Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Leatherman Multi Tool & UK law?
  • s
    Free Member

What is the law about having one of these in you bike tool kit on a ride?

Mine has a locking blade (Leatherman Charge) which makes it a no-no to have in public aparently?

Anyone know where the law stands about carring multi tools?

Ta

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Unless you are waving it at the cashier in your local fuel station I don't think plod will be bothering you.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i carry one most of the time for work. Pretty sure if you can prove it is necessary for your work then it's fine, this probably applies to a leisure activity as well

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I got in a bit of bother about 5 years ago over this.

I was going on a photoshoot to italy and took a gerber multi-tool with me (useful things for setting up shots/tripods/cutting gel etc). forgot to put it in checked baggage and realised my mistake bfore I went through security. Took the tool to the security guy and explained I had forgotten to check it.

He called the cops and I received an official caution for carrying a lock bladed knife in public. and nearly missed my flight. and had the tool confiscated. (never seen it since). the anger has only just subsided.

Generally, you've got to have a bloody good reason to have one these days, which makes me laugh considering how easy it is to buy them here. That said, you could argue if it stays in your camelbak, it's a useful tool to have if you're in the middle of nowhere and something breaks.

Drac

You'll be fine if you can prove it's for bike maintenance on the trail I would think. But if your foolish enough to carry it in an airport in your hand luggage then that's a different matter.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i think you got a jobsworth there, i've done the same and they gave me a padded envelope and let me post it to myself

coffeeking
    Free Member

IF you're walking down the street carrying it they'll get angry. If you're out on a bike or camping in the woods they'll be a bit more lenient. Technically it is very illegal AFAIK, so don't get caught doing anything else wrong at the time.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

But if your foolish enough to carry it in an airport in your hand luggage then that's a different matter.

Cheers Drac. top advice.

Drac

Cheers Drac. top advice.

My pleasure.

They never noticed my Alien multi-tool.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    IF you're walking down the street carrying it they'll get angry. If you're out on a bike or camping in the woods they'll be a bit more lenient. Technically it is very illegal AFAIK, so don't get caught doing anything else wrong at the time.

Best advice on this thread I'd say.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My mother had a lock knife taken off her in an airport – twice! she carries one for collecting specimens as she is a biologist ( and a bit mad) She wasn't prosecuted either time.

I think it goes back to the "good reason" for having one so if its with your bike kit then you may have a lawful excuse – if its just in your pocket then its harder to show. Its perfectly legal to have one in your house hence legal to sell them.

My understanding is that a small folding knife you don't need the "good reason" to be carrying it – a larger folding knife or a lock knife or fixed blade you do need a "good reason"

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Drac – Member
    Cheers Drac. top advice.

My pleasure.

They never noticed my Alien multi-tool.

so better to smuggle it onto a flight rather than be honest with security. hmmm.

duntmatter
    Free Member

The term 'offensive weapon' is defined as: "any article made or adapted for use to causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use".

The defendant is entitled to be acquitted if he shows on the balance of probabilities that:

* he had "good reason or lawful authority" for having the bladed or pointed article; or
    * he had the article for use at work; or
    * he had the article for religious reasons; or
    * he had the article as part of a national costume;

Jimbobrighton – sounds like worse than a jobsworth.. Another copper that doesn't know the law. A "lock knife" does not come into the category of "folding pocket knife" because it is not immediately foldable at all times; (Rv Deegan [1998] 2 Cr.App,R 121 CA).

Drac

so better to smuggle it onto a flight rather than be honest with security. hmmm.

Can't see where I said that.

crankboy
    Free Member

It is an offence to have one in a public place, as it is a bladed article that by virtue of locking does not fall within the folding knife, blade under 3 inches exception.
    It is a defence for you to prove that you have it for a good reason or lawful authority. So if the poice find it on you you will run the risk of a day in court where you have to prove your innocence on the ballance of probabilities. Given that the offence carrys up to two years in custody I would not chose to carry one any where.
    Can you prove you really need a locking blade for your ride?

crankboy
    Free Member

double post sorry

Drac

I use it to cut cable ties that I use for quick repairs and given the length of the blade and the way the law is it's far from illegal. I'd also say if you can prove there and then what it's for, hunting, repairs or work then your not likely to go to court.

If you kicking 7 colours of shit out of someone, get caught and found with a knife on you then your going to be in court.

uplink
    Free Member

I would have thought it was the job of the prosecutor to prove the case against you rather than you having to prove anything

crankboy
    Free Member

Sorry Drac but any locking blade is illegal unless you can prove a good reason . "I need it for work," is a good reason (if believed )for when you are at or enroute to work but not at other times. If you take a lock knife or fixed blade to cut cable ties you are running a potentialy expensive risk.

Woody
    Free Member

Seems to be ok as long as you have a leitimate reason for having the knife/tool. On a slightly different note I was rather dismayed/embarrassed to find a plastic Skean Dhu included in the finery last time I hired a kilt!

Quite amusing debate about this re National dress, and weapons carried as part of, in the House of Commons HERE

I particularly liked …A schoolteacher would not be especially well thought of if he suddenly took to arriving at school and conducting lessons dressed in Lederhosen and wearing Dutch clogs, not necessarily together.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've never needed a leatherman or other similar multitool on a ride, could someone enlighten me why I'd need a pair of (flexy) pliars and 5 different types of saw when in reality most bike mechanicals fall into one of 3 categories………

Minor….
    Puncture, worn pads, etc

Bodgeable…..
    Mullered drivetrain, just go SS,
    Split brake hose, go easy and avoid downhill sections

Serious….
    Youve actualy broken one of the bits that makes a bike a bike (wheels, frame etc.

Can think of a single repair that actualy needs a leatherman? Is it just a aharp, shiny gaget to show off in the car park? Just like the yoofs the law is designed to stop.

KennySenior
    Free Member

duntmatter I'm confused.

you quote the definition of an offensive weapon, then the various defences to a different offence (the offence of having an article with blade or point in public place), then say the cop didn't know the law because he said a locking multi took wasn't within the 'less than 3 inch folding pocket knife' exemption, which it isn't.

Can you clarify?

crankboy
    Free Member

uplink "I would have thought it was the job of the prosecutor to prove the case against you rather than you having to prove anything"
    NO, the prosecutor has to prove beyond doubt that you had the tool and it has a locking blade, or one over three inches, and that you were in a public place. the person with the multi tool has to prove the defence. That is why it is an expensive risk to carry one.

Kenny Senior, it's not just duntmatter lots of people get confused by the interplay between offensive wepons and bladed articles.

Milkie
    Free Member

Hmmm wonder what they would think with these in my boot….

I always carry a knife (under 3") with me in the car, on the bike, up the farm.

My boss got stopped for speeding, and they noticed a 3ft long knife on the back seat. They asked what it was for and why he had it, then let him get on his way! They did tell him to put it in the boot, so it couldn't be seen.

woody2000

uplink – they don't have to prove anything in this case as you were in possession of an illegal weapon(that's their prima facie). It's up to you to prove your innocence.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

could someone enlighten me why I'd need a pair of (flexy) pliars and 5 different types of saw

The pliers are anything but flexy. They're easily as good as many 'proper' tools.
    I've used the saw for trail clearing.

🙂

Drac

If you take a lock knife or fixed blade to cut cable ties you are running a potentialy expensive risk.

You've probably more of a risk fallen on the knife and chopping your head off.

Woody
    Free Member

and they noticed a 3ft long knife on the back seat.

Isn't that more commonly known as a sword 😯

Nonsense
    Free Member

Good lord the legal debates on this site worry me. Any knife which doesn't have a folding blade less than 3 inches in length is prohibited. The legislation in terms of a made, intended or used offensive weapon is irrelevant as a leatherman would be prohibited under the points and blades legislation quoted above. If you have a reasonable excuse for posession of the knife you are VERY unlikely to get arrested and even less likely to be charged with any offence. A reasonable excuse would include fixing your bike. However you might be better off buying a pen knife if you are that worried about it.

Drac

I think if your that worried about laws your better of no leaving the house but try to stay legal in the house too.

Milkie
    Free Member

Isn't that more commonly known as a sword

Nope; would you believe it, its for cutting Lettuce!

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I find my leatherman usefull for pulling thorns out of tyres and the file is usefull for roughing up tubes and taking the edges off metal burrs when stuff snaps or has worn badly and starts causing an issue en route.

Just make sure it looks like it's been used for bike stuff-i.e has greasy hand prints on it and you don't wave it about a lot.

In a perfect world I would recomend getting a cheaper version with a smaller non locking blade and maybe selling the better one on ebay to avaid any potential infractions should you come accross an ill informed security jobsworth. But only if you think it's likely that someone will decide to suddenly rifle through your kit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I've never needed a leatherman or other similar multitool on a ride, could someone enlighten me why I'd need a pair of (flexy) pliars and 5 different types of saw when in reality most bike mechanicals fall into one of 3 categories………

While I agree with you in theory and I only carry a multitool, once when with a pal we folded the chainring on the tandem by hitting a rock we used leatherman pliers to straighten it out enough to ride it again

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

What I don't get is why a locking blade is considered any more 'weapony' than a non locking blade. A locking blade is really only there to stop the user from chopping their fingers off – doesn't stop em stabbing somone does it??

avdave2

Until 2001 mine went with me on the plane all round the world. The only time it was ever questioned was on 2 flights to Edinburgh when they took it off me and put it in the hold. A colleague lost his recently but security at Heathrow kindly found it for him lurking in his bag. He'd been on at least 4 flights previously after believing it lost. They gave him an envelope and he went back out and posted it to himself. I've been carrying one for 15 years and never had any problems.

konabunny
    Free Member

What I don't get is why a locking blade is considered any more 'weapony' than a non locking blade.

I am not an expert/historian, but I believe the original legislative intent was to criminalise switchblades that spring open rather than, say, Opinels. Or am I talking nonsense? Wait – are those "gravity blades" or something?

thegreatape
    Free Member

That was my understanding too konabunny.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its that a small folding knife has an exemption from the law – and a locking knife is considered to be the same as a fixed knife from case law – so it is not the lock knife is singled out as dangerous ( like a flicknife or gravity knife) but that a small folding knife has an exemption which does not apply to a lock knife

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

When I go out for a picnic, my kitchen knife is a locked blade.

I use it to cut cheese. – Are you allowed to cut cheese with a locking leatherman?

jon1973
    Free Member

and they noticed a 3ft long knife on the back seat.

As long as it's accompanied by a 3ft long fork and spoon, I think you'd be able to convince a judge that you had it for a legitimate reason.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Leatherman Multi Tool & UK law?’ is closed to new replies.