds centre not on a single road!

I can’t argue with that – although Saltaire village itself can be a little overpriced compared with say Nab Wood or Moorhead, although you’re not really comparing like with like there

R.lepecha

I was thinking more Halton, Harehills, Gipton, Middleton, Burmantofts, Belle Isle…

And they are full of people out of mental homes.

Make your decision.

john_drummer
    Free Member

?

R.lepecha

Surely thats a joke.

stocker7385
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice so far if anything it’s increased the choice! Will look further into it in the coming week. Thanks

CHB

Harehills, Gipton, Middleton, Burmantofts, Belle Isle…

Avoid all the above. Basically anywhere within a mile of st james hospital (and more in some directions) is not where you should be looking!

Ah…MiddleClassWorld helps another customer.

iain1775
    Free Member

Belle isle Jesus no!
    I quickly moved from there to Robin hood near rothwell, half way from Leeds and Wakefield easy ro get to both
    Still my favourite place to have lived

gwj72
    Free Member

Ah…MiddleClassWorld helps another customer.

I think you (and others) might be mistaking middle class with worked hard. There is a difference.

CHB

gwj, I was being vaguely self mocking there. Its funny how we write off huge areas as being inhabited by dossers/druggies and thugs.
    I grew up in some of those areas, and though I have no desire to go back, I do appreciate its not all black and white in terms of good/bad.

gwj72
    Free Member

@CHB fair enough.

I grew up in a dump and would never go back. But I still have some mates there. I’m just detecting a tendency on this forum to equate higher disposable income with class. Whereas it’s probably more to do with just being a bit older and having worked hard at your job.

Kirkstall is a cool place to live anyway. I did a year there and it was close enough to town (nice commute down the canal), close enough to headingly without being on top of it and handy access out to the country to the west.

IanW
    Free Member

Think I have lived everywhere so far mentioned in this thread, cant say I look back fondly on any of the towns. Pudsey, Farsley, calverleys not bad. Headingley was the best but that was before it went student silly.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bradford is better. Leeds just doesn’t have the ‘soul’ that Bradford does.

It’s true so shut up! 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Leeds’ is closed to new replies.