Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lazy company. What to do with their stuff?
  • Jolsa

My girlfriend got made redundant from a job nearly a year ago and not in the nicest way, the details of which I won’t go into here. Media/computer kit was supplied by the company for her use in the job.

Now after repeated calls for them to collect the equipment over several months, agreed dates which are then cancelled at late notice by the company, and suggestions to send a courier that aren’t acted on we’re wondering what to do with the equipment.

The latest contact was by email, saying that they’d collect late September and they’d be in touch to confirm dates. We’ve heard nothing. Doesn’t sound like they’re overly bothered, but it’s valuable kit.

It’s a stressful situation for my girlfriend who finds having to revisit this a bit upsetting, and the constant reminder of the stuff around the place doesn’t help.

Company isn’t local, and we don’t drive. In my view, given that they conducted themselves like a-holes at the point of my gf’s redundancy I’d say flog the stuff on the ‘bay. However I doubt the law would be on my side.

Fed up with providing a storage service, so what happens next? (in advance of the STW stock responses I have no bombers and can’t get to their shoes) 🙂

Send them an invoice for storage – it’ll soon be gone.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Gumtree.

Buyer collects.

Tell old employer to **** off if they ever ask for it back.

squiff
    Free Member

**** the company

Sell the stuff and have a great xmas with the money

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Registered delivery letter, tell them to collect and give a deadline, its yours after the deadline. ( dunno how legal mind you)

maccruiskeen

Nearly a year is too long, more than a week would have been too long really, but give them a date to collect it by, a reasonable amount of time like two weeks- making it clear that after that date it won’t there to collect any more – that way they collect it the situation is resolved and if they don’t collect it the situation is resolved.

ojom
    Free Member

Assuming it is entirely their property then you just need to tell them it is on the doorstep and they should come get it if they want it.

If they don’t get it then it’s not your issue.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

**** the company

Sell the stuff and have a great xmas with the money

As long as you’ve got proof that you’ve repeatedly asked them to come and collect it, then there’s bugger all they can do now. You’ve allowed them reasonable time, so you’re within your rights to ‘dispose’ of it I’d say.

CaptJon
    Free Member

That private sector sounds terribly wasteful 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

classifieds here?

nealglover
    Free Member

Big Yellow self storage would be charging £500+/year for their smallest storage space (very small)

I would send them an Invoice for that amount for the storage of their equipment

Give them 28 days to pay in full, and state that if the invoice is not paid within that time, the equipment will be sold to cover the costs.

uplink
    Free Member

I’d send them a letter giving them a final 14 days to collect it, after which time you’ll dispose of it as you see fit

Jolsa

Thanks for all your responses, the idea of just getting rid of the stuff and telling them that they had ample opportunity to collect should they get in touch in the future is appealing. Not sure how much my ‘rights’ back this idea up though.

Final deadline explaining it’s collect now or forget it sounds reasonable, if rather generous. Invoice for storage? Agree with that, but realistically can I demand this? *Googles for rather niche legal advice*

sugdenr
    Free Member

You’ve allowed them reasonable time, so you’re within your rights to ‘dispose’ of it I’d say.

This.

You have made repeated attempts to get them to pick up, you have no duty to communicate with them, its is 100% their responsibility. Its been a year, stop communicating with them and sell the stuff. As long as you sell it at a reasonable market rate (like ebay it), then if they suddenly come after you then you can account to them for the money you made less reasonable storage and admin charge.

If they try and contact you further simply refuse to speak to them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lazy company. What to do with their stuff?’ is closed to new replies.