Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Lee Quarry Travel and Info?
  • tjr666
    Free Member

Hi folks, I will hopefully (according to Chain Reaction) recieve my spanking new full face helmet and knee/shin guards tomorrow, so wanted to pay a visit to my first "proper" trail centre, namley Lee Quarry, Bacup. Problem is, the bike gear is a present and I am a student with no more loan left and hence I am skint. I also don't drive so was looking for a cheap way to get to Todmorden by train (I live in Glossop), trouble is from looking at the rail map for the coverage of a rail ranger ticket (£4.00) it stops being valid two stops prior to Todmorden and so does the System One card (£6.30) so first question is – any cheap day tickets or any other way of getting there that anyone knows of?? Secondly, I ride an upgraded Kona Blast 2008 (Marz MX Pro Lo 120mm forks, Raceface Atlas Bar and Stem, Sunringle Equaliser 23 rims) would this be suitable for Lee Quarry? (I have never rode anything other than natural trails before in the peak) and given the current naff weather does the place drain well? I would class myself as borderline intermediate in ability (I dont know anyone else who rides so dont really have anything to compare myself against!!). Thanks in advance!

Bregante

Your bike will be fine for Lee Quarry but I wouldn't suggest you need a full facer. Also, isn't Todmorden a fair way from Bacup??

robgarrioch

Can't advise on the transport, but the course is easily do-able on a 100mm h'tail, including the tech areas – you'd maybe want to do the red circuit first, have a good look at the black bits & decide if you want to try them. It's been wet the last 2 times I've been, & it's no worse than 'usual' (some standing water, but techy bits ok). There does seem to be a gritty quality to the mud that lends itself to chain-suck… There's a few shops nearby but no on-site facilities as such. Enjoy – it's a great wee trail.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

ok travel on your own there
    Drains well but does get muddy bit not unrideable
    You could do the red route on a rigid easily , nothing technical IMHO
    The black route – you can see it looking down into the Quarry from the top bit over on your left- if you reach the left hand 180 sweeping turn at top you have gone too far – hardest part of black is getting in to it the rest is easier [though last bit is tricky]
    I would imagine you and your bike will live

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no need for the full face unless you fall off a lot, even then if you go off the edge of the small cliff full face wont help much. You will be fit if you make it from Tod, you could aim for rochdale only about 6 miles but dh most of the way back

mafiafish
    Free Member

Not really rideable from Todmorden. It's nearer stackheads, through Bacup

tjr666
    Free Member

Not really rideable from Todmorden? According to theaa.com its approx 8 miles? Will look at Rochdale as well then, cheers for the advice!

wors

Not really rideable from Todmorden? According to theaa.com its approx 8 miles?

theres a fookin big hill in between though!

tjr666
    Free Member

theres a fookin big hill in between though!

Ahhhh I see…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

For the time it'll take to get from Glossop to Tod by train (changing and crossing Manchester?), then the riding there I'd honestly look to ride somewhere else. Lee Quarry is excellent for all the right reasons but if I had to travel more than 45 mins or so to get to it I wouldn't bother. Plus if you have the Peaks on your doorstep without any faff of travelling, I know where I'd be headed tomorrow.

ampthill

I'm glad we know the make of your handle bars, it can make all the difference 😉

Have fun

stumpyjon

It's perfectly rideable from Tod, yes there is a hill in the way but I thought we were supposed to be mountain bikers. There are a number of ways across in addition to the road, including Flower Scar road or you come in over Hades Hill. Either way it's definietly do-able from Tod. You could also ride up from Rochdale, flatter but still a climb, not a particualrly pleasent ride though, busy urban roads or you could come from Rochdale up over Rooley moor road (track, part of the Pennine Bridleway).

nigew
    Free Member

Stumpyjon has it right!
    Its not far if you go over flower scar.
    Come out of the station in Tod and follow the road from the car park, dont go into the centre but under the railway arch and follow Doghouse Lane up!
    Keep on this road for about 2 miles and you will cross a cattle grid, then about 200yds take the dirt track up the big hill follow this to the end then coast down the main road, there is also a track that runs parallel into bacup, have a look on the map for this
    Todmorden

Edit if you zoom in on the map its called Todmorden Old Road

snowslave

Dave has a point – it's good but it's not a very big ride. If you're going through all that hassle why not make a day of it, in which case riding from Tod would make it brilliant.

I'd get there via Flowerscar rd as peeps say. If you've got the legs, return via Inchfield Moor to Ramsden Clough – there are some great cliffside switchback descents into Walsden. Then packhorse trail via Lumbutts back to Tod. Or after Flowerscar Rd, go via Sourhall to Dobroyd Castle. There is a fab downhill from there into Tod to finish you off on a high.

Loads of other options, in fact it's hard to get back to Tod without throwing a good downhill finale.

DWH
    Free Member

It's only twenty five miles from Glossop to Bacup. Make a day of it and ride there and back by bike.

tjr666
    Free Member

I'd get there via Flowerscar rd as peeps say. If you've got the legs, return via Inchfield Moor to Ramsden Clough – there are some great cliffside switchback descents into Walsden. Then packhorse trail via Lumbutts back to Tod. Or after Flowerscar Rd, go via Sourhall to Dobroyd Castle. There is a fab downhill from there into Tod to finish you off on a high

This sounds more like it…I was thinking after returning my last post…''ang on, isn't going over big bloody hills the main point of all this…" anyway, is there a good map of this area that shows the quoted route? I have never been to that area before…

no need for the full face unless you fall off a lot, even then if you go off the edge of the small cliff full face wont help much.

Yes but I have looked at the pictures, its ridiculously rocky and even if I don't go off a cliff face, I'd rather not have a face full of rock! Plus the whole point is so I can practise technique and push it a bit so I expect to take a tumble or two! Thanks a lot though for all the replies, you are a helpfull bunch on here!

TonyL
    Free Member

If you are out for the day go and have a look around Cragg Quarry, its going to the the next place we build some trails in. Lots of stuff to ride there already, a bit remote though so best to go with a couple of other riders.

snowslave

tjr666, spot on! If you've memory map I can send you a route? Otherwise I can email you something?

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i live in todmorden and i have rode to lee quarry a few times, just start from todmorden and head towards walsden on rochdale road, and turn right at the arches which takes you onto bacup road, ride all the way up there and drop down into rottonstall/bacup and lee quarry is on the left near the big factory, ive rode there a few times, getting back is a pain as its all uphill lol, then downhill into tod so not to bad ;p

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You off on your own? 'Practising technique' is something I'd want to do with mates around and without an 8 mile ride back to the nearest station with a knackered leg/arm etc potentially!

tjr666
    Free Member

tjr666, spot on! If you've memory map I can send you a route? Otherwise I can email you something?

sure man just email: tj.robinson@hotmail.co.uk

You off on your own? 'Practising technique' is something I'd want to do with mates around and without an 8 mile ride back to the nearest station with a knackered leg/arm etc potentially!

Yeah, I don't have a choice though as I don't know a single other soul who rides *sniff*

If you are out for the day go and have a look around Cragg Quarry, its going to the the next place we build some trails in. Lots of stuff to ride there already, a bit remote though so best to go with a couple of other riders.

As above

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

PS – I'm not trying to put you off going, its excellent and Tony and his team have done an ace job up there but I'd be worried about the amount of time you're going to take getting there, on your own (?) to do stuff that is possibly going to push your limits. If you crash bad then its going to be one hell of a long, lonely ride home across the moors to Tod to have to then contend with a train journey of upwards of 90 minutes (?) back to Glossop.

tjr666
    Free Member

I'm not trying to put you off going, its excellent and Tony and his team have done an ace job up there but I'd be worried about the amount of time you're going to take getting there, on your own (?) to do stuff that is possibly going to push your limits. If you crash bad then its going to be one hell of a long, lonely ride home across the moors to Tod to have to then contend with a train journey of upwards of 90 minutes (?) back to Glossop.

Yeah unfortunatley being a solo rider these are basically the same worries I have on any ride, because, lets face it, man-made or natural trails are usually in really remote areas…I do like to push things, but its like controlled chaos, I am sensible and don't go for anything which is WAY beyond my capabilities, hence why full face and knee pads were a must for this and I always carry spare change for phone calls, a mobile and a first aid kit. All common sense really, plus its a Saturday, surely there will be other people there?!

peachos
    Free Member

no trains to rochdale at the moment.

snowslave

you've got a route with a couple of options in your inbox mate

tjr666
    Free Member

you've got a route with a couple of options in your inbox mate

As stated in email, cheers for that man!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but just to give a safety warning.Graham and I were up in the quarry on saturday and its pretty clear that motorbikes have been going THE WRONG WAY AROUND THE BURMS, A/ its carved them up and B/ theres a huge accident potential if you go around a blind corner. we spoke to 2 other users who said they's seen 2 men on motorbikes and that they had pointed an arir rifle at them !!!!

Andituk
    Free Member

There was two guys on a ratty looking bike on Friday too. Didn't notice any damage to the berms then though, but did notice there was a very churned up bit right at the end, that looked about motorbike tyre width.

Was anyone else there on Friday and see the guy crash on the jumps? Was he alright?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry Travel and Info?’ is closed to new replies.