• This topic has 65 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Nico.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Last minute slip road diving. Is it a Northern thing?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m just home from an epic road trip to Liverpool and Rochdale to collect some floorboards and plant with my Land Rover and trailer. Lumbering along, thrice I was nearly taken out by drivers crossing three lanes to just make a slip road exit. It used to be a manoeuvre you’d see on Police Camera Action when trying to evade the POlice, it’s terrifying to find yourself sharing the road with such bellendery

Was I just unlucky or is it a Northern thing?

Cougar

I don’t know as it’s a “Northern thing” but it certainly happens. Some people are fin du cloches.

mikey74
    Free Member

The reverse manoeuvre is also pretty “interesting”, as I’ve witnessed a few times. I would say it’s a “driver” thing, not a “Northern” thing.

jam-bo

Doesn’t happen in Cornwall. We don’t have roads with three lanes down ere.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Did they crash? No? Sounds like pretty cool driving to me.

80 pages

😉

Poopscoop

Another driving thread.

The perfect storm. 😀

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

As a Supermarket trucker who spends his time on the highways of North West England I can assure you it’s a frequent event.I’m not sure if it’s a behavior that’s unique to the North West though..

nealglover
    Free Member

is it a Northern thing?

Yes. It’s part of the driving test in Yorkshire.

(Done on a test track in Holmfirth as it’s not legal to drive on a motorway at that point)

survivor

Ahhh. The Three Lane Death Swerve….

I think as mentioned you may of just encountered some knob heads. Unsurprisingly they are nationwide and not limited to the north.

Although I did coin the above phrase in my youth after performing said manoeuvre and then getting pulled over by a copper sat on the roundabout of the junction. He wasn’t impressed. I’ve never done it again

Ohh I live in the north 🙄

jimjam
    Free Member

Have noticed it dozens of times in the North, of Ireland that is. It’s a behaviour that seems almost unique to the drivers of two car brands. No need to name them.

CountZero

Doesn’t happen in Cornwall. We don’t have roads with three lanes down ere.

True, you have to get into Devon before finding three lanes.
    And big trucks only have one lane to pull into at the same time as they indicate, so hitting the brakes is the only option, there being no outside lane to escape to.
    Still, having the two lanes over Bodmin will make a big difference come grockle season, once they finally finish it…

jam-bo

They’ve finished it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Up here it tends to be fannies already on the motorway determined to let folk in off the slip road, who then brake to merge behind them and then subsequently end up in some twisted reverse drag race until either the slip road runs out or the merger boots it hard enough to get out in front of the idiot who doesn’t understand the highway code.

Drac

3 lanes? We dream of dual carriageway in the North.

stumpy01

Happens down here in Cambridgeshire a lot.
    Last year someone hit the front of my parents car while doing it on the A1 at the exit of the Hatfield tunnel and then sped off without stopping…. 😐

So, not just a Northern thing!

tonyg2003

Nah it’s just crap driving and it happens everywhere in the UK.

Well except on the M25 since all 3 or 4 or 5 lanes are usually full in the rush hours – hard to move across one lane!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

It’s more that they are more multi-lane roads in England than up here.
    We’d **** it up just the same if we had the chance.

Rorschach
    Free Member

nealglover
    Free Member

3 lanes? We dream of dual carriageway in the North

I really hope you aren’t suggesting that “dual carriageway” refers to the number of lanes 😉

MartynS

It’s not really a northern thing, I see it all over..
    the last vehicle I saw doing it was a 7.5tonne rigid truck…
    it is however way more dangerous than going a bit over the speed limit whilst driving in a straight line.

ads678

I’m more shocked that someone from Scotland is referring to Liverpool and Rochdale as ‘northern’!!

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m more shocked that someone from Scotland is referring to Liverpool and Rochdale as ‘northern’!!

Agreed, That is quite odd.

I thought maybe he’d moved.

Imagine the removal quote paperwork…..

3 sofas, 4 wardrobes, dining table, 6 chairs…..
    12,000 tonnes of firewood. 🙂

Drac

I really hope you aren’t suggesting that “dual carriageway” refers to the number of lanes

Oh shit!

matt_outandabout

Just remember that Fife’s motorway is only two lanes each way…

Gary_C

Motorways are dual carriageways…

mattyfez

Too busy on the Sat nav/iPhone to look at the signs and then bolt left…

It’s a ‘sign of the times’

Ten minutes detour to the next junction to turn around safely.

Ain’t no one got time for that. Especially important people.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I thought maybe he’d moved.

Imagine the removal quote paperwork…..

3 sofas, 4 wardrobes, dining table, 6 chairs…..
    12,000 tonnes of firewood

I can’t ever see myself moving again, when I do it will be in a Viking style holzhausen cremation plume. I’ve left strict instructions that my sister in law has no access to my wood.

matt_outandabout

😆

ads678

I’ve left strict instructions that my sister in law has no access to my wood.

Your brother must be pleased.

nealglover
    Free Member

Oh shit!

Sorry 😉

I’ve left strict instructions that my sister in law has no access to my wood.

Solid life advice that 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

Last minute slip road diving. Is it a Northern thing?

No, it’s a **** thing.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Happens everywhere.

Amazingly the driver survived this in Belgium….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0E2Nxtm6o[/video]

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/driver-in-belgium-survives-the-most-deadliest-of-crashes-9800643.html

nealglover
    Free Member

Amazingly the driver survived this in Belgium….

Fooooooooooooock me!

That was horrific!

I actually flinched and closed my eyes watching that.

matt_outandabout

😯

P20

Having lived in Northumberland, I’ve found the driving standards worse the more you head south. West Yorkshire is pretty bad

nealglover
    Free Member

West Yorkshire is pretty bad

We are proud of it too 😆

scaredypants

Just to derail the family menage for a moment,

in the south we prefer our drivers to bimble down the entirety of the sliproad at 35 mph and pull onto the motorway 2nd lane (triple/quadruple carriageway 😉 as we’ve all got cars 8) )

Belgian driver presumably only survived as driver is on the left in them remoaner cars. Oh, and … 😯

squirrelking
    Free Member

Scardeypants, didn’t you get the memo? It’s a slip road, not a drag strip!

scaredypants

squirrel: HC 259, point 2 ? 😀

(I also missed out the important point … “without looking at all” )

garage-dweller

I believe that what mcmoonter describes is compulsory for at least 18% of all users of the M27 and M3. Of those at least half must cross the hatchings during the manouevre.

A further 17% must drive past a half mile long gap (hogging the middle lane at all times) before overtaking someone and then hauling on the anchors and swerving across into a gap that would have been plenty big enough had they not swung in to it still going 30mph faster than the car that is now straight in front of them but now seems alarmingly bigger and closer than it did 2 seconds ago.

Edited too long and self-indulgent!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Last minute slip road diving. Is it a Northern thing?’ is closed to new replies.