• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Lease car problem
  • Pook

I returned a lease car about a month ago. It was inspected, and no problems were found by the guy picking it up. It was signed in ‘good’ condition and on the form where you can mark damage, nothing was flagged. He signed for the service book, the spare key and full service history.

Anyway, yesterday we got a demand for £871 for damage repair to the car for one thing I know was there on the door panel, which I accept, but then two more scratches which weren’t there when collected, a ‘soiled’ roof panel (where I missed it with the sponge when I cleaned it), and then the service manual, spare key and service history being missing.

I’ve disputed the claim and sent the copies of the form where he signed for service history, manual and spare key (which they incidentally had sent me initially).

Anyone had a lease company try this with them? Are they just trying to pull a fast one and hope that we don’t spot it so they get the Direct Debit claim?

We’ve cancelled that in preparation

tails
    Free Member

Tell them to swing for it he has signed for it in good condition! How the **** do the thieving bastards expect the average family to afford the best part of a grand!!

geoffj

Tell them to swing for it he has signed for it in good condition! How the **** do the thieving bastards expect the average family to afford the best part of a grand!!

So eloquently put. Robbing bastids.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The lease company our organisation use try this every time. Some times they get away with as everything wasn’t documented properly other times we end up not paying.

They do appear to try it on!

Spud

I have this to look forward to in the new year when my lease car goes back. I’m hoing to have it looked at by a bodyshop prior to this so I have a knowlegde of fair wear and tear etc.

hora
    Free Member

Slightly OT- Main reason why I would never get a (private) lease deal. Manufacturers etc always have a end of term ‘buy it now’ bug lump-sum price designed to put people off taking that option when faced with the ‘do up the car at punters expense ready for forecourt-resale’ huh.

If you don’t scuff the car you can guarantee someone will in your local supermarket.

Rich_s

Eeeek! Just sitting here waiting for my car to be collected. Best go check the headlining…

Spud

Thankfully mine is a company lease that I pay for the private miles. But I can see where any bill will land…

Pook

Hi all,

So, the resolution to this…. I sent my paperwork with their vendors signature signing off the car on collection as being in good condition, having its manual and spare keys etc.

They’ve just phoned to credit our account with £800+ (ie: the invoice amount) and the account is now resolved.

They simply tried to fleece us, and hoped we wouldn’t notice. We did, and they’ve completely backtracked.

Watch out for this everyone. They might try it with you.

Thanks for your reassuring advice at the time though.

Pook (aka Chris)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Pook – that is fricking terrible! Glad it worked out okay but the stress can’t have been much fun.

I’ve heard of this happening a lot with prestige/supercar hire companies too.

Pook

Mat, I wasn’t that stressed to be honest (maybe for the 2 minutes it took me to realise they were trying it on), more angry that they can try to take honest people for a ride.

Might give watchdog a tinkle…..

br
    Free Member

Helpful if its raining when returning a car…

Many years ago I returned my company car to the leasing agent, it was about 4pm on pi55ing down day in November. He just signed all ok.

The car had done 160k in less than 4 years – not a single panel was straight (well it was a Citroen) and inside, you don’t want to know, but my son had had a projectile vomit problem when younger…

The leasing company tried a claim too, I just faxed back the ‘ok’ – no problem.

uplink
    Free Member

I once handed one back in & on the form the collector wrote ‘needs polishing’
    I refused to sign it, I told him I’d looked after it as dictated in the handbook & then gave him the book & asked him to show me where it says I should polish it
    He said “everyone knows you need to polish cars”
    “Not me” was my reply 🙂

It didn’t help that it was a bright red car when new & 3 years down the line was a bit pinker 😀

project
    Free Member

Hired a car once for a weekend the chap came out, checked the depth of the tyres and also the filter etc, with an ultra violet light, just incase i had swopped them, before i brought it back.

It was a focus, worst car ive ever driven,

Cougar

I fail to see how they can have any claim at all once it’s been checked and signed back in. Glad you got it sorted.

Who was the company?

hora
    Free Member

Project. SERIOUS?

I’d be utterly ****.

One of the reasons why I hire from a local (wont name) company is their vehicles are already tardy but they charge market rates….

which means LET RIP….

project
    Free Member

Hora, Yep couldnt believe it ,he also rolled the car back abit to check the tyres in a few places.

I now also use a local independant, the cars are ok, well maintained but they dont go over them with a fine toothcombe like some do.

Another company,big long sermon on how lucky i wa sto have a van off them, keep it clean ,always check everything each day, clean the outside etc etc, opened the rear doors and it had half a hedge in it, shocked silence fromm the girl giving the sermon.Somebody hadnt emptied it.

Pook

Who was the company?

Network / Leaseplan. Avoid. Shysters.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I had a car on lease whilst mine was being repaired, as the accident was the fault of the other party I had a no excess wavor on the lease car. I absolutly hammered that car for 3 weeks, took it flat out down farm tracks, rallying around the country lanes, totally drived it like a tw*t all the time. When I returned it, it was in hell of a state – no dents just covered in mud. I just told the guy I had been cycling the weekend before and had to park in a field. He came out to look at the car and said ‘well I can’t see if there is any marks on it as it’s too dirty to see’ he then looked at his paper work saw the no no excess wavor, shrugged his shoulders and signed it off!!

Liftman

Network / Leaseplan. Avoid. Shysters.

Going through the exact same issue with them just now on a truck we returned in May,same issue with them saying the log book is missing, same form from the guy that collected it saying it was there. Already cancelled the direct debit when the lease ended.

Pook

Well if my experience is anything to go by Liftman, you might be ok.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Lease car problem’ is closed to new replies.