• This topic has 65 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • LeanGains VS iDave Diet
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I came across this site earlier this evening and have been reading on it for quite a few hours now…

Do we have a contender?
    Anyone care to join me?

LeanGains

Junkyard
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences
    precise please – what exactly is it?

zilog6128

in a nutshell it is a method for getting “ripped” by eating very precisely wrt numbers of calories and ratio between carbs, protein & fat. The timing of meals is also important. Training is kept to a minimum, basically short but heavy weights sessions 2 or 3 times a week.

I actually find the homage site rippedbody.jp much more readable & informative. The author is also a lot more… stable… than the LeanGains guy 😆

sadexpunk

i used it to successfully lose weight and see my abs, but i just ended up too skinny on the whole, so started eating normally again to put weight back on.

basically its eating all your calories in an 8hr window, and zero cals for 16. you choose when that window suits. its advantageous to eat your largest meal straight after workouts, but not a deal-breaker. really i spose, its a more convenient way of eating for some people. rather than smaller portions of meals to drop weight, it promotes eating normal meals but in a shorter timescale. its easier for some, including me.
    if i was trying to gain weight though, i found it harder to stuff myself in that ‘window’ so went back to spreading it out over the day.

theres no doubt that leangains works, its just whether it suits your lifestyle.

wallop

That Lean Gains guy is bonkers. I mean, does anyone read all that? Do you lose weight because you don’t have time to eat?

IHN

basically its eating all your calories in an 8hr window, and zero cals for 16

And how does it work/what’s the ‘science’ behind it?

oddjob
    Free Member

there’s a lot of science behind why it works. if you’re not interested than I guess that’s cool, but some people are.

I’ve dropped breakfast most days and don’t have any trouble with that now that I am used to it

IHN

there’s a lot of science behind why it works. if you’re not interested than I guess that’s cool, but some people are.

Easy tiger. I am interested; that’s why I asked.

wrecker
    Free Member

Has he written all that stuff about skipping breakfast?
    I’m sick to the eye teeth with all of these fad diets. Carbs, no carbs. Fasting, low GI, 8 hour eating, no dairy, raw, paleo.
    The fact that nobody agrees on anything makes me think that none of them know what they’re doing and nutritionists are making it up as they go along.

davidjones15
    Free Member

The fact that nobody agrees on anything makes me think that none of them know what they’re doing and nutritionists are making it up as they go along.

Would you agree that healthy eating is a good idea though? Limiting junk food intake, reducing sugars etc.

Solo
    Free Member

LeanGains VS iDave Diet

I don’t think its Vs so much as just addiotnal / alternative information.
    I find the L/G site a bit of a drag to read and the Author’s style might be politely described as eccentric ?.

My limited understanding is that once food has been digested and insulin levels have dropped and a corresponding rise in glucagon has ocurred. Then the body uses its stored energy.
    HSL in fat cells breaks down triglycerides so that fat can leave the cells and be made available to muscle tissue to be used for energy production.

I guess the L/G method focuses on this process by having a moderately longer period of time during which fat is used for fuel.
    In addition to this, with L/G you are moving weights to stimulate muscle growth, if thats your thang. Which is when you’re messing with BCAA, etc.

Oddjob.
    I’m the same. I get up around 5am, I’ll cover a modest commute to work, but do not usually eat until lunch time.

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve been following leangains for 6 months or so (4h eating window most days) and palaeo for about three years and i’m shredded 8)

wrecker
    Free Member

Would you agree that healthy eating is a good idea though? Limiting junk food intake, reducing sugars etc.

Yep. I think you’ve written as much about diets in that sentence as the vast majority of people need to know.

Solo
    Free Member

Good post, just the point I was making on another thread. While people are given so many different stories is it any wonder that opinion is so divided ?.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Yep

Be off with you and your self promoted fad diet!! 👿

Solo
    Free Member

davidjones15 – Member

Yep

Be off with you and your self promoted fad diet!!

😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Be off with you and your self promoted fad diet!

Do you not think that there’s a huge difference between sensible eating and the fad diets I mentioned?

davidjones15
    Free Member

I think that low gi is healthy eating, that idave is healthy eating. Eating according to my secret method (no breakfast, seaweed only, heroin free, etc) that I will make available to you for the small investment of…. is a waste of time and fadlike.

wrecker
    Free Member

RTFP. Sensible was the word used.
    There is a massive difference between not eating rubbish and iDave. Are you going to tell me that potatoes and fruit are unhealthy?

Solo
    Free Member

potatoes and fruit are unhealthy?

Whats your opinion ?. 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Whats your opinion ?.

I reckon it’s fair to say they’re not unhealthy (in moderation of course).
    Whether or not they make you fat….I have absolutely no idea.

Solo
    Free Member

I reckon it’s fair to say they’re not unhealthy
    Agreed 🙂

Whether or not they make you fat….I have absolutely no idea
    They don’t always help, but some people can get along ok, ime, provided they exercise moderation of course

IanMunro
    Free Member

Reading all this has made me hungry and it’s still 40mins to go till mid morning tea and toast.

Solo
    Free Member

Reading all this has made me hungry and it’s still 40mins to go till mid morning tea and toast

In that case, shirley you can call upon the second breakfast rule ?.

alexxx
    Free Member

davidjones – he’s not trying to sell you anything!

anyway haters gonna hate – I don’t usually eat breakfast now (I did when I was iDaving). So I’m going to give this a go just out of curiosity and if I get ripped in the the process then.. “I’ll be back”.

soobalias
    Free Member

intermittant fasting is gaining popularity and its easy to see why it appeals, in the same way that the idiet/4HB makes use of a ‘cheat day’

it is completely at odds with the idea that you need to eat (small clean meals) regularly to keep your metabolism high

IanMunro
    Free Member

23 minutes to go now.
    Starting to salivate at the thought of all that butter.

IHN

My limited understanding is that once food has been digested and insulin levels have dropped and a corresponding rise in glucagon has ocurred. Then the body uses its stored energy.
    HSL in fat cells breaks down triglycerides so that fat can leave the cells and be made available to muscle tissue to be used for energy production.

I guess the L/G method focuses on this process by having a moderately longer period of time during which fat is used for fuel.
    In addition to this, with L/G you are moving weights to stimulate muscle growth, if thats your thang. Which is when you’re messing with BCAA, etc.

What’s BCAA?

Solo
    Free Member

Starting to salivate at the thought of all that butter.

Butter, you say… 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a21lpI5Xcg8&feature=player_popout[/video]

Solo
    Free Member

What’s BCAA?

Sorry, its on the L/G site. “Branch Chain Amino Acids

weeksy

intermittant fasting is gaining popularity and its easy to see why it appeals, in the same way that the idiet/4HB makes use of a ‘cheat day’

I started the fasting type one yesterday. Mate in work has seen great results with it.

alexxx
    Free Member

I was mainly inspired by the Horizon episode as well – where old boy saw great results from this whole fasting crack.

Solo
    Free Member

Just a word to the wise. When I was reading the L/G site, I think the writter pointed out that fasting was only really useful to him for a period of time upto 72 hours, but that the optimum duration of fasting was much less.

So, if you are going to give this fasting thing a go, just be careful and don’t make the mistake of thinking that the longer you fast the leaner you will become, cos I don’t think it works that way.

Good luck !.
    🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

I don’t plan on doing any 3 day fasts – just the standard start eating in a 6 hour window (or whatever it is) in the afternoon jobbie

IHN

So, if you are going to give this fasting thing a go, just be careful and don’t make the mistake of thinking that the longer you fast the leaner you will become, cos I don’t think it works that way.

Surely an indefinite fast will get you pretty slimmed down…

weeksy

I’ve gone for the Horizon version (so i’ve been told) which is 2 days a week of <600 cals.

I wasn’t planning on doing both days back to back, but i’ve started today with a <200cal brekkie, so may as well contiune for the day now and see where it takes me. My general plan is to do Tues/Thurs or Mon/Wed as my fast days.

I’ve got a few months before ‘lean’ even comes into the discussion lol.

Solo
    Free Member

Surely an indefinite fast will get you pretty slimmed down…

Just saying about what I recalled from the website, and, of course, not wanting to see anyone actually starving themselves.

I also believe that if one were to fast / attempt to fast for a long time, then the body is most likely to down-regulate the metabolism, sometimes referred to as Famine mode. Don’t overlook also that to meet the body’s need for some carbohydrates, it will, if necessary, start Gluconeogenisis.

I’d be interested to read about how those who are going to give this a go, get along.

zilog6128

The point of LeanGains is that, unlike a traditional fast, you do not restrict the amount of calories you eat. Although you fast every day you still need to eat the full amount of calories your body requires, just only within the specific “eating window”. You might find even find that if you follow the program fully (with heavy weight lifting) you have to increase your calorie intake to see results.

TBH this just makes me think that maybe there isn’t one correct answer and that there are multiple methods which all have some degree of validity.

ton

i think i will stick to the IDIET.

4 stone loss now, with not very much exercise.
    so i reckon it kinda works…….. 8)

alexxx
    Free Member

you say that ton… but your on that diet for the rest of your life if you want to keep it off. I bet loads of it is water loss as well (sorry)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘LeanGains VS iDave Diet’ is closed to new replies.