Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Leccy and Gas
  • starseven
    Free Member

My monthly DD has just gone from £75 to £136 a month. I know its been a bit nippy recently but is that about right? Average semi sort of house.

Whats everyone else paying?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Just had the quarterly gas bill on the mat. £227 quid!
    With edf who are the cheapest in our area

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Not that. Newish 3 bed semi and we pay in the region of £30/month each for gas & elec. Get onto them, were you in debit to them on your last bill?

I had a problem like this a couple of years ago, they'd underestimated my bill, so when they got a reading suddenly we were miles behind, so they just lumped the monthly DD up massively to get the money back over 3 months.

This time last year I had to ring as we were 00's in credit, and take the spod on the phone through how to work out a monthly amount.

Me: "In £s, how much have we used in the last 12 months?"

Them: "£xxxs"

Me "Ok, so divide £xxx by 12 & that is my monthly payment, that should work out OK.

Them "That's not how it works, take £xxx and divide by 6, then add £15 per month, you'll never be out of credit again….."

😈

Get the company to explain how they've come to that figure, most customer service bods won't have aclue.

Just another thought, you've not just come off a fixed tarrif have you?

lowey

Mine went from 119 to 160. 3 bed semi with 2 kids and 1 wife who do not understand the meaning behind frugal.

vinnyeh

Ours went from ~95 in November to £125 in December to £195 this month- apparently we'd had too many estimates and not enough readings, and the arrears need to be cleared in a couple of months when the company's (eon) year ends. According to them it'll drop back down when they do their annual reviews, and they'll average our usage for the last year.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member
    Ours went from ~95 in November to £125 in December to £195 this month- apparently we'd had too many estimates and not enough readings, and the arrears need to be cleared in a couple of months when the company's (eon) year ends. According to them it'll drop back down when they do their annual reviews, and they'll average our usage for the last year.

This what they tried with me, but TBH they can't expect the arrears to be cleared in such a short time (plead hardship).

Use the last 12 months average usage, plus the arrears to calculate the monthly DD. Then you'll clear the arrears in a sensible time, and just revert back to a normal DD that should keep things in control over a year.

I wouldn't trust any energy company to review a customers DD promptly enough to work in the cutomers favour, lets face it they are quick to put prices up when wholesale prices rise, they don't reduce prices when wholesale prices fall.

TeaBoyPaul

4 bedroom detached and we pay £40 for electricity and £60 for gas, so £100 a month in total.. and I thought that was a lot until I read this!! Thats with EDF on their standard dual fuel billing. We just about break even over the course of a year so the DDs are spot on.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Currently paying £8.50 a month elec and £33 a month gas, through the winter. God you lot are wasteful! 🙂

SamB
    Free Member

I don't use DD (for the various "always in credit" issues discussed above), but just got through the gas and electric bill for the last 3 months. This is from accurate readings for a 3-storey Islington town house (high ceilings, no double glazing):

£431 gas, £146 electricity, both with npower.

Hurray for the British winter!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Leccy and Gas’ is closed to new replies.