Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • laptop advice needed
  • cranberry
    Free Member

He should be a veteran by now.

Cougar

I was going to offer to take a look at it for you

THE LAPTOP!

cranberry
    Free Member

I was going to offer to take a look at it for you

THE LAPTOP!

The benefits of IT support – you don’t have to go and search the internet for filthiness, just make a “backup” copy of other people’s.

🙂

restless
    Free Member

he was nearly in tears last night when he told me it’s broken. i thought he was just upset about his laptop.
    i feel enlightened now 😯

Cougar

Ah, ok, so he is aware at least.

Make sure you tell him that you’ve specifically asked the repairman to search the hard disk for any important data he might have saved on there, and watch his face closely.

Cougar

(Poor sod, broken laptop *and* busted by his mother, I almost feel sorry for him. Still, it’s never to early to learn about offsite backups.)

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh.. aside from the silliness, have you checked the obvious external projector setting?

restless
    Free Member

have you checked the obvious external projector setting?

how ?

cranberry
    Free Member

Make sure you tell him that you’ve specifically asked the repairman to search the hard disk for any important data he might have saved on there, and watch his face closely.

Cougar

external projector setting?

Fn-F4 usually. It’s not likely if you can see the power on screens but not the Windows splash (loading) screen. Ditto most of the other suggestions, which is why I was trying to clarify exactly what happens.

Cranberry > Naturally. (-:

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

sometimes Fn+F8.

Cougar

sometimes Fn+F8.

I should’ve known that, given that that’s what it is on this laptop. 😳

sobriety
    Free Member

On mine it’s Fn+F7

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i’ve never come across a laptop that doesn’t default back to LCD only on reboot so i doubt Fn+F? will do owt

restless
    Free Member

ok. i took it out into the garden so i could look at the screen better. i pressed buttons and also gave it a wipe as it was pretty grimy.
    and yes i can see the windows screen with his name on it, just, it is very very dark, but it is there.
    i couldn’t see it before, when you guys first suggested it because i was indoors. and i didnt do the torch thing either.
    but it i can defintaley see it now 😀

restless
    Free Member

it’s still not right though.

Cougar

It’s the inverter then, as someone else suggested earlier. Given the history it might just be a loose cable, though they can be a right bugger to get at.

Cougar

(also,

it was pretty grimy.

… that’s not grime.)

restless
    Free Member

eeewww, i just wiped that off with my tissue 😐

cranberry
    Free Member

eeewww, i just wiped that off with my tissue

*tries very hard to ignore an open goal*

restless
    Free Member

t’s the inverter then, as someone else suggested earlier. Given the history it might just be a loose cable, though they can be a right bugger to get at.

thanks, you’ve saved me a lot of hassle. i would probably have just gone and bought a new laptop.
    if you were me, what would you do now, how would you get it mended?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

i’ve never come across a laptop

i pressed buttons and also gave it a wipe as it was pretty grimy.

tum-ti-tum

molgrips
    Free Member

Woohoo, I was right! Yeeha!

Changing an inverter is a fairly simple job as far as laptop fixings go, but if you’re not confident taking it apart then don’t even try because they are fairly intricate inside.

Should be a fairly low cost fix for a shop though.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Don’t forget to tell your son that this latest version of Windows is designed to shut you out if it detects excessive masturbation

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Don’t forget to tell your son that this latest version of Windows is designed to shut you out if it detects excessive masturbation

I can sell you an earlier copy if that helps you out?

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘laptop advice needed’ is closed to new replies.