Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • LBS service issue – advice sought
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

Picked up my newly built Canyon Ultimate AL this morning 😀 from the LBS who built it up for me (already had wheels and bars).

Rode it around the corner and noticed they’d replaced my old skewer with a new one. No problem you might think, but that is the skewer for my turbo trainer. So, i popped back and asked if they still had it. A rummage in the skewers draw and it isn’t there – ‘I think the old one was replaced because it looked a bit ******. We’ll have a look and ring you later.’ Fine my me, easy mistake to make if you’ve not seen one before.

The bike rides like a dream, handles better than my old Kaffenback, accelerates brilliantly etc. I’m enjoying the ride to work. But then i hit a bump and ‘bang!’ – oh, dammit, pinch puncture… But hang on, the tyre is still inflated. Then i noticed the bars had rotated in the stem because the bolts were tight enough!

The bars are carbon and there are a couple of scratches (need a proper look later). I’ll be popping back to the shop later/tomorrow. What approach should i take? Bombers and make a scene? Demand my money back for the labour? Quietly suggest they check the bars for me?

wwaswas

ime you can torque bars/stems up to the manufacturers recommended setting and still get movement. Scratches are likely to be a) where the clamp is so not seen when refitted and b) cosmetic?

Were bars attached to stem when you delivered bits to them?

blurty

They should get you a new skewer for your turbo & go all over the bike torquing the bolts tight.

They should also give you a voucher or similar i think, in compensation for the aggro – £25 maybe? (a couple of hours of your time)

wrecker
    Free Member

What was the bang?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Speak to them nicely and point out that the consequences could have been MUCH worse than a scrape. Nice talking rather than shouting tends to get better results IMO.
    If it had been me I’d have checked all critcal bolts first, but im fussy like that.

CaptJon
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    ime you can torque bars/stems up to the manufacturers recommended setting and still get movement. Scratches are likely to be a) where the clamp is so not seen when refitted and b) cosmetic?

Were bars attached to stem when you delivered bits to them?

Hopefully just cosmetic, not bothered if it is just that. The bars were attached, but the stem was looser than when i check the bolts after the twist (i think)… i still expect them to check everything, though.

wrecker – Member
    What was the bang?

Presumably the bars twisting in the stem.

wrecker
    Free Member

Presumably the bars twisting in the stem.

Fair enough. Was hoping for something more exciting.
    I’d be quite firm with them. That could have resulted in a nasty accident. I’d certainly expect recompense.

FuzzyWuzzy

Tricky one, if they charged you for the replacement skewer they should def pay up for a turbo one. If it was gratis then although I guess they should still pay up I probably wouldn’t expect them to given they were just trying to do you a favour.
    As for the bars/stem – how loose are the bolts? Might be worth trying to torque them up to 4 or 5Nm, if they can still be tightened then I’d have words with them about not doing them up properly. If they’re already at 5Nm then as someone above posted, it is possible for bars to move after a decent impact when torqued to manufacturer recommended settings (I’d have hoped they’d used carbon paste though if they’re a decent shop).

thomthumb
    Free Member

if the bars are loose then they haven’t done the PDI check properly. this is pretty serious procedural error if they are qualified mechanics.

I’d be asking what you actually paid for?

cynic-al
    Free Member

As in life generally, if you go in and act like a twunt you’ll get less than if you are reasonable but firm.

CaptJon
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    if the bars are loose then they haven’t done the PDI check properly. this is pretty serious procedural error if they are qualified mechanics.

I’d be asking what you actually paid for?

A few parts (BB, front brake, bar tape – rest of groupset was from elsewhere/collected over time) + £40 of labour.

I’ll mention it when/if they ring me, and go in all friendly like.

jota180
    Free Member

As others have said, at least you’re OK

Take away from it the lesson that if you want something doing properly, you’re far better doing it yourself than trust someone who tells you they know what they’re doing.

thomthumb
    Free Member

A few parts (BB, front brake, bar tape – rest of groupset was from elsewhere/collected over time) + £40 of labour.

sorry i’m not sure i’m following (i am slow ;))

did they build the bike from a pile of parts (some yours, some new) and you left the shop with a complete rideable bike, if you did they should have given it a pdi imo.

bencooper
    Free Member

How big was the bump? If you were thinking it could be a pinch flat (on a road bike) then it was probably quite a big hit? If so, then not really surprising that something might move, even if tightened properly.

CaptJon
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    How big was the bump? If you were thinking it could be a pinch flat (on a road bike) then it was probably quite a big hit? If so, then not really surprising that something might move, even if tightened properly.

I assumed it was a pinch based on the noise, not the force i hit the bump (i’ve ridden over it many times on my commute).

thomthumb – Member

sorry i’m not sure i’m following (i am slow ;))

did they build the bike from a pile of parts (some yours, some new) and you left the shop with a complete rideable bike, if you did they should have given it a pdi imo.

Yes, pile of parts given (minus the ones listed i didn’t have) and left with a completed bike.

What does PDI stand for?

edlong
    Free Member

Pre Delivery Inspection

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah okay – yeah, have a word with the shop, even the best mechanics can occasionally forget things.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i can sympathise with the stem issue

stem will have one torque value and sometimes the bars will state a max torque for the stem. which may or may not be in the same ballpark as the stem.

i know which i use but which do you use…..

epo-aholic
    Free Member

defo be calm and nice….its nice to be nice 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

Do people not just nip bolts up any more?

Trekster

Do people not just nip bolts up any more?

One mans “nip” is another mans gotta flog it up tight 🙄 Come across that on a daily basis and have had many a discussion with colleagues 🙄
    The spanners I use most on a daily basis are 22mm, 27mm and 32mm. Lots of old imperial on most of the 40yr old machinery

althepal

Carbon paste on the bars/stem I take it??

glupton1976
    Free Member

Aye, but on bikes the more delicate components tend to have bolt heads that round before you get to silly tight.

mega
    Free Member

Aren’t Canyon an online retailer?
    Did you buy your bike online and ask LBS to put it together for you with some of your existing kit?

CaptJon
    Free Member

mega – Member
    Aren’t Canyon an online retailer?
    Did you buy your bike online and ask LBS to put it together for you with some of your existing kit?

Bought frame online + some bits i already had + bits bought elsewhere + LBS assembly

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘LBS service issue – advice sought’ is closed to new replies.