Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Learning to TIG weld. Suggestions for practice project!
  • pinches
    Free Member

I have an interdisciplinary week as part of my course where there are structured lectures to attend, or you can go your own way to learn some extra skills.

I’d really like to learn to TIG weld (can already use MIG), i have access to the equipment and some materials, but i’m not sure what to make as a starting point to learning.

Anyone done this and have any suggestions?

Cheers!

Junkyard
    Free Member

MMbop any fool can make them 😆

Bike trailer based on a bob?

Flaperon

I made a Z-shaped stainless steel table frame with a toughened glass panel on top. TIG welding is notoriously difficult. Can deliver impressive results if you’re good at it though (sadly, I’m not!)

Onzadog
    Free Member

At school, I made a wheel truing jig and dishing stick out of broken school table legs. I brazed that but TIG should work as well.

dropoff

Right, first off TIG is a piece of p**s. The proper test is to weld 2 pieces of 3″ pipe together whilst they are held in a vice at 45 degrees. You need flexibility in your wrist 🙂 Always have a sharp electrode and don’t be afraid to get close to the work, remember the further away the electrode is the larger the weld pool will be. enjoy it 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Right, first off TIG is a piece of p**s

not compared to mig/stick it isn’t
    my dad was an tig instructor/demonstrator and most people on their first go just blow through the wall of the pipe. anyone can use a mig and be up and running in no time as it’s just squirt and go.
    as you probably already know tig isn’t like that (especially thin wall stuff)

pinches
    Free Member

yeah i’m very aware it’s more like brazing then anything. Like you say, mig is quite easy, i’m not anticipating it to be easy!

Would you start on aluminium or use steel or stainless to start with?

dropoff

Start with stainless dairy tube if you can get it. 1 1/2″ is a good size. be sure to purge the inside of the tube whilst welding. It not only excludes oxygen but also helps to disperse heat from the back of the weld.

coffeeking
    Free Member

not compared to mig/stick it isn’t

Funny you should say that, I’ve used arc, mig, tig and gas (oxy/acet) (not to any professional level, but enough to get them all to produce usable results) and I find gas and tig easier than arc or mig personally. Each to his own.

bassspine
    Free Member

TIG welding is notoriously difficult

I’ve done stick, MIG, TIG, oxyarsetaline, brazing, soldering and forge welding and they all have their moments, but in nearly fifteen years welding (in a previous career as a blacksmith) I’d never heard that.

coffeeking
    Free Member

anyone can use a mig and be up and running in no time as it’s just squirt and go.

I also don’t find that true, sorry to be contrary! I find mig settings vary massively from one part of a workpiece to another, and it’s easy to miss that and end up with spattery bird poo. But as I say, I’m no pro so I’m sure he has more experience.

jwt
    Free Member

I would start with steel and see how you get on,( as i remember Ali being a little more difficult) get everything as spotlessly clean as you can, I remember it being very similar to gas, so maybe a play about with some gas as a starter?

Christian
    Free Member

As a Maintenance Engineer i have to do all types of welding and had proper training when i was a apprentice, have to say personally TIG is the one i struggled with the most, then gas welding, although after years of doing it, it becomes easyish.
    They are both very Intricate and take patience but once you get the settings right and your technique right they are both lovely to work with, very clean unlike ARC.
    Agree with the above about everything being as clean as you can get it and keep the electrode sharp, and your hand steady.
    Good luck mate!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Done a bit of MIG but for some reason prefer stick – probably becuase I’m usually trying to fix thicker bits of metal.
    The thought of being able to TIG weld is very appealy but it aint going to happen any time soon!

18bikes

I have taught myself tig over the last 4/5 years for our custom frames. Tig welding to pieces together is not difficult, doing it neatly (and on thin wll bike tube) is not so easy. All the recomendations I had for learngin (from Sheffield uni, other framebuilders and fabricators) was to cut up loads of pieces similar to what you will be using and just go at it, and keep going until you get better. It really is a case of practice makes perfect. If you can make a project as you go then great.
    this is about 1% of my learning pieces. It was much thicker wall but gave me a great start. We still have loads of that tubing left if you want, you can have it for free, but you’ll have to come and get it ; )

Once you start getting better, try to remember what you were doing different on that pass and concentrate on recreating it. I would recommend using a foot pedal if your planning any slightly thin wall stuff although i have never used a torch switch type set up.

The main hint I can give ( and people will think I’m taking the mick but I’m not) is to BREATH. It will make a huge difference. Soon enough you’ll have welds like the one on this page

The advice about backpurging is wise, it makes a big difference, as does stainless filler even on non-stainless but this doesn’t work in all situations.

Wow I can talk about welding!

Matt

mc
    Free Member

I always think of TIG welding as essentially gas welding, but using electricity instead of gas, and being far cleaner.

TIG welding still screws with my mind though, as I learnt to gas weld first, and I still have the habit of pulling the torch away from the work when things start getting too hot, which then makes things even hotter :-/

Macavity
    Free Member
    paule
    Free Member

this is about 1% of my learning pieces. It was much thicker wall but gave me a great start. We still have loads of that tubing left if you want, you can have it for free, but you’ll have to come and get it ; )

Do you still have that tubing left? I’d love to have some of it for my engineering lessons – I hope to be able to teach kids to TIG in a few years time (already teach brazing, and my colleague teaches MIG) and that would be pertect to practice on…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Learning to TIG weld. Suggestions for practice project!’ is closed to new replies.